Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peoples! New to the forum... Just picked up an 05 zx6r and I'm lookin to streetfighter it. First step for me is the bars. Does anyone know where I can get a handlebar conversion kit besides from spiegler? Tryna find a cheaper option. Any help's appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You could always just switch sides and flip your clipons. Cheap easy way right there.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The easiest way is to drill holes in your top tripple, and bolt a set of bar risers on there. Keep in mind that you're going to need longer cables and hoses, and your wiring is going to get pulled pretty tight so you may need to alter most of that as well.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You could always just switch sides and flip your clipons. Cheap easy way right there.
That's crazy uncomfortable on your wrists. Since the factory clip on is angled down about 7* when you flip them they're 7* upwards.

Here's what I built.

It's a first gen top clamp (lot beefier than the second gen) & I used the clip on location holes to make sure they were even. I can't remember what risers I used, but anything in 7/8" will work. I had to bore the yoke hole out to about 27.7mm & that was that.

On the bike.

At the time I did this, I hadn't found anyone who made a top triple / dirty bar conversion. LSL makes some for literbikes but they're stupid expensive.

The only thing I had to lengthen was my brake lines, which I got from speglier who makes an awesome product & get it to you quick like. However, I didn't have any switchgear. No matter as it seems like there's always extra wire on these conversions.

Anything else ya need to know, lemme know. Welcome to the dark side!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice... Thanks people, good advice.

Kawasakifreak... Sweet set up. Wanna build me a triple? Looks pretty tight! Also, I've seen those headlights you're rocking pretty cheap but they look nasty without that bikini fairing u put on. Did you make that yourself?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Thanks man. I'm way too busy to be fabbing anymore parts, lol! It's super easy to do. For more info on how to modify basically any bike on the face of the planet, you should come over here...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

That light came just like that. It's output (fixed with $5 of bulbs, it was fine) & build quality SUCKED though, even though it flowed with the bike perfectly.

When you fighter a bike, don't crap out on your lighting, as many (including myself once upon a time) do. I've had WAY too many close calls at night, even BELOW the speed limit due to shitty lighting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh true. LSL do a half decent light but again it's not cheap. Any advice on lighting options?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What did u do with ur display by the way? What's the best (cheapest ;) way to sort em out?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Excellent work on the triple clamp!

What did you do to fix the lighting? My friend has an Acerbis headlight on his KTM supermoto and it's total crap. Your pretty much riding blind at night with it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
What did u do with ur display by the way? What's the best (cheapest ;) way to sort em out?
Just a stand alone tach, what more do ya need? :bigthumb:

That unit is from Speedhut, very nice. I hear they're having a good discount sale right now. I had troubles getting the back light to light up, never could figure that out. I should note that Bonnie is no longer setup like this & she's no longer mine.

I'm now fightering a 10R, Fiona.

Hey, Sir Ray, are those sport racks any good? Thinking of getting one for my Euro trip in '12.
That rack is from Rentech (place out of the UK) & it was pretty damn sweet. Handy as all get out.

Excellent work on the triple clamp!

What did you do to fix the lighting? My friend has an Acerbis headlight on his KTM supermoto and it's total crap. Your pretty much riding blind at night with it.
Thank you. Find out the model of bulb it takes & get in touch with Mc Master Carr. They've got about anything you could imagine. That's where I got a pair of 12* 75W bulbs for the cheap headlight that transformed it.

Glad to help guys. Keep the fight alive!

-Sir 'Outlaw' Ray #21a

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Here what i did with my speedo

If you look above the headlight you can see some of it .and I don't have that headlight anymore it was too dim .. for me but if you do a handlebar conversion you could weld a plate on the handle bar instead of what I did thats only if you want tothem use the original speed ometer

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi all new here anyone know if another top yoke fits an 06 636 so I can put flat bars on any info would be great cheers ryan

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Hey, Sir Ray, are those sport racks any good? Thinking of getting one for my Euro trip in '12.
I had one on my 09 and used it for my trip to Florida. Last week I cut the back end off and I have just the sport bar on now but not the rack part. Its not as big as it looks. I just strap things on the seat and to the bar. Most everyone said it looked gay the other way before I cut it. Im not sure if they sell it both ways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts