Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Vid was funny, so what happened, or better yet, why? Pretty clear on the 'what'
Looks like you got too low and snagged the road...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was a mix of stuff. Cold tires, bad body positioning, bad line, too much steering input/heavy on bars, and tried to correct mid line. Thanks to everyone in the racing section I know what I need to fix :) best part is that the bike is completely okay. Went out for the last session after that crash no prob. The frame sliders did their job.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3b in the chicane? Short clip, but that is what it looked like to me. I went down in that exact spot on my very first track day :devious

At least your bike didnt flip when it slid off the track!
You nailed it! My inexperience + confidence in left turns + not know what max lean angle should = slide lol

Never in my life have I attempted to hit the lean angles I did that day. It felt like I was flying.

Glad the bike didn't flip! Would've made a cool video though. :devious

Glad u ok !!! Made me laugh a bit actually a lot not that you fell just way u made video!
Haha I made it in good fun for everyone to laugh at! :laugh

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Work on your body positioning. In that video, I really dont see you sliding that butt off the seat at all nor moving your upper body off center. The more you get your body off the bike, the lower the lean angle you will need.

Also, what tires were you using and were you diligent about tire pressures?

Its ok to go down, we all do it, and the track is the best venue for it. Its a learning experience each and every time and if you keep riding track, chances are you will go down again :eek:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Work on your body positioning. In that video, I really dont see you sliding that butt off the seat at all nor moving your upper body off center. The more you get your body off the bike, the lower the lean angle you will need.

Also, what tires were you using and were you diligent about tire pressures?

Its ok to go down, we all do it, and the track is the best venue for it. Its a learning experience each and every time and if you keep riding track, chances are you will go down again :eek:
Yaa I realized after watching the video when I got home I suck with body position. The Rider Coach/Instructor for our Intro School at the track told us not to worry about it for our first day. Been practicing hanging off around the street (not dragging knee) just being comfortable, and I found that I can make most turns just by pointing my head towards the apex, and the bike barely even leans!

I'm running Q3s I had 31f 34r. Yeah, I know it'll happen again. I want to attempt to get a bunch of saddle time next year, and maybe eventually get a AM license. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yaa I realized after watching the video when I got home I suck with body position. The Rider Coach/Instructor for our Intro School at the track told us not to worry about it for our first day. Been practicing hanging off around the street (not dragging knee) just being comfortable, and I found that I can make most turns just by pointing my head towards the apex, and the bike barely even leans!

I'm running Q3s I had 31f 34r. Yeah, I know it'll happen again. I want to attempt to get a bunch of saddle time next year, and maybe eventually get a AM license. :)
I'm no expert, but you may want to lower your rear psi. Front is probably ok at 31. I am experimenting with Q3's myself. Going to try 30/30 cold at Jennings in September. I was at 33 front and 32 rear last track day and from the wear pattern I didn't have as much contact patch as I would have liked.

Reactions: Rickyyp

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont run Q3's but that seems a bit high.

I could swear that someone told me 32 hot front and rear is a good starting point.
Ya I've read a bunch of things. I will be keeping track of my tire pressures from now on, but I wasn't too worried about it there though. I doubt I was pushing the bike hard enough to where a couple PSI would make or break me.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I doubt I was pushing the bike hard enough to where a couple PSI would make or break me.
You would be surprised. Tire pressure is pretty crucial at ever pace.

Fairly certain the lowside I had on my first track day in the same spot was due to cold tires that were over inflated. Definitely something to keep in mind.

I would ask the vendor at the track next time what he thinks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You would be surprised. Tire pressure is pretty crucial at ever pace.

Fairly certain the lowside I had on my first track day in the same spot was due to cold tires that were over inflated. Definitely something to keep in mind.

I would ask the vendor at the track next time what he thinks.
Good point! I asked one of the vendors about my suspension, so I don't know why I didn't ask the dunlop guy about my tires :coocoo

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Good point! I asked one of the vendors about my suspension, so I don't know why I didn't ask the dunlop guy about my tires :coocoo
I would recommend next time you get out there you spend the $40 to get a baseline setup from the suspension guys. It is $40 well spent. At that time, definitely have that tire pressure conversation.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Just catching up to this...funny video!!

I know this was discussed ad nauseum in your other thread so I will leave the riding comments alone but I would like to say that your PSI is high.

For street tires, almost universally, 30/30 is where we recommend starting.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I didn't post since I wasn't sure if the PSI you posted were cold or hot temps. I usually start the day at 30F/29R and use 33-35F/34R hot off the track (which I check every time). By the end of the day, I have usually taken a few PSI out of the rear. I have found them to be fairly squirmy to start if set too low. These guidelines are what I used for the 650. On the stock tires for the 636, I have followed the same guidelines and they have been damn near perfect. I now have a set of Q3's on the 636 and plan to follow the same guidelines.

The quote below is straight from Dunlop. I start a bit lower based on my own testing and preference. Another Dunlop rep mentioned going much lower doesn't gain more traction, it will only wear out the tire faster. Either way, like tires themselves, everyone has their preference.

The best and easiest way to set your tire pressure is to start at 33psi cold front and 31psi rear, do a track session, then as soon as you come off the track, check your pressures and adjust them to 35 front and 34 rear for the Q3s. Don't be worried to try +-2psi depending on how polished or coarse the track surface is. Lower psi for more polished tracks and higher psi for more course tracks.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
3b in the chicane? Short clip, but that is what it looked like to me. I went down in that exact spot on my very first track day :devious

At least your bike didnt flip when it slid off the track!
Yup....my buddies bike flipped last year on the same turn, he lowsided and was fine...but when the bike clipped the exit point/curb it did a couple of flips lol.

Hope your alright Ricky!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't post since I wasn't sure if the PSI you posted were cold or hot temps. I usually start the day at 30F/29R and use 33-35F/34R hot off the track (which I check every time). By the end of the day, I have usually taken a few PSI out of the rear. I have found them to be fairly squirmy to start if set too low. These guidelines are what I used for the 650. On the stock tires for the 636, I have followed the same guidelines and they have been damn near perfect. I now have a set of Q3's on the 636 and plan to follow the same guidelines.

The quote below is straight from Dunlop. I start a bit lower based on my own testing and preference. Another Dunlop rep mentioned going much lower doesn't gain more traction, it will only wear out the tire faster. Either way, like tires themselves, everyone has their preference.

The best and easiest way to set your tire pressure is to start at 33psi cold front and 31psi rear, do a track session, then as soon as you come off the track, check your pressures and adjust them to 35 front and 34 rear for the Q3s. Don't be worried to try +-2psi depending on how polished or coarse the track surface is. Lower psi for more polished tracks and higher psi for more course tracks.
Ya the psi I posted were cold temps. thanks for the information though. I'll be keeping track of my tire pressure nx track day for sure!

Yup....my buddies bike flipped last year on the same turn, he lowsided and was fine...but when the bike clipped the exit point/curb it did a couple of flips lol.

Hope your alright Ricky!
Im all good man thanks! Really glad I didn't flip the bike. Would've sucked to have to fix everything after only one track day. haha

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, you got your knee down on your first track day! :lol:
AND my elbow! making Marc Marquez proud! :lmao:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts