Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just replaced a water pump with a mix of parts from two separate used water pumps. It sounds like right behind the pump cover there is a grinding noise coming from the impeller possibly! Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
Oil and water pumps share the same shaft, and are 'stacked' on that shaft with a ceramic bearing separating the oil and coolant. There's (I seem to recall) some springs and washers that maintain the correct spacing for the impellers. Break out the shop manual and make sure you have the right pieces in the correct order.

I would not consider used parts a great idea for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil and water pumps share the same shaft, and are 'stacked' on that shaft with a ceramic bearing separating the oil and coolant. There's (I seem to recall) some springs and washers that maintain the correct spacing for the impellers. Break out the shop manual and make sure you have the right pieces in the correct order.

I would not consider used parts a great idea for this.
My washer was brittle and broke that’s probably the only part I’ll order new and replace. I normally wouldn’t go with used parts but I got the bike for dirt cheap as a second bike. I don’t want to order a new water pump setup for 1/4 of what I bought the bike for. This’ll be a play fun bike until I ride it into the ground

1 - 5 of 5 Posts