Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for allowing me in your illustrious club. :BigGrin

I recently became the proud owner of an 06 ZX6R, an upgrade from a Ninja 300. Still grinning every-time I ride it. Well, almost.

Had my first mechanical issue on my commute home this week. Went to shift into 5th, and my foot couldn't feel the gear shifter. Repositioned my foot, tried again, not there. WTH? Looked down and it was gone! On closer inspection, it was clinging by the rubber knob on the inside of the foot peg.

This posed a dilemma. If I pulled over now, would I be able to get it into first to start out again? I opted to ride the remaining 20 miles home and pull over on the offramp. It was a little nerve racking trying to keep the RPMs up in traffic - good thing CA allows lane splitting.

I ended up pulling over right before my offramp, because the shift lever slipped off the peg, and I was worried about it getting caught in my chain. Probably should have thought of that sooner. After pulling over, I was able to shift the gears down by hand, but could not get it to pop into neutral. Oh yeah, another small issue with the bike - clutch switch is removed, can only start it in neutral. :frown

A tow truck driver stopped behind me, and he had some wire - I wired the shifter lever to the bike so it wouldn't be flapping around. Decided my best option was to bump start it. Except I was on the upside of a significant hill. :eek: Ended up coasting down the shoulder in the opposite direction, third try and it came to life.

Anyone else with some interesting "oh sh%$!: mechanical issues while riding? :laughing

Oh, and last week a lady almost took me out with a lane change on the freeway. Side note, the turns signals on the Mitsubishi Outlander are a terrible design IMO, hard to distinguish from the running light in dusk. She did give it one blink when I was about 10 feet from her bumper.

TLDR - rambling, not so interesting story from a newbie rider. :cheers

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I had the clutch cable snap on my 2008 Ninja 250R. To get home I had to let it bog down and die at every stop light, then start it again in 1st gear (the bike moving forward with the starter) to get going again. Then I was able to shift just fine without using the clutch until the next stop light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome!

I had the clutch cable snap on my 2008 Ninja 250R. To get home I had to let it bog down and die at every stop light, then start it again in 1st gear (the bike moving forward with the starter) to get going again. Then I was able to shift just fine without using the clutch until the next stop light.
That sounds much worse. I've never tried to start a bike with the clutch out, imagine its a little tricky to get the throttle input right. :laughing

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Had a crankshaft break while riding home from AZ decades agao, road it the rest of the way home on 2 cylinders...........

Had a semi tire delaminate and the 100# slab of tread skin flew off and took off the mirror and the signal and quickly applied the brakes and turned the bars slightly- thankfully it did not hang up there and all was okay sans the missing mirror and signal and the about 2' line change in the passing lane...

Have had numerous customers bike fail on the original test ride, dead batteries- bad charging systems, to flat tires, no brakes-locked up brakes, broken chains etc..........

but likely the scariest encounter............. having deer run into you mid turn at 70ish mph and ending up off the road with a deer carcass dragging under the bike as you finally get stopped........ thankfully still on two wheels

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a crankshaft break while riding home from AZ decades agao, road it the rest of the way home on 2 cylinders...........

Had a semi tire delaminate and the 100# slab of tread skin flew off and took off the mirror and the signal and quickly applied the brakes and turned the bars slightly- thankfully it did not hang up there and all was okay sans the missing mirror and signal and the about 2' line change in the passing lane...

Have had numerous customers bike fail on the original test ride, dead batteries- bad charging systems, to flat tires, no brakes-locked up brakes, broken chains etc..........

but likely the scariest encounter............. having deer run into you mid turn at 70ish mph and ending up off the road with a deer carcass dragging under the bike as you finally get stopped........ thankfully still on two wheels
:eek: I'd be afraid to get back on the bike for a few days after some of those.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts

That reminded me of this incident that happened one day on my way to work:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts