Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a bike GPS fitted?

I am 'dog-eggs' when it comes to finding my way about at the best of times, let alone as a 'soon to be' new rider.

I am casually eyeing a GPS system with a mount and would appreciate any suggestions or experiences..

Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use a RAM MOUNT for my phone, which I use for gps. they have various mounts for pretty much any set up and any configuration. i have a stationary mount that is mounted to one of the fairing stay mounts, which the arm attaches to. I also have the stem mount which the arm can be moved to. But RAM has you covered.

Some just use tank bags that the gps slides into also.

And there are some mounts that attach to your gas tank, not sure who makes that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i had a garmin quest(made for bikes) a few years ago. they changed to a newer better unit now. I had a tank mount from ebay that was for gps and or cameras. then made a arm to bolt to the tank mount and the gps mount bolted to this arm. then just click in the gps and go.
heres some pics i did while still testing (thats y they are rubberbands installed not bolts) and then if u look just infront of my elbow/gut you can see the gps installed and rider installed. and if i had gsp and tank bag on bike i just turned tankbag 180 deg. around and it fit like a glove (gps and bag center magnet wanted to same space so 1 had to give.

GPSclose by BadAssRX-7, on Flickr

GPS far by BadAssRX-7, on Flickr

On bike GPS by BadAssRX-7, on Flickr

gps with tankbag in place by BadAssRX-7, on Flickr
I always think the locks holding stuff like a phone or gps are gonna fail and byby toy i had installed on car or bike so i have a habit of slapping a rubberband around items just incase they ever try to depart.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Ram stem mount which works if you don't have a damper:

Home made mount using a regular suction cup mount dremmeled down and wedged into the steering stem hole (since replaced with a Ram mount):

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ya, these ninjas are hard with no handle bars. My 650 had bars so that was easy to make a mount for. I am going to use PG idea with my iphone.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Made my own for $2.
PG that is so boss. You should pitch that to some GPS companies. Bet they could sell the same thing for $20. That is real clean looking. Prob going to have to do the same thing myself.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I made PG's GPS mount for my cell phone. It worked great until I switched phones....

Used the bracket and Epoxy.
Yeah I'm getting pretty tired of having to pull off to the side to check my phone if I'm going the right way. Sucks that my phone doesn't pick up the fingers through my gloves though :(

Reactions: 02TriggerZx6

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome stuff, thanks very much.

I have a ZX6R 02 and there is a frame almost in the way of using the RAM solution. ANyone got any experience of how to get around that fucker? ;)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Does anyone have a bike GPS fitted?

I am 'dog-eggs' when it comes to finding my way about at the best of times, let alone as a 'soon to be' new rider.

I am casually eyeing a GPS system with a mount and would appreciate any suggestions or experiences..

Cheers
If you've got an iPhone download gps navagation 2 from the App store it works a treat! Set your destination lock the screen and put it in your pocket, put your head phones in and away you go!

Better than buying a $200+ gps.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Ram stem mount which works if you don't have a damper:

Home made mount using a regular suction cup mount dremmeled down and wedged into the steering stem hole (since replaced with a Ram mount):

Did you hook it up to your battery so it trickle charges?

Otherwise you'll only get 2hrs and it's dead!

·
Registered
371 Posts

I have a ZX6R 02 and there is a frame almost in the way of using the RAM solution. ANyone got any experience of how to get around that fucker? ;)
you can use the frame bars for the mirrors off the 05-07 zzr 600 and you can free up the space above your bars

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Trust me mate, don't waste your money on a sat nav when you can do what I said!

That's if you've got an iPhone that is?

Reactions: choffster

·
Registered
140 Posts

I have 2 ram points. 1 is just the 1" ball and a single hole mount, which I have mounted on the bolt of the fairing stay. That mounts it up to the left of the Speedo, though I can't always see my tach. The other solution is the stem mount since I don't have a stabilizer. That works fine also.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I use a joe rocket tank bag. my TomTom fits nice and snug, and it doubles as a waterproof holder!

You should check out my DIY for a 12v accessory port if you plan on using it for extended time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts