Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to switch the shift pattern over to the GP shift pattern on the 06's?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I don't know about the 6's specifically, but most bikes it's just a matter of moving the arm on the shifter shaft.

But if you have rods running through frames etc there might be kits needed that have weird shaped rods / arms or shifting pedals.

TLS was easy.

Normal 1 down 5 up

Race: 1 up 5 down

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I can't see those pics unless I register. :(

Right click, "save-as", then upload them here so we can see them :devious

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here are pics of my 2005 636 with free GP set up. I had a 2003 636 but the front sprocket cover was in the way but on the 2005 the front cover is recessed so the shift rod will clear. You will have to space (red arrow) the pivot point of the shifter with 2 small washers from your local hardware store. unbolt pivot point and reuse single washer already on bike then add 2 washers then retighten bolt, you should be able to feel bolt on back side of bracket when tight, normally this bolt protrudes through bracket about 1 to 2 millimeters stock, it should be flush with bracket after mod.You will have to flip the piece connected to the gearbox 180 degrees and pull out as far and still have the bolt that runs through it tighten.It will have about 1 to 2 millimeters play when bolt is loose this is normal. You will only have about 1 millimeter between shift rod and frame but it works and best of all its FREE.

(NOT MY BIKE, TAKEN FROM KAWIFORUMS.COM)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
be careful when u do the gp shift, make sure u locktite that bolt that is pictured above with the red arrow, if u dont it will back out on u on the highway like me and my bike had to sit like 1.5 weeks while the parts came in the mail. learn from my mistake

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info, thanks guys.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone on here give it a shot yet? I'm thinking about it but is there anything other than locktite to be aware of? Free-play or mystery bolts? Anything like that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts