Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I think my stock pads got contaminated from oil, and I cleaned them a ton and they still don't feel right. Stupid me. So they're a write off.

Anyway, was trying to decide on a good upgrade from stock if I'm going to buy new pads. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the stock pads are basically HH sintered pads, right?
I saw EBC has an EPFA "road race" pad, designed for street use mostly, but suitable for the "occasional track day" as well, and that does most accurately reflect my bike's usage. They seem to have quite fast warm up, but handle the heat relatively well.

Any other recommendations? I would try to be unbiased in classifying my own riding style as "mostly spirited street riding", but the bike will definitely see some track time during the season. I am mildly demanding of my brakes when riding hard, but no where near any limitations on the equipment. Just, if there is something better worth replacing it with, might as well.

Not really picky on brand or price, I just want something that performs great, and doesn't wear out significantly faster than normal HH type pads, but differences in wearing are expected with different pads.

Thanks in advance.
-Mike

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
RJL's are great
the EPFA are very very good
The GPFA is also very good but is super fucking excellent once warm

even the standard HH pad is better than the oe pads............ oe pads are more inline typically with the non HH ebc pads

Whatever pad you decide on........... Make sure to super clean your rotor with hot soapy water and a scotchbrite pad, or even go crisscross with a sanding block of 220grit or finer......... then wash thoroughly, then go out and properly seat in your new pads well before use as normal.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, yeah I was going to ask about the rotors too.

My brakes were contaminated with oil, and of course I would clean them with brake cleaner and such, but yeah I was going to ask about scrubbing the rotors.
I figured if my pads have crap on them, then it may be coated into the surface of the rotors as well. I was planning on some scotch brite pads for sure, not so sure on sanding since the rotors are relatively new at around 5000mi only, maybe a pretty fine grit around 600 or so. Should I wet sand or just sand it normally?

Also, should I clean out the vent holes drilled into the braking surface? I am worried some buildup has gotten in there that is contaminated as well, and I sure as hell don't want it ruining my new pads. Maybe a tiny metal brush attachment for the dremel and feed it through each hole? or just a little brush to shove through them? Is that a big deal or no?

I just want this stupid oil gone for good, and my brakes to be back to normal. It sucks sitting in my garage, lol.

The calipers are pretty clean too, but I may use a toothbrush and simple green on the pistons just to get the crud out of them if I am pulling the whole thing off anyway.

Thanks for the tips, any more?

-Mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
If their was oil on the pads and rotors, I’d take the rotors off the wheel and hose them down with brake clean. Then scrub them with simple green and scotchbrite in the sink. If you were super anal, you could try to clean out the holes with a q tip.

And definitely clean the calipers with simple green and a toothbrush. You don’t need a lot of simple green either. You can dilute it down quite a bit and it will still cut through the brake dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,010 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Don't use sand paper on your brake pads or rotors! It can cause other issues:

"Do not use regular sand paper or emery cloth as the aluminum oxide abrasive material will permeate the cast iron surface and make the condition worse. Do not bead blast or sand blast the discs for the same reason."

Basically, it can cause your rotors to rust.
Then what is the best way to clean them the most aggressively possible without damage? Just scrubbing and brake clean? The surface is in very good condition.

Thanks for the heads up.
-Mike

Edit: that link you posted about brake rotor issues, I do see on my rotors an uneven deposit of friction material at even intervals around both rotors in the same places. Is that normal? Did I break in the pads wrong? There is no perceived roughness in the braking action as far as I can tell. I could get pictures of it later.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are pictures of my rotors as of today. The material deposition wasn't as bad as I remembered it, but it is there nonetheless. It's been there as long as I can remember. The material is deposited evenly with the drilled holes in the rotors though, is that a coincidence? Do the holes scrape the pads slightly differently and cause that? My 300's brake rotors look spotless and shiny ish all over compared to these...

Are my rotors in decent shape? 5100 miles of moderately hard riding.

I ordered EBC standard double H pads for this time btw.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Here are pictures of my rotors as of today. The material deposition wasn't as bad as I remembered it, but it is there nonetheless. It's been there as long as I can remember. The material is deposited evenly with the drilled holes in the rotors though, is that a coincidence? Do the holes scrape the pads slightly differently and cause that? My 300's brake rotors look spotless and shiny ish all over compared to these...

Are my rotors in decent shape? 5100 miles of moderately hard riding.

I ordered EBC standard double H pads for this time btw.
Your rotors are practically brand new. I would just bed the new EBC pads in per the instructions on the EBC web site: Bedding in new motorcycle pads and rotors - EBC Brakes

If you are worried about the rotors, just give EBC a call and ask them for a recommendation on what to do to prepare the rotors for the new pads.

I also run EBC HH Sintered pads. They may be squeaky for the first couple hundred miles. Here is my video on this:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your rotors are practically brand new. I would just bed the new EBC pads in per the instructions on the EBC web site: Bedding in new motorcycle pads and rotors - EBC Brakes

If you are worried about the rotors, just give EBC a call and ask them for a recommendation on what to do to prepare the rotors for the new pads.

I also run EBC HH Sintered pads. They may be squeaky for the first couple hundred miles. Here is my video on this:
Thanks, sounds like a good plan. I'll contact them and see if there is any extra measures I can take to clean the rotors up. The squeaking is hysterical, sounds so strange! That almost sounds like squeaking not generated from the friction surfaces but from the piston/pad interface. Interesting, I won't worry too much if its a little squeaky when I put them in.

Also, it is my understanding that on cars when you do a brake job, you are supposed to grease the back of the pad and the caliper pistons. The service manual for the 6R at least does not say anything of that type when changing pads. Why wouldn't you do the same?

-Mike

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Don't use sand paper on your brake pads or rotors! It can cause other issues:

"Do not use regular sand paper or emery cloth as the aluminum oxide abrasive material will permeate the cast iron surface and make the condition worse. Do not bead blast or sand blast the discs for the same reason."

Basically, it can cause your rotors to rust.
cept your oem rotors are not cast iron like some aftermarket, they are a blend and you can sand them all you want..... 600 grit you will be there all day

When I am talking about sanding them, I am really talking scuffing them and removing the superficial deposits from the pads........ And I always have decided on the grit based on the rotor, but 220- 400 has generally been good for the couple strokes with the sanding block
looking at the pic the OP displayed, 400 grit would be fine.

I do them wet after all the clenaing inside and outside while still mounted to the wheel generally (more difficult to do- but much faster when doing it for customers) then I wash the rotors a final time with hot soapy water

and absolutely clean out the holes and around all the buttons!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting. Does the type of sand paper matter? and just wetsand with water? Honestly I might do a pretty high grit if I do sandpaper, the surface is really in great shape, doesn't need a lot of work.

Emailed EBC as well to see what they say. This is another one of those things where people have completely opposite opinions on the same matter....

-Mike

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
cept your oem rotors are not cast iron like some aftermarket, they are a blend and you can sand them all you want.....
Ah, good to know. Thanks for the clarification! I thought that the aluminum oxide abrasive material would oxidize and rust or pit these OEM rotors as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally use Brembo pads.

SC compound on the front, brilliant pad. Feel it needed a little bit of heat to get the best result, but worked great from cold. They feel like a Track day and road suitable pad.

I use the SP compound on the rear. It suitable. does the job it does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts