Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had very bad luck with my local shops so I don’t trust them to really dig into my baby. I’m willing to drive the 2 hours into the DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) area for my scheduled 15k mile valve adjustment. I have 12,500 on the bike right now. It’s an ‘05 636 if that matters.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Check out Crazy Jacks in Royse City... he attends alot of the local DFW area track day stuff as a trackside vendor and i hear alot of good things about his shop work. Hope it helps!

address:
Crazy Jack's Powersports
278 Mark Ln, Royse City, TX 75189
(972) 854-2354

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out Crazy Jacks in Royse City... he attends alot of the local DFW area track day stuff as a trackside vendor and i hear alot of good things about his shop work. Hope it helps!

address:
Crazy Jack's Powersports
278 Mark Ln, Royse City, TX 75189
(972) 854-2354
Awesome I’ll check it out when she hits 15k. I know I still have about 3k left to go but with how much I ride I’ll be there in about a month and a half. Btw, how can I get started with those track days? I’ve never been to a track but want to

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Sorry for the book, but since you asked...

Easy, just sign up! It's really that simple, sign up and show up, but of course theres a bit of pre-prep to do. MUST-DOs are in bold. I would suggest going with RideSmart <<<---LINK. Ridesmart goes to Eagles Canyon Raceway (northwest of Denton), Motorsport Ranch-Houston, Motorsport Ranch-Cresson (southwest of Ft Worth), and Circuit of the Americas (Austin). Registration for each is about $170/day except for CotA, which is like $550 but worth it. If you really get into it, they'll even let you work as a corner worker for a day in exchange for a track day credit (corner work sat, ride free sun).

Another track day org is 3:16 Trackdays . I dont know much about how their daily schedule is ran, but i know and trust one of the owners/operators and he was a really good mentor (when he was with RideSmart).

Click on the calendar and pick a day that works for you, and register for Level 1 of that day. Alot of the tracks allow overnight camping, so friends and i would trailer our bikes there the day prior (arriving BEFORE the track closes their main gate), find a place to park, offload the bikes, pop up the E-Z-UP and throw down some sleeping bags and relax for the night. Serious guys bring covered trailers and RVs and have power hookups. I dont suggest drinking tho, as registration and the first safety brief (aka riders meeting) are early... like 0600 or 0700 early.

Gear Requirements: your bike AND key, suit, boots, and gloves. Thats it! For first timers, they'll rent out track suits and boots for free. You'll need to bring your own full-face (non-crashed) helmet and "gauntlet gloves" aka race gloves. DO NOT buy gas from the track as it will be stupid expensive. DO fill up at a gas station prior. Gear requirements as stated on site

Bike prep: make sure your oil filter's not about to fall off, but no safety wiring is mandatory, and cover all lenses (with tape). Thats basically it, your bike should be "race ready" stock, plus the tape. SUGGESTION: remove mirrors and use blue painters tape for covering of turn signals and front/rear lights. PRO-TIP: pull fuses to the lights if you can so the lights wont heat up the adhesive of the tape... makes it easy to pull off at the end of the day. See my profile pic for reference. You'll have a MUCH more enjoyable time if you get new tires (like a set of Q3s or Q4s), and theres usually a trackside suspension dude that'll tune your suspension to your height/weight for about $20.

Other suggestions to bring: an extra can of gas (5gal), a small cooler with gatorades and an after lunch red bull, the EZ up. gym shorts (to wear around when youre out of youre suit, if youre not already wearing hot-weather base layer pants)
Pics: you can run go-pros on your bike but for pics, there'll be a guy on an ATV that drives around and take super high-def pics of everyone throughout the day hittin corners... you can then buy them off his website for pretty cheap, like $20 for all of them or something like that, but dont quote me on that.

The day consists of mostly every hour broken into 3 segments: level 1, level2, level 3. each levels gets 20 mins on track to ride around, then spend the next 40 mins reviewing vids the instructors took in a classroom-like setting. they break for an hour for lunch (hot dogs/burgers - they supply), then i suggest drinking an energy drink so you dont get sluggish, then get back out there.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the book, but since you asked...

Easy, just sign up! It's really that simple, sign up and show up, but of course theres a bit of pre-prep to do. MUST-DOs are in bold. I would suggest going with RideSmart <<<---LINK. Ridesmart goes to Eagles Canyon Raceway (northwest of Denton), Motorsport Ranch-Houston, Motorsport Ranch-Cresson (southwest of Ft Worth), and Circuit of the Americas (Austin). Registration for each is about $170/day except for CotA, which is like $550 but worth it. If you really get into it, they'll even let you work as a corner worker for a day in exchange for a track day credit (corner work sat, ride free sun).

Another track day org is 3:16 Trackdays . I dont know much about how their daily schedule is ran, but i know and trust one of the owners/operators and he was a really good mentor (when he was with RideSmart).

Click on the calendar and pick a day that works for you, and register for Level 1 of that day. Alot of the tracks allow overnight camping, so friends and i would trailer our bikes there the day prior (arriving BEFORE the track closes their main gate), find a place to park, offload the bikes, pop up the E-Z-UP and throw down some sleeping bags and relax for the night. Serious guys bring covered trailers and RVs and have power hookups. I dont suggest drinking tho, as registration and the first safety brief (aka riders meeting) are early... like 0600 or 0700 early.

Gear Requirements: your bike AND key, suit, boots, and gloves. Thats it! For first timers, they'll rent out track suits and boots for free. You'll need to bring your own full-face (non-crashed) helmet and "gauntlet gloves" aka race gloves. DO NOT buy gas from the track as it will be stupid expensive. DO fill up at a gas station prior. Gear requirements as stated on site

Bike prep: make sure your oil filter's not about to fall off, but no safety wiring is mandatory, and cover all lenses (with tape). Thats basically it, your bike should be "race ready" stock, plus the tape. SUGGESTION: remove mirrors and use blue painters tape for covering of turn signals and front/rear lights. PRO-TIP: pull fuses to the lights if you can so the lights wont heat up the adhesive of the tape... makes it easy to pull off at the end of the day. See my profile pic for reference. You'll have a MUCH more enjoyable time if you get new tires (like a set of Q3s or Q4s), and theres usually a trackside suspension dude that'll tune your suspension to your height/weight for about $20.

Other suggestions to bring: an extra can of gas (5gal), a small cooler with gatorades and an after lunch red bull, the EZ up. gym shorts (to wear around when youre out of youre suit, if youre not already wearing hot-weather base layer pants)
Pics: you can run go-pros on your bike but for pics, there'll be a guy on an ATV that drives around and take super high-def pics of everyone throughout the day hittin corners... you can then buy them off his website for pretty cheap, like $20 for all of them or something like that, but dont quote me on that.

The day consists of mostly every hour broken into 3 segments: level 1, level2, level 3. each levels gets 20 mins on track to ride around, then spend the next 40 mins reviewing vids the instructors took in a classroom-like setting. they break for an hour for lunch (hot dogs/burgers - they supply), then i suggest drinking an energy drink so you dont get sluggish, then get back out there.
That was all very helpful, thanks so much! I’m most certainly going to plan a track day now

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Ridesmart goes to Eagles Canyon Raceway (northwest of Denton), Motorsport Ranch-Houston, Motorsport Ranch-Cresson (southwest of Ft Worth), and Circuit of the Americas (Austin). Registration for each is about $170/day except for CotA, which is like $550 but worth it.
CotA is actually only $399.00 now!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Your Garage is a great place too! (And yes, capitalizing Garage is necessary and proper)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your Garage is a great place too! (And yes, capitalizing Garage is necessary and proper)
I know but I’m too intimidated by it. I’m sure I could if I really dedicated myself to it but I’d rather pay someone more experienced than myself to do it.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
I know but I’m too intimidated by it. I’m sure I could if I really dedicated myself to it but I’d rather pay someone more experienced than myself to do it.
It's only ugly, the first couple of times..... once you have all the tools and know all the dance steps, it's just time consuming.

I can now remove all the plastics off my bike in about 20 minutes, if I am going slow and being careful. Used to take me longer than that, just to get under the gas tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's only ugly, the first couple of times..... once you have all the tools and know all the dance steps, it's just time consuming.

I can now remove all the plastics off my bike in about 20 minutes, if I am going slow and being careful. Used to take me longer than that, just to get under the gas tank.
I’ll contemplate trying it myself while the miles are racking up. Depending on how difficult it looks on YouTube I’ll try it. I’ve never been that far inside an engine before.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I’ll contemplate trying it myself while the miles are racking up. Depending on how difficult it looks on YouTube I’ll try it. I’ve never been that far inside an engine before.
Youtube is good for the general idea/mechanics behind most vehicle work, but your operators manual will be your bible.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
I worked into in in stages as well, with prior experience on other motorcycles. Just like almost anything else it’s a lot better with practice.

the cost of not doing the job yourself is fairly substantial. You’re paying someone for their knowledge, their tools, and their time.

shop rates have to pay all the bills. Over &100/hr is normal, and the job takes a number of hours.

the tools and materials you’ll need to do it yourself will cost less than paying someone else, and the time after that will be nearly free. No matter what bike you may decide to do after that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts