Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to pick up a set of tires brand new for $175 from a local guy selling off his bike stuff. Only issues are that they are not matched, front is a pilot power 120/70, rear is a 180/55 Qualifier. My hesitations are running unmatched tires and moving from a 120/65 to a 120/70 tires. I am running PP's front and back now.

Any ill effects to running a PP front and a Qualifier rear? I never had much luck the the 208s so I am also hesitant on using dunlops again...

Thoughts? Good deal? Should I? Shouldnt I?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Manufacturers NEVER recommend running mismatched tyres of their OWN brand let alone switching between other makes.
I personally NEVER mix brands but have mixed between different pirelli's front and rear.
Having said that, i have quite a few mates that have no hesitation at all at running exactly what you are planning to do. They all seem pretty happy with them.
Tyres are very much a personal thing and change from brand to brand, bike to bike and rider to rider. BUT THEY ARE YOUR ONLY CONTACT WITH THE GROUND....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've run mis-matched tires on my TL, felt weird, won't do it again. BTW that was same brand different model even - bt012 front bt020 rear. If you really can't pass up the deal, buy them, then buy matching tires for both and you'll have to great sets of rubber:) given that they will probably last 3-6k miles if you do much riding at all you'll wear them both out in a few months.

BTW I think you'll see a positive improvement going to a 70 series front tire provided you adjust the ride height to compensate (slide the forks up the clamps 5mm for starters). A 70 series tire will typically have a slightly more pointy profile which should provide a bit better turn in and more contact area at major lean angles. Plus as a matter of practicality, there are many more tire options in 70 series than 65:)

have fun

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive done it a few years ago when i was broke . I always run Pilot powers , and when i had my R1 i got a nail in my rear , well i had just bought new tires not so long ago and my front was good , anyway my friend had good metzler M1 he sold me for 20 bucks. I rode like with a PP front and M1 back for 5k miles i didnt like it at all , right when i got the money i got a set of PP"s again

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
you can get away with it if the tires are the same compound, but different brands...:no

doesn't mean you shouldn't pick the tires up...just pick up a matching tire as well.

http://www.swmototires.com/ is a great place :thumbup

-:banana

·
Registered
28 Posts
175$ isnt that great of a price anyway. Just get some Pilot Powers , for the price you cant really beat em , at my work i get them at cost , so i only pay 195 for front and back and mount them myself. before i paid about 235 for them with mount and balance included.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts