Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi peoples,

I was going to save the hassle of installing the notoriously difficult slip-on install M4 GP shorty but just giving it to the kawi dealer for a muffler swap.

But doing so removes the cat, servo/butterfly valves, would they do it? I'm too embarressed to ask in the shop, and what would they think of it when I come back for 1st service...or any services for that matter. Its not going to pass EPA inspection.

Feels awkward, has anyone done this? Also btw, the M4 GP may or may not need to take off rear wheel, and with the tools I've got, definately not ready for that...

Thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dude,

The cat is physically inside the exhaust pipe after the pipes converge but before the pre-chamber (it has a honeycomb design). The only way to get rid of it is to punch it out with a screwdriver or equivalent. I don't think any dealer in the world will do that.

You're talking about the pre-chamber. The gigantic steel box that sits near the rear wheel. It's just there for noise emissions and "weight centralisation".

Removing the pre-chamber is a pain because of its proximity to the rear wheel. When you undo the clamp and twist it out, you'll hit the rear wheel. Easiest way to remove the pre-chamber is to have someone push down on the seat of the bike while you're trying to pull it out, because the extra weight puts pressure on your suspension causing the rear wheel to extend back giving you enough clearance to remove the pre-chamber. Or have them sit on the seat, with the bike up-right (just make sure they don't drop it). Don't remove your rear wheel... seriously.

The dealer will install your M4 exhaust. Just get a quote and ETA. If it takes longer than an hour, they are ripping you off. It seriously doesn't take that long.

One additional thing, invest in a servo-buddy. It essentially tricks the ECU on the bike into thinking the servo motor is doing it's job. Without it, you'll have to keep the servo motor under the seat, and remove the cables from it (pure weight savings).

·
Registered
258 Posts
I thought it was illegal to change any exhaust component these days.

I'm pretty sure no dealer is going to remove any cat what so ever, they would probably get shut down by the Government for it..

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I thought it was illegal to change any exhaust component these days.

I'm pretty sure no dealer is going to remove any cat what so ever, they would probably get shut down by the Government for it..
Most dealers won't sell exhaust systems anymore :/
Maybe in California but this guy is in Canada...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts