Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm buying a bunch of sportbike books and wondering if I should get the 1st Twist of the Wrist or if I should jump to Twist of the Wrist II.

Here is what I'm getting.

How to Tune and Modify Motorcycle Engine Management Systems

Sportbike Performance Handbook

Twist of the Wrist: The Basics of High-Performance Rider Improvement

Twist of the Wrist II DVD: Precision Cornering Techniques for Today's High Performance Rider

Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible

Total Control

Am I missing anything? I'm hoping it has the actual Twist of the Wrist II book in the DVD for me to read.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have heard Twist of the Wrist Two is better myself. Good read. The video is on Youtube for free too.

I also have Total Control by Lee Parks and Sportbike Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. SRT is the better of the two imo.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
TOTW 2 is newer than TOTW 1, and a little more pertinent info, though I read both.

Total Control and Sport Riding Techniques has some good info as well.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, forgot to add that to the list.

Added both books to the list

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Totw1 is more of a racers handbook, not that the knowledge isn't equally as valuable, you just have to transfer his race info into street riding conditions if that's what your looking for. Totw2 is more of a street/beginners book.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Totw1 is more of a racers handbook, not that the knowledge isn't equally as valuable, you just have to transfer his race info into street riding conditions if that's what your looking for. Totw2 is more of a street/beginners book.
I was not aware of that, maybe I'll have to check out TOTW1, I always assumed it was more basic than TOTW2, not more advanced.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I won't exactly say that totw1 is more advanced, but its definitely dry, full of race lines and terminology, and a lot harder for a beginning rider to get into. Took me like 3 years to read it and that was after totw2 :laugh

·
Registered
865 Posts
This is a review I gave on another forum for the 4 books I read. I think a lot of it comes down to how you think, what you have done and what you are looking to accomplish reading them. Since I was mainly doing it for the track, TOTW1 seemed to appeal to me the most.

I just finished TOTW2, TOTW1, Soft Science TOTW and Sport Riding Techniques in that order. If I were to do it again, I would start with Sport Riding Techniques and finish with TOTW1. TOTW2 and Soft Science TOTW aren't bad books, TOTW1 pretty much covers for both of those. Sport Riding Techniques is an easy read and TOTW can be a bit more difficult with TOTW2 being the most difficult. Soft Science TOTW reads similar to TOTW1 but may just be too in depth for most riders.

If you haven't been to the track, the TOTW series seems a bit in depth. I wouldn't say it will not help but it makes you question a lot of situations that seem track related to me. It actually makes you question a lot of things and really think about what you are doing and what the bike is doing. Sport Riding Techniques is more just telling you about techniques and providing examples.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that if I just had one to read, it would be TOTW1. While it is initially more difficult than Sport Riding Techniques, I think it has more to offer overall.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've read twist of the wrist 1 and it's a good read, but I've been advised that 2 is even better by a track day instructor.

Reactions: Texas636

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another street read is "The Pace". Its a quick 7 or 8 pages but is a good read to start the season and to hand to those less experienced. Most people are to lazy to read a book (good for you by the way), but most people can manage a handful of pages.

http://www.rit.edu/sg/motorbikeclub/docs/The_pace.doc

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Don't forget our ZX6R racing section stickies, full of good info.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a review I gave on another forum for the 4 books I read. I think a lot of it comes down to how you think, what you have done and what you are looking to accomplish reading them. Since I was mainly doing it for the track, TOTW1 seemed to appeal to me the most.

I just finished TOTW2, TOTW1, Soft Science TOTW and Sport Riding Techniques in that order. If I were to do it again, I would start with Sport Riding Techniques and finish with TOTW1. TOTW2 and Soft Science TOTW aren't bad books, TOTW1 pretty much covers for both of those. Sport Riding Techniques is an easy read and TOTW can be a bit more difficult with TOTW2 being the most difficult. Soft Science TOTW reads similar to TOTW1 but may just be too in depth for most riders.

If you haven't been to the track, the TOTW series seems a bit in depth. I wouldn't say it will not help but it makes you question a lot of situations that seem track related to me. It actually makes you question a lot of things and really think about what you are doing and what the bike is doing. Sport Riding Techniques is more just telling you about techniques and providing examples.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that if I just had one to read, it would be TOTW1. While it is initially more difficult than Sport Riding Techniques, I think it has more to offer overall.
Thanks for the review. That helps out alot. I'll make sure to check those hooks out. I have 2 books on the way. One of them can be downloaded, so I am thinking of getting a tablet to read them, but I kinda also want to have a hard copy too. It would be smarter money wise to get the ebooks though.

I've read twist of the wrist 1 and it's a good read, but I've been advised that 2 is even better by a track day instructor.
Thanks!

Another street read is "The Pace". Its a quick 7 or 8 pages but is a good read to start the season and to hand to those less experienced. Most people are to lazy to read a book (good for you by the way), but most people can manage a handful of pages.

http://www.rit.edu/sg/motorbikeclub/docs/The_pace.doc
Thanks. I'll check that one out too.

Don't forget our ZX6R racing section stickies, full of good info.:bigthumb:
Already been checking them out. I will continue to do so. Thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I should make another thread ir keep this going so it can be stickied.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts