Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday me, my brother and a few of his super squid friends took a trip up the crest, after a few miles me and my bro were hauling ass and i noticed when i was coming out of some turns i was getting some good head shake when i really hammered on it right out of the turns, my question is im i getting the shake from something im doing ( or not doing) or is it a mechanical issue ( i cant seem to find anything personally like loose head bearing and this was mostly on up hill turns since i had i pretty bad front tire slide and took it easy on the way back down)

·
Registered
888 Posts
So yesterday me, my brother and a few of his super squid friends took a trip up the crest, after a few miles me and my bro were hauling ass and i noticed when i was coming out of some turns i was getting some good head shake when i really hammered on it right out of the turns, my question is im i getting the shake from something im doing ( or not doing) or is it a mechanical issue ( i cant seem to find anything personally like loose head bearing and this was mostly on up hill turns since i had i pretty bad front tire slide and took it easy on the way back down)
I feel your pain. lol.

I'm feeling head shake or some kind of squirrliness during high speed corners. If you figure it out lemme know, because I'm gonna be tinkering with my suspension this weekend.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i feel your pain. Lol.

I'm feeling head shake or some kind of squirrliness during high speed corners. If you figure it out lemme know, because i'm gonna be tinkering with my suspension this weekend.
yeah next month im having new racetech springs put in my forks and putting an 09 rear shock with a ractech spring for my weight, i feel like since i such a big dude im at the end of my suspension capabilitys

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would suggest checking your suspension settings. Sounds like your rear is squatting too much while hard acceleration out of the corner. This can cause the front end to get too light. Also, as suggested by Badgerninja could be too much input on the bars. Tire pressure could be a factor as well.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
If it's under throttle then you're being to herky jerky with it. Smooth roll on and don't man handle the bars.

There's a balance between controlling the bike and letting it do what it wants. If you try to over control it bad things happen like head shake.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
You said you feel it a lot when you're coming out of corners. How is your body position? I'm no expert, but I had similar problems that were more or less ironed out at the track (and working on them now).

If you're hanging off and coming back onto the bike at the same time you're getting on the throttle (and the bike may still be in lean), you're providing too much input. That upsets the chassis and could cause headshake. A tip would be to nearly straighten the bike and then get back to being upright. In addition to this, I had a crap body position and would try to clamber back onto the seat after hang-off by pulling myself over the bars... massive headshake.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
You said you feel it a lot when you're coming out of corners. How is your body position? I'm no expert, but I had similar problems that were more or less ironed out at the track (and working on them now).

If you're hanging off and coming back onto the bike at the same time you're getting on the throttle (and the bike may still be in lean), you're providing too much input. That upsets the chassis and could cause headshake. A tip would be to nearly straighten the bike and then get back to being upright. In addition to this, I had a crap body position and would try to clamber back onto the seat after hang-off by pulling myself over the bars... massive headshake.
Yep, there are times where I will stay hanging off until completely upright.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I would suggest checking your suspension settings. Sounds like your rear is squatting too much while hard acceleration out of the corner. This can cause the front end to get too light. Also, as suggested by Badgerninja could be too much input on the bars. Tire pressure could be a factor as well.
I think this is spot on. You are getting faster so your rear squats more causing the front to get light when on the throttle. I know your a bigger guy so you are heading in the right direction by changing out that spring.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks, all great advice, im thinking a i need to work on my body position , and i will be getting my suspension set up to help everything out and i definitely need tank grips for those down hill turns, my pressure was good i set at 34 cold, it was a cool day and my tires were not getting hot enough which is why i almost lost front end , but thats a seperate issue

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wanted to ask this exact question. I get it coming out high speed corners as well and I've definitely picked up my pace. But my input nearly cost me at Jennings a few weeks ago coming out of t14 onto the straight, I shifted to hard (3-4th) trying to beat the guy to the finish line.

You can fast forward to 11min mark. The shake snaps the gopro mount loose.

Jennings GP Mock Race Inter. 4-13-2014 - YouTube

1 - 17 of 17 Posts