Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

GERMAN Girl fearing NiGhTmAreS!!!

7K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  skeeweezer 
#1 ·
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I need your moral support on a (for me) major decision!

Sell or keep the Bumblebee Forever (or at least 5-10yrs)!?

About a month ago I imported my future ride into Canada, the 06 Zx6R.

That leaves me with another bike that won't be used anymore, a bashed up yellow '01 J model.

I'm paranoid that I will be haunted by nightmares from the yellow 600 because I sold it even though i told myself I would never let go of it!

I lost a tear when seeing the white CBR125 go off with its new owner. I'd cry my eyes out if seeing this one leave me.

My plans for it were to store it, let it sit and 5yrs down the road to make it all pretty again, drop a lesser used engine in and either stunt it or just retain the bodywork and have it look pretty in the garage until exhibited in a future "iLean Cave".

This bike took me anywhere I wanted. No matter if 23F or 110F. Never broke down other than out of fuel.
It helped me through my new start in Life when I decided to leave Germany behind when I was 21, rode it 12k miles each year until i got my 1st car a year ago.
Crashed it 3x, did my 1st full blown paintjob on it which lasted only 2wks before my big smash (just plastics), took it on my 1st trackday and down to the Dragon.

So many memories!
But i don't wanna keep looking back, down memory lane. I tend to go forward, recap what happened, learn from it and move on.

The way it is right now I could get an easy 2000 out of it as OEM looking models sell for up to 3000.
I have a riding buddy in mind to sell it to who is stuck with his 99 R6 that had 6 owners by now, 3 of them amateur racers and the carbs and electronics are messed up, just one unreliable machine.

I just feel like I'm about to break up/cut contacts to a very good friend.

Also hate to admit my fiancee was right by saying that as soon as the new one is in town i won't look at my old J zx6r anymore.

Interested in your guys' and girls' thoughts!

See less See more
#2 ·
There are times when I miss the hell out of my old 250. She was a little tank and totally reliable. I would love to have that thing back in my garage just to thrash around on and teach other people how to ride on, but it really just depends on you. If you're the type to move on then sell it. But if the bike has that much meaning to you then why not keep it? An extra bike on hand never hurts. :)

#3 ·
you can not, I repeat YOU CAN NOT SELL THE J

#4 ·
I still wish I had kept my first bike! An RGV250. I also with I had kept my second bike the RS250. If you have something you love that much and can afford to keep it then you should! I know it's just a piece of machinery but you do form a bond with the first bike! Kind of like your first love! It always feels special even after you find out its been cheating on you several times! Hmm hmm keep the bike, you know what I mean.

#5 ·
If they were two bikes with different displacements (ok, more that 36cc difference) or different style bikes (like one is a touring and the other a supersport) then I'd say keep them both for the variety. But they are essentially the same, except the J has carbs and an ugly swingarm. :laugh If it were me I'd say Auf Wiedersehen to the J and maybe use the money to buy some go-fast bits for the newer bike, or maybe sell them both and get an even newer bike. :devious

#7 ·
You're a Carb and ugly an swingarm :2fingerlol:

#6 ·
I would keep it, but knowing that it could mean the world to a riding buddy, I could let him/her take care of it.

Sometimes, it is more satisfying to know that someone you know and trust is taking care of your machine rather than it sitting in your garage. If you have plans for it, keep it. No question about selling it, then.

#8 · (Edited)
Instead of letting it sit for years, which in turn will probably cause problems in the long run. Why not sell it to your friend with the provision that if he/she ever comes to sell it, they give you first refusal to buy it back.

That way you can enjoy the new bike and know that years down the line if you do miss the J that much, you still have that option and know where it is rather than having to hunt it down.

#9 ·
Good morning everyone (4:30am)

Thanks for the responses I got so far!!!

See how torn in between some of you even are?

I sent my buddy a text but he had nightshift... no idea when he got off work.

If I'd put it on the classifieds, I'd get very picky about the buyer. If the guy is very interested but I don't like his attitude, i can still tell him ALL the bad things this bike might have or stuff it needs done again soon :2fingerlol:

#12 ·
For another perspective..... I would not sell a bike I have strong emotional attachment to, to a friend. I have done this, and sold it for a song so that the other person could have the same sort of enjoyment I did......

The problem with doing this is that the other person does not have the same connection (to the bike) as you do. They will not perceive it the same, or place the same value on the bike as you. No matter what you think they MAY do, something else will happen.

Better to sell it to a complete stranger, and have the bike leave your perception as completely as possible. Keep the memories, not the thing. It was just the vessle that carried your dream, not the dream itself.

If your friend were to wad up the bike, you'd be mad at them for doing so, even though you sold it. Better not to know who does the nasty with your old friend. :)

#13 ·
Cant believe nobody has said TRACK BIKE yet.....

#14 ·
My buddy saved his old cb750 from when he was a kid. He's had it forever. Got his new bike years ago and the only time the 750 gets touched is when he pushes it to a different corner of the garage.
Bikes should be ridden...send her to a new home and love your new bike

#15 ·
KEEP

Reactions: intercom
#16 ·
Sell, it is just a motorcycle.

I have had atleast 50 of them and all they are is a machine for me to enjoy, then I replace it with another.

I mean if you don't care about the money you lose by having it sit around and the maintenance needs it will require to bring it back out in 5 years or whenever and you have tons of room for it to just sit around where you will or won't see it regularly, then by all means let it sit and you can ponder the choice you make by keeping it and not using it.

#17 ·
some very different opinions.

exactly what i needed to hear since my rational brain and my weeping heart reason just so divided as you guys.

i don't wanna track this one. i'd wanna track/street ride the new one since i WANTED the shorter (handlebar-seat), USD forks and radial mount calipers and FI for quick access tuning.

Buddy isn't interested as he's also looking for something fuel injected.

I too thought, if i was to sell it i would wanna have it out of my sight. So i won't cry when seeing it go by.

#19 ·
I'd keep it to keep miles off the other bike and then they'll both last longer together. Convert if for track use and save the other one strictly for the street. I had 2 bikes, especially if one is down for repairs, you're not rushed to get it done because you have a back up.

#20 ·
#24 ·
I got someone driving 5hrs one way to buy my bike.

He's seen all the dents and rashes, added him to my fb account so he can see the bike's history and see the damage it had right after each lowside.

He had 2 other bikes before maxim 650 and 550... just wants something sportier. For me the perfect buyer who will appreciate it and make it look all pretty again (he works in a car body shop) and lives far away so I won't hate the rider on it should i ever see this bike in yellow on our streets.

It will have a loving new home LOL

Actually I get to store it for him in our garage until the weather is decent enough for him to pick it up to ride it home.

#25 ·
I'm married to a German, so I speak with authority on this subject.

Look, bikes are the ultimate lovers, and mistresses (or whatever the male version of that is... Boy toy ?). Never in any relationship will you wrap your legs around something and derive so much guilt-less pleasure without even raising an eyebrow of your husband,wife, girl or boy friend. (I am enjoying the visualization of a sexy German biker girl, so forgive me!:O)

Little do they know how much these bikes feed our souls. Often bikes hold such dear memories for us, and when we are forced to let them go it tears a part of us away. I think it sad to say I have more memories of my first bike than of all my girl friends during that time. That may be because of a bikes ability to trip endorphins and adrenaline is better (and longer) than any sex kitten or puppy boy could. (I'm trying here to equate things for you incase your not also into sex kittens)

I have never sold a bike that i enjoyed and weeks or years later agreed I did the correct thing.

So here are some things to consider.......

If you can at all keep this bike do it!

If you can make the room to store it, do it!

If you sell it, write in the contract you will have first right of refusal on any resale of the bike. I am still tracking three of my last bikes I sold, calling every year or so, waiting for the current owner to get tired of my old 94 carbie monster.....:rant

You never realize how much you miss something until it is gone.

With what I read, you will regret not disassembling, cleaning, injecting oil into the tank and engine and sealing it up for storage until you decide to sell or restore it.

But... In the end, it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.....BUT I prefer to love-em as long as I can.

#26 ·
u can't say that to me 5hrs before closing the deal!

but thanks, very much appreciate your vivid statement!

I have no leverage anymore as to why i'd wanna keep a 2nd bike around since now my fiancee is on a shopping rampage for his next 2011-13 zx10r. In order to not totally go into debt about a 11g purchase he HAS to sell both his street and track 05gixxer 1000s as soon as possible which won't happen for another month or so but meanwhile we're gonna get his zx10 to get a good price before spring.

I see if i can keep in touch with the buyer, he'll probably notice how much i will miss it the minute it's sold to him.

#27 · (Edited)
Haha.... Just bat your eyes and say " how much is my happiness worth to you".

A powerless woman is just not thinking hard enough!!!!

In about 4 hours one of my old babies is coming back to get new fork seals. You can't keep them all, but if you offer free repairs they come back to see you every once in a while.

#28 ·
my problem is i got too much on my plate for This Year to not take the 2600 cash plus selling my OEM paint,MINT tank for $400ish on ebay later on in spring...

need to book germany flights, book rental car, book hotel room...
get refurbished turbo for my audi and then put in...
buy full out new gear except for helmet and gloves...
get the new bike ready for the season with new chain,sprockets,rearsets,steering damper...

#30 ·
I think the person coming over to buy your bike will take good care of it. Sounds like someone who knows what he is doing and the bike might have a great life ahead. Good luck on the deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.