Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum here. Let me preface this by saying i understand that what i am about to ask is COMPLETELY subjective and in reality the only answer that should matter is the one i come up with. That being said i'm going to ask more of an opinion question relating to people's taste in riding gear, specifically boots. in recent years i started wearing boots while riding, but literally just any boot that covered my ankle so as to at least have SOMETHING on other than sneakers. This season i find myself wanting to get some actual riding boots. I find myself gravitating toward the look of the mid to full length race type boots. While i will admit that like, 30% of it stems from liking the aesthetics. 70% me sees a dual purpose here as i intend to track the bike as well at some point this coming season.

Now for the question that is purely subjective and has no real right answer lmao..... Are race style boots too OD, visually, for street riding? i really like things and looks that aren't too conventional, but as much as i like the look of something, i REALLY don't want to be "that guy" who looks like a complete and utter tool out on the road(cue the it shouldn't matter what others think.. i know, but we all know most of us don't practice that lol). So let me know what you guys think. How much boot is too much?.. what are you all rocking?..any suggestion or input is helpful. Thanks all!:BigGrin

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Shifting with a race boot takes a little getting used to. So for me it was a good idea to practice riding with the race boots before I started tracking the bike. I even rode around with my full leather race suit once, just so I knew how it felt before doing my 1st track day lol!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shifting with a race boot takes a little getting used to. So for me it was a good idea to practice riding with the race boots before I started tracking the bike. I even rode around with my full leather race suit once, just so I knew how it felt before doing my 1st track day lol!

I appreciate the input. you also bring up a good point, i didn't really account for things like how it'd impact shifting, or breaking them in before actually getting on the track. both solid things to keep in mind.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I usually walk around in a new pair of boots at the supermarket or whatever just to break them in. Nobody seems to notice since I wear a pair of blue jeans over them. Also makes me taller as well. So that’s a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
My choice in boots is to wear padded over the ankle steel toed work boots.... In my specific case I wear side zipper SWAT style boots. I've been wearing flight deck boots since I was first issued a pair around 1980.... When I bought a street bike in '85, they worked. Still do. At least the design does, I've replaced the actual boots multiple times. Since work buys me the boot of my choice for any ship's visit I may need to make, something I can walk all day in while in an industrial environment that is comfortable rates pretty high for me.

As far as what people think about what gear I wear..... You guessed it.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I want the most protective boots I can get for riding, street or track, so I wear Sidi ST Air's or Sidi Mag 1's all the time. Same goes for gloves (full gauntlets)... Held Titan or Held Titan Evo's all the time.

The only comments I have ever gotten about the way the boots look have been positive.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
I always wear a race boot, hell I always wear full leathers whenever I ride..........

The only problem I have ever found on any of the dozens of pairs of boots I have owned and used............ The more protection they offer, the harder they are to walk in for any length of time and the more they squeek, drawing attention to them......

I don't give a shit though, I want the protection and couldn't give any shitz about the attention- regardless if it is good or bad..........

A* SMX pro's are about 4 years old now and still working great, and yep- still squeek like a mofo
Sidi ?Vertigos? are about 10 years old and still work great and also still squeek like a mofo- but they are long past due for new soles, so haven't been worn much in the past several years
A* Supertech's are about that same 10ish years old, these I find the most uncomfortable and almost exclusively wear them on track, but I occassionally wear them on my all day rides without any real issue, just don't try walking several hundred yards at a time in them as they do chaffe my ankles

I have never found shifting any more or less difficult in any actual motorcycle boot, but that could be becasue I only ride in motorcycle boots, for 40+ years........

your results can and may well vary...........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want the most protective boots I can get for riding, street or track, so I wear Sidi ST Air's or Sidi Mag 1's all the time. Same goes for gloves (full gauntlets)... Held Titan or Held Titan Evo's all the time.

The only comments I have ever gotten about the way the boots look have been positive.
Im a little late on this but thank you for the input. i'm going to check those out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always wear a race boot, hell I always wear full leathers whenever I ride..........

The only problem I have ever found on any of the dozens of pairs of boots I have owned and used............ The more protection they offer, the harder they are to walk in for any length of time and the more they squeek, drawing attention to them......

I don't give a shit though, I want the protection and couldn't give any shitz about the attention- regardless if it is good or bad..........

A* SMX pro's are about 4 years old now and still working great, and yep- still squeek like a mofo
Sidi ?Vertigos? are about 10 years old and still work great and also still squeek like a mofo- but they are long past due for new soles, so haven't been worn much in the past several years
A* Supertech's are about that same 10ish years old, these I find the most uncomfortable and almost exclusively wear them on track, but I occassionally wear them on my all day rides without any real issue, just don't try walking several hundred yards at a time in them as they do chaffe my ankles

I have never found shifting any more or less difficult in any actual motorcycle boot, but that could be becasue I only ride in motorcycle boots, for 40+ years........

your results can and may well vary...........

Thank you as well for your input. i'll be sure to look into these as well. thank you everyone for your help! :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ride everyday with Augi Ar3's, would not ride without them, great ventilation, great comfort, easy shifting, genuine leather ?
images (70).jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts