Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, my 636R felt funny on the gear changes. It seemed to take a lot more effort than normal to get it to shift up. Also, the positive feeling that the lever got when it went down into first wasn't there, it was a bit vague.

Then, this morning, I headed out and I could not get it to change into third. My first thought was that the gear lever return spring was knackered, so I just stroked the levr downaward and bit and then kicked into third and it worked.

So, I conintued on to work, but it got a bit worse then because the same thing started happening on down shifts too. It needed a small prod in the opposite direction to get into the next gear, up or down.

Does this sound like the return spring?

It's only just hit 10k miles!

Cheers,
A

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean the rod linking the gear lever to the splined shaft out of the gear box?
There doesn't appear to be any, plus, it would not necessarily explain why it became progressively worse over the last two days.
Any other ideas?

A

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thankfully, this turned out to be a very easy fix. I brought into a local workshop and the guy popped it up on a hoist.

He fiddled with it a bit and removed the footrest hanger. The gear shift linkage runs concentrically on the footrest, supposedly sealed with two O-rings. In this case, a lot of crud and no grease resulted in very limited movement of the gear shift itself, so it was not able to transmit full movement to the splined shaft.

A good clean, some copper grease and a reassemble and it was spot on. The guy said that Gixxer 1000s suffer a similar fate.

So, no expensive fix, he charged me ten yoyo!

Top bloke!

A

·
Registered
55 Posts
tis actually a common problem on all kawasaki's. they are all sensitive to the postion and movement of the gear linkage so if they get dirty they do tend to start playing up, so if you start missing gears always check that first and give it a clean

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
never had that prob and i live on a dirt road.. gotta travel 100m to the main road where its made and sealed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts