Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right now there are Gearpro (NOT GOPRO) Cameras at woot for 40 bucks. They're 720 and not as nice as some of the big players, but I ordered like 3, even though I have a hero 3 black already, because they come with a bunch of mounts already (helmet, suction, blah blah blah) and I want multiple angles.

Seems like a great alt for budget operators and/or multiple angle photography.

GET YOU ONE
EXPIRED

Wooting again (5/2):

http://tech.woot.com/plus/gear-pro-720p-action-camcorders-1?ref=cnt_wp_4

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
ive heard really bad things about battery life? about an hour AT BEST, what is your experience with them? i was just about to pull the trigger on a 70$ sj1000 with no mounts or case...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive heard really bad things about battery life? about an hour AT BEST, what is your experience with them? i was just about to pull the trigger on a 70$ sj1000 with no mounts or case...
No experience. Ill let you know once I have them lol.

I dont expect them to be as good as the gopro, but im hoping for 4 angle shots lol...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought a Gopro Hero 3 Black + this winter (still in the box). I saw this deal and could not walk away. I figured that I could run the Gear Pro 720P as another camera angle on the bike. Shipping was wicked fast! I ordered mine this past Monday and received it in the mail yesterday. I am using a Scandisk Ultra Microsdhc class 10 memory card. Currently I have the Gear Pro set up in my car with the suction cup and car charger. I am running it in the car mode 5 min video loops. Problem I am experiencing is that, when the unit first powers up it says card error. Then it says remove card. Once I remove the card and put it back in it says error. In order for it to work I have to do the following.
1) Power down the unit.
2) Remove the memory card.
3) Turn the unit on.
4) Switch recording mode to either camera or video.
5) Insert micro SD card.
6) Switch recording mode back to car.
I have also have two Lexar 32GB cards for my Gopro that I will try.
Yes, I know that you get what you pay for but, the price was right.
Anyone who has any idea on a solution feel free to chime in. Thank you

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine still aren't in, but I'll add my experience with them once they arrive.

Caveat emptor, of course...

But, FYI, they're on woot at $40 again:

Gear Pro 720p Action Camcorders

Based on the sample vids I've seen, it still seems like a great budget way in or for cheap "other angles".

·
Registered
202 Posts
**Update: 5/2/14
I changed out the memory card to the Lexar 32Gb and all seems to be back on track. The Scandisk that came free with my Gopro is a No go. I will most likely call Scandisk and let them know that their card is not compatible.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was about to buy this until I read the reviews....

Where is the best place to get a Go Pro right now?
Amazon probably!

Minor update. The three gearpros I ordered from the last 40$ sale arrived today and I fired one of them up.

A few initial observations from simple tests:
1. The video quality does not approach GoPro or contour. I expected this, because it's 720p only and cost 1/10th of what they did... lol
2. The battery life so far doesn't seem to be terrible, but I haven't done long tests.
3. The sensor is garbage-ish at night. It's obviously increasing the "film speed" to compensate for low light, and you get a lot of grain.

I'm going to try to create similar videos with all three types of camera for a side-by-side comparison. I might make a new thread for that one.

This camera has a 1 yr warranty. I'm still thinking it might be a good option for someone who wants to get into mounted photography on a budget.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
**Update: 5/2/14
I changed out the memory card to the Lexar 32Gb and all seems to be back on track. The Scandisk that came free with my Gopro is a No go. I will most likely call Scandisk and let them know that their card is not compatible.
Scandisk or sandisk? I have sandisk cards and they seem to be working fine so far.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have no money for a camera. My parents believe me but they doubt me so they don't help me. They are possessed.

I have spent all my money on MXE and LSD to kill myself consciously. If we kill our ego consciously, we become superhuman. That way, you live forever.

I am simply trying to prove to you all for your benefit.

I'm going to crash the economy shortly anyways, so you might as well help play a role in saving the world.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I have no money for a camera. My parents believe me but they doubt me so they don't help me. They are possessed.

I have spent all my money on MXE and LSD to kill myself consciously. If we kill our ego consciously, we become superhuman. That way, you live forever.

I'm going to crash the economy shortly anyways, so you might as well help play a role in saving the world.
WTF???
Dude....you seriously may wanna join the forum guys on FML.com or lifesucksass.net or pleasekillme.com. You might also try checking out miserablefucks.org...seems like you'd fit right in with those guys/gals.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
You should look into the Midland action cams.
You can get them cheap, batt life & build quality are good, and they have models that shoot in true 1080p as well as 720p. I've seen the quality of footage shot thru these. The 1080p is right on par with a go pro, while the 720p is slightly better than a Sony action cam. Sound quality is good also. $120, and you can shoot 1080p vids.

·
Super Moderator
12,495 Posts

Wow... Dude not everyone is going to understand the idea of ego death, or that it is an effect that psychodels have in high doses to the uninitiated you sound crazy.
Maybe talk about motorcycles, and leave the"mind blowing revelations" from your last trip for a more appropriate forum.
Ey3

·
Registered
100 Posts
I received mine on Thursday, and for $40 its what I expected. I bought a class 10 sd card for $8 and started to test it out. During the daylight hours its decent but as soon as you lose light the quality goes down. After reading the reviews I was worried about the battery but it gets me a little over an hour which is better than the 15 minutes some people said. I figured $40 wasn't much to get introduced to videos/editing. Overall you get what you pay for, it comes with some cheap mounts too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts