Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna install covers, leaning towards GB racing for the ease of installation and cost, $230 from Ebay for the set. The company describes this non-metal material as very strong and impact absorbing. Seems like it would provide sufficient protection from going down at the track. The woodcraft is metal and seems built tougher, but may really just provide the same amount of protection for a higher price and for more work to install.

Whose got experience with GB's or Woodcraft?

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Are you racing/trackdays or just looking at streetbike protection?

One is an all new cover and thick

One is a bolt on protector to go over the existing cover

I have seen both fail, but traditionally the thick aluminum covers can take a beating and keep working well for several slides and moderate impacts into solid objects

the composite thin cover, I have seen them punch through the oe cover underneath, but again it depends on the crash- I have also seen them slide 30-40 feet across a track surface and still be useable

Some race orgs may require more protection than the GB cover on some models, but generally I think they qualify most everywhere

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is for my zx6r track bike build. I just started doing track days and still in the novice group, so I'm not really even pushing hard until I learn a lot more like leaning well, better corner entry/exit, etc...

I have OES frame sliders on for now, and will be putting on HB fairings when they come in...

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've had both and crashed on both, and both held up well.

Outright longevity and durability = Woodcraft, without a doubt
Ease of initial install = GB covers

GB Racing covers are more of a one and done type cover, especially if it was a long slide.

That said, Woodcraft doesn't make a clutch cover, but GB does. Although, inherently by design, it's difficult to puncture the clutch cover on these motors because of how recessed the clutch cover is to the rest of the motor.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hit the ground hard enough and nothing is going to stop the covers from damage. I've seen the woodcraft's busted and leaking oil.

Does that mean they are useless.... NO. I've used both the above mentioned brands.

Buy what your wallet can afford. And thank you for making an effort in keeping the track oil free and safe for others to ride.

Cheers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have never seen a Woodcraft case explode in person but I have no doubt it's happened. That said, it's kind of like the steel toe boot theory. Yeah, if something truly heavy falls on them, they cut your toes off...but let's be real - anything that heavy, your foot is fucked either way. And any crash that would bust a Woodcraft cover...well, you were fucked anyways and it's probably the least of your worries.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Nothing scientific, but I feel like my ZX10 runs much warmer ever since I installed just the GB clutch cover. I’m planning on removing it pretty soon.

The Graves cover looks good, but would prefer it without the logo.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Nothing scientific, but I feel like my ZX10 runs much warmer ever since I installed just the GB clutch cover. I’m planning on removing it pretty soon.

The Graves cover looks good, but would prefer it without the logo.

I agree though, sometime I feel like I should be getting sponsorship from companies due to such prominent logos/branding.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I like the logo. G is a good letter. Now K, I don't like the letter K. No way to make K look kool. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have the GB covers for four reasons.
1 - In a fall on the street I should be able to ride it home w/o a leak. And I did.
2 - In a fall on the track I keep the track dry (along with my R&G tank guards). And I did.
3 - Easy for me to install.
4 - The are my initials. Though no one ever noticed :)

Actually both falls were a lowside to the left and the cover just got a scuff. Street at maybe 10mph and track at 55.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have the gb covers on both of my bikes but since I watched my buddy lowside his R6 at NJMP and crack his case with them I doubt them now. I’d get the woodcraft if I could do it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,288 Posts
I have the gb covers on both of my bikes but since I watched my buddy lowside his R6 at NJMP and crack his case with them I doubt them now. I’d get the woodcraft if I could do it over.

I would have expected case savers to limit wear through, rather than protect from serious impact. Sliding, rather than flipping, or running into curbs/rocks, etc.

Was your buddy in a simple low side, or did his crash involve more?:O

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would have expected case savers to limit wear through, rather than protect from serious impact. Sliding, rather than flipping, or running into curbs/rocks, etc.

Was your buddy in a simple low side, or did his crash involve more?:O

Definitely involved a little more...check it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts