Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,
I am new to this site and I also am new to the Ninja ZX6R. I just bought one a few days ago and I am really enjoying my bike. One problem I am having is the gas mileage. For some reason I am only getting like 75 MPG. I literally drove maybe 120 miles the other day and i had to fill up 2 times..... What could be wrong with my bike? I have read that I should get at least 150 MPG. Please let me know what you guys think could be the problem and how I could fix it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think you mean miles per tank. Not miles per gallon. 75 is pretty low. You are running super rich. Do you have a power commander installed? On my 07 I have a power commander with a custom map. Light comes on right about 100 miles. On my 13 however, I can go about 120-130. It is still running lean from the factory. Also those numbers are city MPG, not highway.

Reactions: huffy24

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes your right i meant miles per tank. As for the power commander, I bought the bike used, how could I tell if I have a power commander or not?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes your right i meant miles per tank. As for the power commander, I bought the bike used, how could I tell if I have a power commander or not?
90% of the time they are located under the passenger seat. Little electronic box that says power commander on it. Could you list off any other mods and service history that you know of? Or other than it being a 636 do you not know much about it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
90% of the time they are located under the passenger seat. Little electronic box that says power commander on it. Could you list off any other mods and service history that you know of? Or other than it being a 636 do you not know much about it?
I do not know much about the bike. I am at work now so I can't look to see if there is a power commander there but I have looked under the seat before and I don't remember seeing one so I don't think there is one. The only mod that I know of is the exhaust. It is a yoshimura but I don't know what kind.how can I find out any other mods?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I do not know much about the bike. I am at work now so I can't look to see if there is a power commander there but I have looked under the seat before and I don't remember seeing one so I don't think there is one. The only mod that I know of is the exhaust. It is a yoshimura but I don't know what kind.how can I find out any other mods?
If you purchased from a private seller you could ask him/her what they are. If you purchased from a dealer they might know. How many miles are on the bike just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you purchased from a private seller you could ask him/her what they are. If you purchased from a dealer they might know. How many miles are on the bike just out of curiosity?
I bought it from a dealership, it has roughly 7500 miles on it

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought it from a dealership, it has roughly 7500 miles on it
7500 miles is a big maintenance check. Here is the service manual http://support.bazzaz.net/service_manuals/ZX636C1_C6.pdf that will tell you everything you need to do, and how to do it step by step, which starts in section 2-3 under periodic maintenance.

Since you do no know much about the bike this is a great way to become familiar with it. And you will come across any mods that have been done as well. Almost all of the maintenance can be done with a basic tool set.

At the very minimum you'll want to do an oil change, flush the brake fluid front and rear, a coolant flush, and lube the clutch and throttle cables.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry didn't mean to get off track about the fuel mileage. It could be a few other things as well. I'm no mechanical expert so hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7500 miles is a big maintenance check. Here is the service manual http://support.bazzaz.net/service_manuals/ZX636C1_C6.pdf that will tell you everything you need to do, and how to do it step by step, which starts in section 2-3 under periodic maintenance.

Since you do no know much about the bike this is a great way to become familiar with it. And you will come across any mods that have been done as well. Almost all of the maintenance can be done with a basic tool set.

At the very minimum you'll want to do an oil change, flush the brake fluid front and rear, a coolant flush, and lube the clutch and throttle cables.
Thank you man I've been looking for the manual so I can know exactly what I'm riding! This is perfect brother I appreciate this!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have an 06 I get 150 till low fuel light comes on. If I use E85 mix and run hard I get 135-140 miles till it comes on. I will put 3.2 - 3.5 gallons in when light just comes on. Or about 42 mpg. I have dumped a tank at only 90 miles but we road hard those nights. I have 22,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have an 06 I get 150 till low fuel light comes on. If I use E85 mix and run hard I get 135-140 miles till it comes on. I will put 3.2 - 3.5 gallons in when light just comes on. Or about 42 mpg. I have dumped a tank at only 90 miles but we road hard those nights. I have 22,000 on the clock.
Unless the fuel system is set up for E85 then it is not recommend to run it. Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Unless the fuel system is set up for E85 then it is not recommend to run it. Just throwing that out there.
Many have done it for years with no real harm to fuel system. It is compatible to run fuel with alcohol up to 15%. All the fuel around me is 10%. We do not run straight E85 { no turbo no need } just enough to give a good little bump that is all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting topic... I just thought yesterday that I JUST FILLED UP!! LOL.... I haven't checked my actual mileage. I'll look into it and post results.

New owner to a 2005 636, 10,700 Miles, Only a Slip on Yosh pipe.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Interesting topic... I just thought yesterday that I JUST FILLED UP!! LOL.... I haven't checked my actual mileage. I'll look into it and post results.

New owner to a 2005 636, 10,700 Miles, Only a Slip on Yosh pipe.
if you ride normal with a little fun you should hit 150 miles.

·
Registered
404 Posts
26k, full m4, lowered gearing, K&N oil + air, ECU flash, 75/25 hwy/city @6-8k RPM,

about 35-38 MPG, or 4 gallons about every 130-140 miles (89 grade)

...Sundays can be pretty on the wallet though >.>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts