Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 zx6r that's been sitting for 9 months. I have this premium gasoline stored in milk jug containers that's been sitting for two months with no fuel stabilizer. I plan on using new gas before starting bike. Could I use that 2 month old gasoline for it? What else besides gas should go into gas tank?

What else should be done before starting bike? Should I change oil before or after first ride?

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Drain the fuel that has stood in the bike for 9 months. It's likely flat by now..... Particularly if the tank was less than completely full when storage began........ If there was fuel stabilizer in the tank, ignore this.

Tire pressure, almost certainly low.

Brake fluid? Complete flush is in order.

Drive chain could use some attention.

Was the battery connected? Was it on a smart tender?

If the containers you have the premium fuel in were airtight, you might be okay......there's a lot of good reasons fuel should be stored in approved containers....

·
Registered
623 Posts
9 months without riding?

Don’t know about milk jugs but I’ve had gasoline stored in 5 gallon containers for over 2 months without problems. My scooters sometimes sit for 2 or 3 months without being started or ridden. My CBR had to sit for a couple of months while I got over heart surgery and the ZX6R sat for 3 months while my knee healed from scooter crash. Never a problem! They were in my garage but routinely have gas for lawnmower stored outside. My generator did get fiddle after sitting for a couple of years. Like you said start with fresh gas and refil from jugs so that it is half and half new and old gas.

I would change oil if it had been a while before being stored. If it was changed just before scoring I would. It change oil.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
My bike's are my kids. Nothing but the best for them.

Drain the gas and pour it and the jugs into your car.
Fresh gas for the bike. The car will have many gallons of fresh gas to dilute the stale stuff.
Look for crap in the containers before putting in your car.

Wouldn't do that again with the milk jugs. I've seen some melt and there are laws saying fuel can only go into approved containers.
Your insurance company could have fun saying hell no we aren't covering the fire from your negligence.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Drain the fuel that has stood in the bike for 9 months. It's likely flat by now..... Particularly if the tank was less than completely full when storage began........ If there was fuel stabilizer in the tank, ignore this.

Tire pressure, almost certainly low.

Brake fluid? Complete flush is in order.

Drive chain could use some attention.

Was the battery connected? Was it on a smart tender?

If the containers you have the premium fuel in were airtight, you might be okay......there's a lot of good reasons fuel should be stored in approved containers....
Its a long story of why it sat for so long (well, I've been severly depressed most of that period, so maybe not so long of a story, and I may write another blog post on this issue). I at first thought it would just sit for a few weeks, but it turned into this long. The battery is still connected. The longer side of the battery is positioned parallel to wheels, not perpendicular. It's power source batteries. The gas was in that one red 5 gallon container till about a week ago, so it's two months old from the pump, not the milk jug container.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
If the gas can was sealed, I personally would use it without hesitation. That would also depend on how the container was stored. In a garage, or basement would be better than outside in the weather as an example.

Glad to hear you're feeling better...... Motorcycles have always been one of the cornerstones of my existence. My wife knew that before we got married, in 1986. Not the one and only, but definitely on the short list.?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts