Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well lol I lost my twist gas cap last night and had to order one. It wont be here until tomorrow. It's Friday and I'm going to go riding any cons about riding around for a day without a gas cap? besides dirt and maybe poor mpg

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Any spilled gasoline is going to be slippery as anything you can imagine. there's a reason that they clean that sh*t up on a racetrack.

Not to mention how irritated your loins would be if you soak them in gas.

If you can't seal the hole, don't ride the bike.

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
Any way you can plug the hole in a fairly secure way would be fine. You definitely don't want to ride with it open though. A guy I know did that at the track once...he forgot to put the cap back on and within the first couple of turns, got a big splash of gas all over his leathers, tank and everything. Doesn't work well :)

Reactions: NorthTX

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new one is on but I notice there is finger nail gap on one side but I guess you get what you pay for

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
The new one is on but I notice there is finger nail gap on one side but I guess you get what you pay for
It's probably fine. I'm guessing it has an O-ring to seal like most of them do, right? My Vortex gas cap has one on the piece that has the male threads (the one that screws off).

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

Don't buy that platitude crap (from others), even with a 'finger nail gap', that's enough to spill gas onto your tank, which can irreparably dull the finish on your tank and any other painted surfaces. As other have eluded to, if it runs down onto your crotch - and it always does, your nuts will feel like they are on fire... a splash of water ain't enough to quench the burn.

Quit trying to save a penny by buying something cheap, get a cap that fits properly. You get sand/dust into your fuel & past the filter, or clogs the filter, and you'll spend more on repairs than any imagined savings.

But hey, it's your bike, your money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's probably fine. I'm guessing it has an O-ring to seal like most of them do, right? My Vortex gas cap has one on the piece that has the male threads (the one that screws off).

I change o ring and it fits flush now. it was 138 shipped so not cheap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best. Thread. Ever

Thanks for the lols. Doesn't care about riding without a gas cap, does care about sticky residue left from duct tape. Brilliant.

(Note: You can use fuel to dissolve sticky glue residue, but alcohol is better)
hahaha so funny little shit I drove around all day no gas spilled so your either a monkey or just a spammer

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
hahaha so funny little shit I drove around all day no gas spilled so your either a monkey or just a spammer
Lol, well he did make a good point actually ;)

So brand of gas cap is it? Just curious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts