Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I keep noticing more and more corrosion being built up on my gas tank cap. I don't have any corrosion problems with my 12 250r so I'm wondering wtf?

What do you guys reccomend to protect my gas cap?:eh:

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think the 13's have brass as the metal face plate there.....unless i'm mistaken, I think it is....I'm too lazy at this point to go downstairs in the garage and look.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ahh! mine's like this as well, but worse! It scares the crap outta me whenever I have to stick my key in there.. It's kind of bent, so one day I'm expecting it to snap, and bite me in the ass..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eh, not sure how applying some lubricating oil will work out. That gas cap is rusting fast. If it stops working will it fall under kawasaki warranty?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine looks the same on my 2013 ZX6R. I put some Frog Lube in the key hole and some around it. If you're wondering, Frog Lube is what I use to lubricate my firearms. Any gun oil will help prevent corrosion. It worked for me. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine looks the same on my 2013 ZX6R. I put some Frog Lube in the key hole and some around it. If you're wondering, Frog Lube is what I use to lubricate my firearms. Any gun oil will help prevent corrosion. It worked for me. :)
frog lube eh? I'll look into that

·
Registered
971 Posts
I believe those caps are actually made of zinc or at least appears to be zinc. Did they make them out of zinc as a sacrificial anode? I dunno, I do know that a little graphite into the lock cylinder works wonders and a squirt of WD-40 around the outside and on the locking pawls on the inside keeps mine pretty corrosion free and smooth operation.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Any place your having corrosion issues I would recommend Corrosion Block.

CORROSION BLOCK Corrosion Block | West Marine

Been using it on the boat for years. Works great. Also if you spray it in you electrical connectors before you put them back together you will never have to deal with bad connection from corrosion. It doesn't evaporate like WD-40. Great stuff.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe those caps are actually made of zinc or at least appears to be zinc. Did they make them out of zinc as a sacrificial anode? I dunno, I do know that a little graphite into the lock cylinder works wonders and a squirt of WD-40 around the outside and on the locking pawls on the inside keeps mine pretty corrosion free and smooth operation.
My 2009 has a sticky gas cap too. I may try lithium grease to get the squeaks out.
Any place your having corrosion issues I would recommend Corrosion Block.

CORROSION BLOCK Corrosion Block | West Marine

Been using it on the boat for years. Works great. Also if you spray it in you electrical connectors before you put them back together you will never have to deal with bad connection from corrosion. It doesn't evaporate like WD-40. Great stuff.
Natta-boy! :)

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Be careful using graphite and liquid lubricants in close proximity like that. If they mix, it will turn into a paste and do the opposite of lubricate.

My 2009 has a sticky gas cap too. I may try lithium grease to get the squeaks out.
I wouldn't recommend lithium grease in the locking cylinder. It's too thick, and it doesn't let everything move as freely (I tried it). I think the best thing to use is something like Break Free CLP since it is very thin, and it will clean, lubricate and protect the mechanism from corrosion.

I recently took the whole gas cap and locking mechanisms apart and cleaned and lubricated them. It has been working perfectly since then.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Be careful using graphite and liquid lubricants in close proximity like that. If they mix, it will turn into a paste and do the opposite of lubricate.

I wouldn't recommend lithium grease in the locking cylinder. It's too thick, and it doesn't let everything move as freely (I tried it). I think the best thing to use is something like Break Free CLP since it is very thin, and it will clean, lubricate and protect the mechanism from corrosion.

I recently took the whole gas cap and locking mechanisms apart and cleaned and lubricated them. It has been working perfectly since then.

I only use just enough to keep lock free, I don't hose it as I'm aware of the graphite goopy-ness that can happen. Thank you for mentioning BREAK FREE CLP, that stuff is the shizz nizzle! Use it on alot of stuff, but I'm currently out of it. Must be why I forgot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts