Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.
Bought a track day toy, which I plan to make road legal for the odd trip to the shops, its been around the circuits for a while, and has a few scars, and bumps, but, the mechanics are good, and is all there, so worth a go...
I'll be dropping by with updates and progress..there is no real timeline, but next season would be nice, lets see how it goes...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Front end strip down, the 6 pots are staying, yes I know there are fabulous Nissin 4 pots out there, but I like the 6's and am not afraid to take them apart and rebuild them, fork seals are shot, rad will have to go, a whole host of new bolts and fixings are on the way, but its not too bad, and enjoying it..so far!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'll be interested in how you solve the lighting issue. I've thought about doing this but it will take a lot to get lights in my race fairings..at least well enough to pass an inspection and not add a lot of weight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be interested in how you solve the lighting issue. I've thought about doing this but it will take a lot to get lights in my race fairings..at least well enough to pass an inspection and not add a lot of weight.
Not running lights, only a rain light on a 3 way switch, on, off and on which will be wired to the brake light wiring, so on the road it will work, no front lights at all, daytime M.O.T in the UK dont require them.. although I did look at some endurance front lights, but resisted...just!

·
Registered
596 Posts
WOW that is amazing. Would have thought MOT in England would require front lights and particular as they seem about other stuff. I've been looking at stuff for my new bike, hate relays and fuse boxes. Have run across a couple of controllers that have electronic fuses and use inputs to control outputs - i.e. no relays for stuff like lights and flasher ability - great for LED lights and turn signals. Know you are going a simpler route but gets me thinking about the possibilities for lighting and controls that are simple and work great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I could..I would build mounts directly into the race fairings for lights. something like a bayonette mount..just twist them on and off....hmmm. The tailight could be one of those LED strips. The headlights are the big prob.
Guess living in UK you get a break on some things...and good beer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The joys of old bikes. radiator pipe fitting snapped.. swingarm hiding some crash damage, which was expected, rather than repair, sourced replacements, there are plenty out there, just need to have a really good look at the pictures before buying, or if your lucky, know someone braking(parting out) one... so far so good, rear shock is good, front forks are okay, new seals and 15W oil, as I'm of the fuller figure!
Looking pretty sad for itself at the moment, but, its all for the greater good!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've always found it amazing how much stuff is crammed into a bike. Especially the newer ones. Its why, if I decide to build another one it will be an old one. Simplicity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always found it amazing how much stuff is crammed into a bike. Especially the newer ones. Its why, if I decide to build another one it will be an old one. Simplicity.
Its all the little bits that get forgot.. then when someone comes along that wants to have a better look, its luck of the draw if its coming off, of going in the bin... found my stock of oil's, easing fluids and lightest of touches has increased no end in recent years, that and a set of JIS screwdrivers...most helpful! lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been a bit quiet in the garage, but managed to source a few more bits, painted the walls to brighten it up, and with a few goodies for Xmas, I'm looking forward to getting back on with it...

·
Registered
596 Posts
OK so I'm scrolling down thru the thread and enjoying the read. It's almost 4PM and lunch seems like a long time ago and up comes the fabulous photo of the the croissants! Now I'm starving! :)

EDIT: Bike looks good, almost forgot to say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK so I'm scrolling down thru the thread and enjoying the read. It's almost 4PM and lunch seems like a long time ago and up comes the fabulous photo of the the croissants! Now I'm starving! :)

EDIT: Bike looks good, almost forgot to say.
Hahaha... just had to be done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Serviced calipers, new seals, stainless fittings, coat of caliper paint, bled on the bench, then finished off once back on the bike, finished with track pads. nice little job ticked of the list...

Another little job was to do the birdcage delete, ZZR 6 clock/fairing bracket, with a homemade mounting plate from the clocks to the bracket, first attempt looked spot on, but was to tall, so out came the saw, cut it all about, then mated to the clocks, and drilled a fitting through the bracket. Ignition switch is the toggle to the right top, and all sits nicely in the screen...

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Be sure to finish the brake job correctly with full cleaning of the rotors then bed those pads in correctly, otherwise all the work is sortof a waste....

Reactions: ZX6Nick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few more jobs done, all starting to come together nicely, some wiring jobs next on the list...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts