Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone advise please?
My G2 has been stowed away for 4 years as I moved out from my parents but didn't have anywhere to park at my house, I am now looking to get it back on the road for the next year but am worried I may do some damage if I try to start it without some sort of check or preventative measure.

Can anyone give me some advice?

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
A freind of mine just lost his licence and now put his 07 gixer 1000 away in storage and been told by a bike shop to drain the fuel out and put it under a cover.. I prob would put new oil and just give it a new battery or charge and give it a start up and see how it goes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well the advice it before storage to either put an additive into your fuel to stop it gunging up, to lift both wheels (tyres another words) up off the ground and to replace your oil.

So taking that into account as you said its been "four years" (how could you abandon your baby that long :coocoo) I personally would change the oil, take out your plugs and give them a good clean, your fuel tanks likely to be gunged up (modern fuel has a nasty habit of leaving residue everywhere) so empty it and flush it, if you just left it without running the system dry your carbs etc will also need cleaning (but you can probably do this later).

I'd check the tyres throughly, make sure they are not perished, cos if they have been left standing, not been inflated or moved in four years they more than likely will of done and certainly will have flat spots. I'd replace both tyres asap because they will be dangerous otherwise.

Charge your battery off the bike if you can and make sure its in a good condition, which once again its unlikely to be after the length of time you have left it alone. So you may need to replace it also.

I cant think of much else other than check your lights, check your chains oiled and dont rev the bollocks out of it when you fire it up first time. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Aaron,

That's tough on your mate having to put a new bike away, however undoubtedly if you play with fire, some time or other you will get burnt.

My main concern is the engine and carbs as I hadn't drained the system or anything like that as I didn't expect it to be this length of time.:redface:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hardcase,
The main reason for my first baby being left for so long was moving home and then another little baby came along which is a little more demanding (and who loves to watch motorbikes on the tv) taking up most of my time.
You mentioned an additive for preventing gunging prior to storage, do you know of any additives that could be used to clean the system through such as those used for cars?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sure if you asked at your local dealers or searched the net you would find an flushing solution and having just taken a quick google you might wanna add another to the first tank full to clean carbs up etc.

Whether it be for a car or motorcycle i dont think the flush really minds!..:)

I know the feeling about kids coming along trust me, it forced me off the road (bike anyways) for 15 years!.. :devious

·
Registered
900 Posts
If I ever get a second hand bike I always add Redex to the fuel for a couple of thousand miles, cleans carbs and removes carbon deposits in the top end.

Before that though, if you're draining the tank, while its off remove the plugs (therefore no compression) squirt 50-100ml of redex/oil (preferably redex as it burns better) into each cylinder leave to stand for 1/2 hour. Put the bike in gear (2nd or 3rd) and rock backwards and forwards try to get it so the pistons will have done a complete revolution.

This is worth doing as if any damp ingress occurred when stored the piston rings could stick to the bores, if you tried to start it the rings could shatter and lunch the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks Buster,:bigthumb:

One of my major concrens is that I may do some damage by trying to start it without any preperation first off.

Does anyone have any other useful tips (additional to the much appreciated ones already) to prevent any damage??

·
Registered
127 Posts
A good spray of gt85 on metal parts never goes a miss! How about a good clean while your at it, lol ;-)

·
Registered
127 Posts
OH, and check the brakes, i rekon the pistons will have stuck, may need to remove, pumb out clean, push back in and coat the back of the brake pad with copper greesseee! nice. you prop need new brake fluid, and id look to chacnge the coolant also, really your bike needs a service, but its upto you how much you wanna do, engine and brakes first, and chain and tyres. Good luck it will be worth it when its done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hoping Buster will reply to this as I'm kinda following his advice.:hail

Got the chance to strip the bike down last night and tried to turn the engine over using the rear wheel, but no joy.

Unfortunately I can only get it into first gear so I'm not sure whether the gearing is stopping the motor from turning or whether the rings are stuck:O.

I've left it to soak overnight and will try again tonight but can anyone advise how I can get it into a higher gear as I don't want to use any shock movement just in case I cause any damage.

It's currently sat on a paddock stand so I'm trying everything by hand.

·
Registered
166 Posts
putting it into 1st and get the engine moving before any starting would at least get the top end moving, if sat stationary for so long.

I would def clean out the carbs and tank as as mentioned they will be gunked up and will def not help when trying your first start up.

this might sound a bit daft but if garaged and safe to do so, get a standard convector heater or tube heater and heat the garage up overnight, getting heat into the bike wont be a bad idea, even better get the bike into the living room for a few days and then start her up in the house :). General idea is to remove any moisture from the engine.

Other than trying to free up your gearbox and top end by rocking the bike in gear, oil change, sparkplug replacement/clean, new/charged battery ect.

As for the tyres 4years without a turn, i would change them.

A wee check is to dip your finger into the water bottle and taste it,should be sweet. Cos hopefully you have added enought anti-freeze in the past and over last 4years it has not frozen and caused problems.

Give that airfiler a clean/replace while your at it. Some nice bp optimax tank full, atempt starting her on one battery and once started keep watching the temp and make sure your fan is coming on and bike is not overheating, ie water stat.

Then for the first tank full at least, nice and easy on the twist and remember a little redex

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Treelowa and dougie1000

Many thanks for your comments, I was successful with the engine, bike turns over fine, so the next jobs are brakes, change oil, fuel system, make sure all is okay and take a trip to the local MoT centre.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Kwakaman, sorry I didn't reply, had a hectic few months and now find myself in Dubai! So my bike is laid up in UK until Xmas and haven't had chance to do any pre-storage but at least its up on stands.
If you ever have difficulty getting the bike to turn over by using the in gear and rocking technique, take the plugs out and then you're not fighting compression. Good luck with the rest of stuff you've got to do, and follow Dougies advice, take it east those first few hundred miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts