Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ZX6R G2
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my 1999 G2 Running after sitting for 10 years but having an issue now

got bike running, fresh plugs fuel etc, idle circuit was dirty (revving out really really nice beyond 2k, just lumpy below and struggling to rev)
removed carbs, number 2-3 idle jet were blocked. cleaned them up and and gave all bowls and jets a good cleaning out (Dident touch anything else)

bike started, idled great and sounds awsome, then got the carbs balanced as it has been sat for 10 years after all

sounds smoother than it ever has, but now when you rev it, the revs hang and take about a second to come back to idle..unlike before the revs were straight back down to idle

ive checked for anything obvious, but ill be honest im at a loss now?

any suggestions to check

thankg guys

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
If you reversed the orientation of the CV diaphragm you will drastically change how quickly the needles drop

·
Registered
482 Posts
sounds smoother than it ever has, but now when you rev it, the revs hang and take about a second to come back to idle..unlike before the revs were straight back down to idle

ive checked for anything obvious, but ill be honest im at a loss now?
A hanging idle is typically a sign of a lean condition. Where are your mixture screws at? I would set them to 2.5 turns out as a start. I would also check for an air leak around the carbs by spraying starting fluid, brake cleaner, etc. around the carbs and intake boots while it is idling. If the idle jumps with the spray you have found your leak.

Riverszzr is going to be here in a minute to tell you that your carb clean was completely inadequate and they need to be stripped and dipped, but I will not be so harsh and will say that it is probably OK if all the cylinders fire properly at idle and it runs well enough to be balanced properly. It isn't ideal, but any gunked up passages will show up at idle first and you say that it idles OK, so you aren't far off.

Mark

·
Registered
1999 ZX6R G2
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you reversed the orientation of the CV diaphragm you will drastically change how quickly the needles drop
i was told something similar by a friend of mine, but i dident touch the diaphrams

·
Registered
482 Posts
was thinking the same thing, cant find or see anything obvious, are the boots prone to leaking air with age?
There is an O-ring between the boots and the head. Those O-rings tend to break down over time, causing leaks and are well worth replacing on a 22 year old bike.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts