Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My most common behavior, is to ride the bike often enough to avoid complications from the fuel going off. I try and maintain the tank as topped up as is physically possible to reduce the volume of air that can expand and contract, which limits moisture being sucked in and getting trapped in the tank.

I almost always run national brand name fuel.... It's been 90+% Shell premium for the past 40K miles.

Not being likely to ride for the next few months, I'm thinking fuel stabilizer. I only need to treat about 15 gallons, between the gas powered tools, and the bike. I've never futzed with Seafoam.

What would you recommend?:O

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have been using Sta-Bil “storage” (red) in all my fuel - whether the bike is being stored or not - for over twenty years; I highly endorse it!

Lately i’ve been trying another Sta-Bil product called “Sta-Bil 360 Protection” which is advertised as an ethanol treatment, but also says it stabilizes fuel for a year (whereas the “storage” product is rated at 2 yrs).

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I’ve been lucky enough recently to have non-ethanol fuels available so i dont treat my fuel much, but when I did I used either sta-bil or sea foam products with no issue over the winter periods

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a jug of fuel stabilizer in my garage that I bought shortly after we purchased this place. Can't remember what brand it is, just know it looks like I bought it at a big box store.... 8 years, and I know more than 2/3 of the contents remain. The label gives it a shelf life which is years in the past.

Not sure how a stabilizer should have a shelf life..... Not knowing the chemistry of the liquid in the container, I am loathe to use it anyway. Hence a small amount of fresh stabilizer, so I can consume it all at one time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Almost never use fuel stabilizers and never had a problem, bikes have sat for 3 months without being run, only thing I’ve had a problem with was the Honda Metropolitan scooter- it sat for a year but ran about as badly as before. Took carb off and soaked and it runs perfectly. Don’t know if it makes a difference but mostly run Shell premium. Plus I keep them in the garage which is never hot or cold - low 50s to 80.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Using stabilizer is a small price to pay (literally) than to have to rebuild a carburetor or buy new fuel injectors. For me at least.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sta-bil works great. Also it doesn’t matter which “brand” gas you run in the US. That’s just advertisement. Fuel quality is mandated at the FEDERAL level in the US. not going to affect your storage

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Techron....smeckron..... sounds like you’ve been watching too many Chevron commercials! ;-b
I don't watch TV and I don't buy into advertising hype either..........

10 years of use on hundreds of bikes is why I recommend TECHRON...........

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Good to know! When I looked Techron up online it said it was classified as a detergent, and specifically stated to NOT be for storage.
I have had numerous customers put it in their tanks and leave the bikes sit for 6+ months without issue..........

My mustang gets the same treatment since it sits from first snow to well past the snow all gone (easily 8 months out of the year)...... But that I know always gets no ethanol fuel with every fill, customers bikes I have no idea what any of them run, but I would bet most of them just run the shittiest cheapest fuel they can find and don't give a rats ass if it is 10% ethanol or 15% ethanol or no ethanol

My own bike may sit for 3+ months most winters, some it is for 5 or even 6 months if really snowy and cold.......... I treat it the same with the techron as I do my car and it too only sees non-ethanol fuel and has likewise not had any fuel related issues in like 97,500 miles over the past 11+ years.......

But yes, it is a detergent, and excellent one at that, but I do believe it also helps keep the fuel more "fresh"... or maybe fuel doesn't go bad as quickly as many think? I would not plan to leave fuel sit for a year a more no matter what I put in it and then still burn it in anything but the firepit.........

I have several bikes here that have been sitting for 5+ years that miraculously still start and run, albeit not very well, but obviously the fuel still burns....... it makes a great fire starter!!!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I use StarTron (https://amzn.to/2ZZUDUy) in the bike and the boat. Both have sat for several months with no issues at all.

It's inexpensive and it works great! It comes in an 8 fl. oz. bottle, and the initial dose is 1 fl. oz. per 3 gallons of fuel. So 1 bottle will treat 24 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I got near the end of my last ride, and had to fill the tank before going home I bought a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and dumped about 1/3 of the bottle in the tank. Filled it to mix it, rode home. Bike sat for a day, then I rode it round trip to work twice. I could smell the cleaner in the exhaust, even after the bike reached temp. I know it was at least 2X the proscribed ratio..... Figured if I burned it off quickly I would have a better chance of avoiding damage to seals o rings, etc.

Happily, after running 140 miles I refilled the tank today without adding more cleaner. Systemic shock, hopefully without repercussion. I'll dump the rear of the cleaner in my 2 5 gallon gas cans, so it can take a crack at my mowers and pressure washer over the fall and winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts