Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently ripped apart the bike to do routine maintenance and discovered that the previous owner had wired the fuel pump in a weird way. The black and yellow wire is missing from the back of the male connector on the bike. In the wiring diagram, this looks like a ground wire. While taking the bike apart, it looked like the previous owner had wired it to the *positive* side of the battery. I have no experience with electronics or wiring so I'm not sure if the reason to do this was to power the pump or ground it. The wiring according to the previous owner and wiring diagram seem to contradict each other. So my question is, if the black and yellow wire is missing from the back of the male connector, can I just tap into the wire on the female connector on the fuel pump side and ground it to the battery? I've attached pictures for reference. You can see two wires coming off the male connector and some leftover copper wires where the black and yellow wire should be.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
I had trouble loading the schematic, but did get a look at the plug.

I presume the pump works as intended? I would guess the low fuel light does not?

If you only have two wires of three connected, and the pump works, that's all I can think may be possible. A different pump than OEM may be installed, with different color coding.... The connector may have failed or burnt up and it's been bodged to get by....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had trouble loading the schematic, but did get a look at the plug.

I presume the pump works as intended? I would guess the low fuel light does not?

If you only have two wires of three connected, and the pump works, that's all I can think may be possible. A different pump than OEM may be installed, with different color coding.... The connector may have failed or burnt up and it's been bodged to get by....
Actually the bike refuses to start and I can't hear the fuel pump prime. I keep getting the low fuel message on the dash so the fuel light works but it doesn't seem to be pulling any gas. Is the black and yellow wire supposed to be just for the low fuel light? If you happen to have the service manual for the bike, the schematic I'm referring to is on Pg. 475.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
The yellow/red wire needs to be connected to the white/red wire.

Your white/red wire seems like its cut and burnt up. Cant tell from the angle of the picture but it all looks shitty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The yellow/red wire needs to be connected to the white/red wire.

Your white/red wire seems like its cut and burnt up. Cant tell from the angle of the picture but it all looks shitty.
None of the wires in the area look great and the white/red is cut up. Not sure if that is the problem though. The blue connector at the top is what the previous owner used to tap into the connector on the fuel pump side and ground the pump or whatever he did with that. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Can you directly ground the fuel pump to the bike and ignore the ground wire on the male connector entirely?

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Yeah the black wire is fine. Looks like the wire got pulled out of the female end and there wasnt enough left so he just extended it and used a wire-tap to hook it up.

But the white/red wire needs to be hooked up too. Thats the power wire. If thats cut, the pump wont get any power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the black wire is fine. Looks like the wire got pulled out of the female end and there wasnt enough left so he just extended it and used a wire-tap to hook it up.

But the white/red wire needs to be hooked up too. Thats the power wire. If thats cut, the pump wont get any power.
Yeah, I had a friend come by and look at it. He said the exposed wire might be shorting the system out. We're gonna go through the wiring and make sure any exposed wires like that are covered up before trying to start the bike again.

In case anyone else has similar issues, we've figured out that the missing wire is definitely a ground and goes into a connector that is eventually grounded to the battery. All wires that go into this connector are black and white just like the wiring diagram shows. I'll update once the bike starts to see if that was indeed the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, finally had the time to work on it. IT'S FIXED! It was just a ground wire issue so I used a crimp connector on the fuel pump side of the connector to run a wire directly to the negative side of the battery. It really was that simple. But I also went through and looked at a lot of the corroded wires in the area and decided to tape up anything that looked exposed or it looked like it might short out. Thanks for the help/input. Hope this helps if someone has a similar issue in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts