Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new to this forum so excuse if i make any mistakes! My 1998 zx6r was purchased as a damaged bike. It runs fine until its in gear and the throttle is applied. It then stutters like it is not getting enough fuel. When the ignition is turned on the fuel pump does not operate for 3 seconds as it should. I have checked the fuel pump relay with a meter and its fine, all fuses seem to be ok and the fuel pump operates direct from the battery!!! any ideas?:O

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Those fuel pumps do not prime. Take off the fuel lines from the carbs that run to the pump and turn on the bike to see if it shoots fuel if it doesn't replace it. Check the plugs to see if they are lean. Check if you have any air leaks around the carb boots. You might need a sync, honestly google motorcycle troubleshooting and follow the steps that are provided. Saying the bike stutters could mean a few things other than a lack of fuel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have connected the fuel pump direct to the battery with the pump cover off, cleaned the contacts and it works fine and fuel pumps out! The problem seems to be that power is getting to the fuel pump relay (relay has been checked out and its fine) but not from the relay to the fuel pump!! I will get the loom from the relay to the pump checked out. I have cleaned the carbs and checked the air flow and all seems fine. The issue seems to be no electric getting to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
could be an "open" in the circuit wiring for the pump after the relay...

always do the simplest things first...

use the theory of, power to it, power thru it... work from point "A" to "B"... so, batt. to fuse...fuse to relay... then relay to pump... then across pump... then pump back to ground...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts