Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I posted a thread about my 2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636cc having a mechanical issue ( http://zx6r.com/mechanical-technical/20552-2003-zx6r-idle-issue-dies.html ) . The issue being, the bike idles improperly and dies on me when I'm not giving it some throttle/gas.

----------------------------------------------[ISSUE RECAP: This is for new readers]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plain and simple my bike dies a lot when I'm not revving the throttle. In more detail...when I first start my bike to warm it up, it will start up with no problems at all. After a minute, give or take about 30 seconds, the Rpm's drop, the bike begins to sputter (do to the Rpm's dropping) until it shuts off. Then I start it back up again with no problems and just keep revving the throttle every now and again to keep the bike from cutting off. Usually I have to do the same type of revving when I come to a stop or red light to keep the bike from shutting off.

Note: The bike does not always cut off when I'm not giving it gas. Some times when I warm it up, the bike will do the whole dying process, jump down to about 500 Rpm's, bounce around between 300 to 800 Rpm's and never actually die; For a couple of minutes anyway. The same goes for stopping at red lights. I can stop, put the bike in neutral, apply no throttle at all and the bike will bounce around at 15 hundred to 17 hundred Rpm's and never die. Though, sometimes at stops the bike will do the same thing as explained previously except after some number of seconds the bike's Rpm's will drop down to about 500 Rpm's and begin it's downward spiral till it shuts off. All of this can be avoided from happening as long as throttle is applied to keep it from shutting down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently took it to a bike shop and explained my problem to a technician. His thoughts were, idle speed may need to be adjusted, it could be a bad battery, bad spark plugs, dirty fuel filter, bad fuel pump. Some other people on my old thread also suggested the throttle bodies might need to be synced.

So I have begun to check off some suggestion on my list of solutions. So far I have adjusted the idle to about 15 hundred Rpm's the best I could while the bike was completely warm (like I mentioned earlier the bike idles improperly, so at one second I'll be at 15 hundred Rpm's and the next I'll be at 2000 Rpm's) , Used up 2 Tanks of gas (Premium of course) containing about half a can of SeaFoam each, cleaned my K&N air filter (Properly! following the instructions) with the 'K&N air filter cleaning kit' and I replaced all 4 of my spark plugs with the specified new ones. Unfortunately none of those solved my problem; The bike does run a little bit better though.

Since I got the cheap fixes out the way, my next guess is that the problem is most likely my fuel pump or fuel filter. Reason being is, as long as I'm revving the throttle (thus forcing gas to where it needs to go) the bike stays alive. Also my friend said his truck had the same problem and he changed his fuel filter the same day and it fixed the issue. So my next target is cleaning the Fuel Filter.

[QUESTIONS]

1) Where is the fuel pump and fuel filter located? (I'm pretty positive the fuel pump is in the gas tank. The fuel filter I'm not 100% on but I believe it is attached to the fuel pump.)

2)Is it a Fuel Filter or Filter sock; what does it look like?

3) Can the Fuel Filter/Filter Sock be replaced by itself or would I have to replace it along with the fuel pump? ( Have a guesstimation on how much that would cost? or a link to a cheap place to buy one?)

4) Can I just disassemble the Fuel Pump and remove the Fuel Filter/Fuel Sock and clean it?

5) Assuming I can, What should I use to safely clean it with? ( If you have a link to a HowTo video or an instructional website on how to do the process please leave it in your reply.)

6) Any other suggestions you strongly might think it would be? ( please tell me why you would think that's the issue.)

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
[QUESTIONS]

1) Where is the fuel pump and fuel filter located? (I'm pretty positive the fuel pump is in the gas tank. The fuel filter I'm not 100% on but I believe it is attached to the fuel pump.)

2)Is it a Fuel Filter or Filter sock; what does it look like?

3) Can the Fuel Filter/Filter Sock be replaced by itself or would I have to replace it along with the fuel pump? ( Have a guesstimation on how much that would cost? or a link to a cheap place to buy one?)

4) Can I just disassemble the Fuel Pump and remove the Fuel Filter/Fuel Sock and clean it?

5) Assuming I can, What should I use to safely clean it with? ( If you have a link to a HowTo video or an instructional website on how to do the process please leave it in your reply.)

6) Any other suggestions you strongly might think it would be? ( please tell me why you would think that's the issue.)
The fuel filter is inside the fuel pump which is inside the bottom of the tank; Kawasaki tells you you have to replace the fuel pump if the filter is clogged, b/c the pumps are technically non-serviceable. That being said, it is possible to disassemble and clean them if you know what you're doing. Yamaha combustion chamber works well for cleaning them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the service Manual. This will make a lot of things a lot easier.

Hmm...Yeah Don't really have the spare dough to spend on a new fuel filter/pump combo ahaha. So I'm just gonna disassemble and clean it myself. I will just have to be very careful and do some more research on the process. Have you cleaned your fuel filter before and know what works from experience?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've been inside the fuel pump. Not fun & as ET said, not technically serviceable. My bike had 30K+ on her & there was barely anything in there. A few specs, at best.

My problem (high RPM weakness, would only rev to about 12K in any gear) actually ended up being my K&N... & yes I had serviced it properly.

I got a standard Kawi filter & she ran better than she had in years! I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it myself. Since then, it's only the OEM filter for my late model machines.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Thanks for the service Manual. This will make a lot of things a lot easier.

Hmm...Yeah Don't really have the spare dough to spend on a new fuel filter/pump combo ahaha. So I'm just gonna disassemble and clean it myself. I will just have to be very careful and do some more research on the process. Have you cleaned your fuel filter before and know what works from experience?
No, never had to clean my fuel pumps before. I've watched people disassemble Suzuki pumps before, that's about all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts