Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, happy Friday, guys.

So I decided to quit work early today and go out and shred some twisties.

I'm wearing my new icon summer jacket and loving every second of it, the weather is like 90+ today, not a cloud in the sky.

So I get to the twisties and I start picking up speed going into turn one when all of the sudden I feel a REALLY sharp pain like someone has jabbed a hypodermic needle into my skin followed by this electric shock feeling.

I audibly "yelped" into my helmet it hurt that bad. I then realize "SHIT! TURN!" and barely make turn 1 by hanging off the bike like a monkey in a tree.

I then feel, 2, 3, 4, 5 more REALLY bad pains, I go into turn 2 (which is like a switchback close to turn 1) and make the turn and then feel 6, 7, 8 more SHARP, SHARP pains.

I get on a straight away and pull over immediately. Almost drop my bike I wanted to get my jacket off so bad.

I rip my jacket off, my shirt off and throw them on the ground.

Sure enough, I look down and not 1 but TWO GIANT, Texas sized white-faced hornets are crawling around on the INSIDE of my shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!

I crush the bastards and examine my right side. I have at least 9-10 giant welts on my side.

Anyone else have bee/hornet stories while riding? Figure it'd be a fun thread lol.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I had a wasp hit me in the neck, then go down the collar of my jacket and sting me near my collar bone. I stuck my hand down my jacket and crushed whatever it was. I'm not sure if it was a wasp or a bee or a hornet, but it stung like hell

Reactions: JDG636

·
Registered
4,554 Posts

I'm wearing my new icon summer jacket and loving every second of it, the weather is like 90+ today, not a cloud in the sky.

So I get to the twisties and I start picking up speed going into turn one when all of the sudden I feel a REALLY sharp pain like someone has jabbed a hypodermic needle into my skin followed by this electric shock feeling.

I audibly "yelped" into my helmet it hurt that bad. I then realize "SHIT! TURN!" and barely make turn 1 by hanging off the bike like a monkey in a tree.

I then feel, 2, 3, 4, 5 more REALLY bad pains, I go into turn 2 (which is like a switchback close to turn 1) and make the turn and then feel 6, 7, 8 more SHARP, SHARP pains.

I get on a straight away and pull over immediately. Almost drop my bike I wanted to get my jacket off so bad.

Sure enough, I look down and not 1 but TWO GIANT, Texas sized white-faced hornets are crawling around on the INSIDE of my shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!

I crush the bastards and examine my right side. I have at least 9-10 giant welts on my side.

Anyone else have bee/hornet stories while riding? Figure it'd be a fun thread lol.
lol that's brutal man. I had a bad one last year.

SPOILER ALERT! I used to be somewhat squiddy gear-wise before I started posting here.

I was riding to Tucson last year wearing my helmet and not much else. Shorts, T-Shirt and Shoes. ALL THE SQUID ALL THE TIME ATSQAT for short.

Anyway a hornet flew right up the inside leg of my shorts and proceeded to find a nice cozy spot from which to sting my ass 5-6 times. I was doing like 90 when he hit and fortunately it was a straight road or I might have eaten it. As it is I instantly knew what had happen (I got stung 3 times last year alone on my bike) and just grabbed my ass as hard as I could crushing him to death. He fell out of my boxers an hour later when I arrived.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's terrible man!

I was sitting at a light about two years ago and noticed that a bee had taken interest in my very bright helmet. I ignored the little pest and waited for the light to turn green. What I didn't know is that this little bastard landed on me (in the hood of the jacket I was wearing underneath my riding jacket). I'm sure at least one of the cars at the light had to have watched this bee land on my jacket and I know that if I was in a cage and saw that I would probably laugh and continue driving. I leave that intersection and get onto the freeway, as soon as the wind started kicking up that little bastard stung me right on the back of my neck! I immediately grabbed the back of my neck and squished the thing (at this time still not knowing what it was) I looked at my glove and realized what had happened! Little prick of a bee.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts

I would go to your Dr.you could have a allergic reaction to those nasty little fuckers.
I was stung multiple times before by one of those big yellow and black bumble bees. Hurt like
hell.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yowch! Man, hope that gets better soon.
The only story I have was just a close call. I was sitting at a red light minding my own business when this bee comes buzzing by. I just figure okay, let's play it cool, don't start waving at it like a maniac, I've got my gear on.
Then he goes for my weak spot... the neck. Heck no! I hold up my hand and start trying to push it away and get a look at that sucker. I'm sure it looked pretty funny
happy ending the light turned green, I maneuvered around and left. Dumb bees.

Maybe its just me but Idk I feel like bugs like the bright green -_-

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
I was crusin down the street about 30mph with my visor open and a bee hit me on my cheek and fell inside the helmet. Out the corner of my eye I could see the fucker buzzing around tryna get up all pissed off. So I pulled over ASAP and removed the helmet and shook his little ass outta there. Scary stuffs for sure!

·
Registered
477 Posts
damn thats a lot of stings, I'm slightly allergic to bees and when i get stung i swell up. I got stung in the arm while riding a few hours way from home once. my arm swelled so much that it was hard to get my jacket back on. then while riding every time i moved my arm it felt like there was a gallon of water moving with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
on two different occasions i was riding along and there was a bee crawling around on the inside of my visor. i pulled over real quick and got them out. i now have a new helmet with a chin curtain and it hasn't happened since it scared the shit out of me when it did tho.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
riding down local main road. 50mph. had my shield up. next thing i know i felt a rock hit me in the face so i close my shield, then i feel sharp pains on my cheek. like "wow that rock hurt". then i feel it again and again and again.. pull over take off my helmet to find a wasp hanging onto my cheek and stinging me one last time as a big ol' fuck you buddy and flies off..

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I got stung by one that hit me right in the center of the neck in the tiny gap between the chin of my helmet and the jacket collar.

My buddy and I were cruising down the interstate about a mile or 2 from our exit just cruising along. All of a sudden he cranks it wide open and takes off, I figure he just wanted some speed on the last little bit of open road so I take off with him running like a bat out of hell, we go screaming up the ramp and he slides to a stop. He's ripping at his lid before he's even fully stopped, and I'm sitting there beside him laughing asking what the hell? I think he nearly ripped his ears off in the fastest helmet removal I've ever seen. He never got stung, but while we were cruising a wasp got sucked up under the front of his lid and was crawling around on the inside of his visor right at the tip of his nose.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha I appreciate the sympathy, guys. It was NOT fun.

Swelling has gone down with the proper application of ice and a liberal amount of beer.

The only thing I can think of was that I must have ridden through a small cloud of angry hornets who had their nest disturbed, otherwise I'd think it would be god damn near IMPOSSIBLE to have TWO of those fuckers get in there.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
man, that suuuucks!

In a related question though, where are you finding twisties near Houston?
Yeah, H-town is flat as a god damn pancake.

I was on 3090 right outside of Navasota, the only true "twisties" there are in the area.

If you haven't been and are near H-town I HIGHLY suggest you check out 3090!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I routinely ride with the visor open on my FF helmets. I wear eye protection as well, because of the multiple times I have 'ingested' critters that don't appreciate impacting my face.

I stopped wearing sunglasses for this, when I had a bee hit me right on the bridge of the nose. In between the wires holding the lenses.... the little so and so spattered, and ran into both of my eyes. That wasn't the worst of it, as the legs were still twitching and it kept doing that as it was in my eye.

Hitting a bee, and having that ricochet into the ear cup of your helmet when you're doing 60+ is no fun. After doing that a few times, you get to the point where you don't panic about it anymore, just make a smooth exit from traffic and get stopped so that you can get out of your gear and get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts