Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i am fitting a new chain and sprocket set to my zx6r j2.The problem is i cannot get the front sprocket nut off.I am using front and back brake and engaging engine in 1st gear while trying to loosen with 27mm socket and long bar.i no from manual that torque is 125nm but with all my strength i cannot loosen nut and i aint weak, has any1 had such problems or has any1 any tips to get nut off as it feels as if it will round rather than loosen!
ANY HELP APPRECIATED YADD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do not start the engine when doing this, I hope thats not what you mean by "engaging" the engine. You can cause serious damage to the engine this way. The book tells you to hold the rear brake and use a breaker bar to get the nut off, however this is kind of hard since the brake is on the opposite site of the bike. This is what I have done prevously. I wont use an impact gun either, most shops do but to me it laziness. Get a 2x4 to place it through the rear wheel and rest it on the swingarm. Keep the engine in neutral. 2x4 stops the rear wheel and wont damage anything. Now using a breaker bar, mine is 2.5 feet, slowly apply force and it should break free. Its on there tight, just put some muscle into it. If your still having issues, try a longer bar to get more leverage....Make sure you are using the correct size socket. A hardened steel socket works better than the regular ones...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the engine isnt running,i am just engaging 1st gear to help stop movement of sprocket.I am using a 2ft bar and socket but the nut is want to round rather than loosen!the socket is a halfords profesional!For the amount of torque loosening and tightening these nuts they should be a better grade!I will keep at it and hopefully get it loosened but i think i will have to renew as i will need to tighten again and i think it will round!
THANKS FOR REPLY
CHEERS YADD!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah dont round it over....that would be bad...you would then have to use a giant EZ out to get that off and not sure if that would even work. I wouldnt use the tranny either, might give you too much play and puts stress on it. You could try heat/cold....Do you have a small torch? Would have to be very careful that you dont melt any rubber bushings or o-rings. But it might work...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Put it in neutral, hit it with an air impact gun:) If yheel still usou need to hold the rear we a board though the spokes (not the transmission!), just take care that it doesn't damage something. A little penetrating oil couldn't hurt either. If all that fails grind it nearly to the threads on two sides then tap it around with a chisel, it should split apart, take care not to cut into the output shaft and don't get carried away with the hammer/chisel.

good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
can i make a suggestion, what i would do in this case is get urself a smallish chisel maybe 5-6" and thin, i would then really sharpen the end so it resembles a wood chisel end then carefully place on the edge and top and strike it sharply, what you are trying to do it cause a cut into the nut top edge so u can then get a good fix with the chisel and then over a few attempts when u can set the chisel ina nice gropve, give a really hard sharp tap and i think you will find that will break the tension free and it should come undone normally, u can do the same procedure but using a centre punch to make a good indentation and do the same procedure, i have done this a few times over the years on bikes boats old cars etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
An electric impact will also work.Stand on the right side of the bike put one foot on the the rear brake lever and lean over the bike and hit it with the impact.I don't believe there is locktite on it because it has the lock type washer.

·
Banned
35 Posts
try to go the other way first then back to what you are doing, it just needs a little break in the seal and then it will come off

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all reply's,i managed to get nut off.i bought a new socket 27mm socket today with walled sides which got a really good grip of nut.Gave the breaking bar a good jar and bingo it loosened.The problem was the standard socket,it was want to slip big time.Waiting for my chain riveter to get delivered(bought online)and i will be on the road again.Nearly finished bike now and will send in some pics soon
thanks again
CHEERS YADD!

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks for all reply's,i managed to get nut off.i bought a new socket 27mm socket today with walled sides which got a really good grip of nut.Gave the breaking bar a good jar and bingo it loosened.The problem was the standard socket,it was want to slip big time.Waiting for my chain riveter to get delivered(bought online)and i will be on the road again.Nearly finished bike now and will send in some pics soon
thanks again
CHEERS YADD!
Congrats! Always a satisfaction of doing it yourself!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts