Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reading through the latest bike mag, and to my shock horror the VicRoads is trying to introduce front plates for all bikes in Oz. Worse yet the riders will have to pay for it!! They say it will cost each rider between $70 & $150. For sports bikes like ours they say we will have to have our fairings drilled and such.

My opinion on the matter is that the whole thing is just to raise more money for the government. I mean think about it there are roughly about 550,000 bikes in Oz, with each of them having to pay at least $70, thats a whopping 38 milion dollars.

What does everybody else think about this idea??

:rant

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
they have been trying to bring front number plates in for years. Still wont have 1 on mine

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
They've been trying this in many Aussie states for a while haven't they? Highly doubt they will ever get it mandatory. We can always argue that it's highly dangerous to have such a sharp piece of metal just ready to get boomerganged at our face during an accident.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They've been trying this in many Aussie states for a while haven't they? Highly doubt they will ever get it mandatory. We can always argue that it's highly dangerous to have such a sharp piece of metal just ready to get boomerganged at our face during an accident.
Right you are there, however they are really talking about bringing it in. In the article I read they said that Vic Roads has put it into the courts and now they are just waiting to see if it gets approved or not. As far as the safety aspect goes thats our fighting point but Vic Roads are saying that without them they are losing too many speeding fines because for some stupid reason they are still taking photos from in front and not behind.

In the article it said that all riders should write to their local member and explain why we shouldn't have them, the main reason been that they are leathal when flying through the air at 100 km/ph, and they will wreck the look of our bikes.

I'm going to write a letter, so I'm asking that every aussie on Ninja6Zone should do to. That way we can keep it like it is!! :rant

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
The plates have to be light up too at night time and we would also have to have plate lights too! SUX even more

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Front plates aren't illuminated.

The Vic Govt has spent millions developing the technology. Once it's perfected they'll sell it world wide :crazy There's only two or three countries in the world that require front plates (India and Singapore I think are two of them).

I guess we'll have to start paying city link tolls in Melb too. They shoot head on and at the moment it's free (East-link must be going to shoot from behind as they're charging bikes 1/2 car rate to use it when it opens).

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
talking to a guy at work today that moved over form SA says the cops have front number plates on there bikes but they are stickers not actual metal plates! still gotta look like crap to me!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I remember reading something about the SA bike cops putting homemade cardboard front numberplates on their cop bikes to show their support of the idea and someone complained to the transport minister or something.

It's an offence to use non official issued plates, so thy had to take them off or be fined :laugh

I doubt it will do any good, if the man wants front plates, the man will get front plates but here's a petition if you think they'll listen http://www.gopetition.com.au/online/16944.html

·
Registered
316 Posts
We had fornt number plates many moons ago, they were removed for the sake of safety, I would have thought it highly unlikely they would ever re introduce them

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah number plates used to run down the length of the front mudguard, great safety idea, slice up a pedestrian.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
At least you guys get to use some toll roads without paying...

We have to pay them all... :rant
How do they nab you if you don't pay?

Even if they wanted to get us on any of the city links, they can't because they shoot the front.

Are your's shooting you up the arse?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah over here in SA the cops have now got the sticker type number plates ont he front of there bikes (on there screens)
im NOT going to pay for them to drill into my fairings

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
nope just wont get it put on
I'm guessing if it goes through there will be a zero tolerance policy forever. You wont be able to afford the fines and points for long :laugh

Why run a rear one, throw it away tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts