Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the nissin master cylinder from a 2009 zx6r directly swaps over to a 2008 zx6r? plug and play? Or is the brake light wiring different?

I've searched everywhere on the internet and I've looked through the matter parts list here on zx6r forum and I haven't been able to find an answer

On a side note, does the rear Brembo caliper from motomummy.com Bolt right up also? Its a 32mm caliper

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
229 Posts
The front master cylinder is the same from 07-12, maybe even the newer ones too. Same levers as well.

You can also swap it over to the 05-06, just have to swap the brake light switch and get a new lever.

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
I have a 19x18 on my 05. It is like sex for your brake finger. To do the swap you will need:
New hose from res to mc
Banjo bolt brake light switch
An 11 mm wrench (brembo only)
Solder, soldering iron, shrink tube, and connectors.

You may also want:
A vaccume bleeder
Stands
Smokables of your choosing.

Process:
Drain all the fluid you can. Brake fluid eats... Well everything.
Pull the old mc and disconnect brake light cable.
If not using a front brake light switch (not recommended for street but surprisingly legal) just put the new mc on and bleed till you're good
Otherwise solder on the connectors and rig up the banjo bolt switch.
Pm me if interested and ill throw up what/how I did it.

As for will the switch work.
Switches don't care which side is hot or cold. Ie it does not matter as long as you can close the circuit.

Below please find people telling you I am wrong and don't know what I am talking about.
Ey3

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
As stated above, the 07-12 Nissin MC are all the same model and have a 16mm internal piston. The 05-06 model, like the 07-12, is a Nissin radial MC but runs a smaller 14mm internal piston. All previous models run an antiquated non radial design. Cant speak to the 13-14 MC, but am fairly confident it is the same as the 07-12. I do know that the 13-14 runs monoblock calipers which is an upgrade over earlier two piece units.

I just installed an 07 MC and calipers on my 06 and they feel amazing. I havent had a chance to test ride yet due to an injury, but the lever feels shorter and crisper and the engagement and release seems smoother.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the super fast responses!

I unfortunately had a low side last season that somehow destroyed my master cylinder and rear caliper... I thought that the newer ones were all the same but wasn't 100% sure.

Dealing with the brembo rear caliper it has 84mm mounting centers (Idk if its a direct bolt on)
https://www.motomummy.com/brake-calipers/brembo-32mm-rear-caliper/

I added a link to the caliper if that helps

Thanks once again!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Why not just grab a used stock rear caliper on eBay or something? No point upgrading the rear caliper, unless you really want it for stunting.

As stated above, the 07-12 Nissin MC are all the same model and have a 16mm internal piston. The 05-06 model, like the 07-12, is a Nissin radial MC but runs a smaller 14mm internal piston.
05/06 is actually a larger 3/4 bore, or 19mm. It's stamped on the underside.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Why would you buy a brembo rear brake? Who uses the rear brake anyways?

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
My rear is mostly for turning the light on till my order comes in for the switch.
Ey3

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean stopping is for quitters I guess

The only reason why I hadn't purchased a caliper of of ebay was because all of them appeared rusted or scratched up. I have a perfectly non functional one at home and didn't feel the need to purchase another lol

I'll give ebay another shot and hopefully there is a good one that I can snatch up.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Rear brake is just a formality to get past laws. Nobody uses that shit except stunters.

But seriously, you could find a used one off a part out bike on here or ebay in decent shape for like $30 haha

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have a 19x18 on my 05. It is like sex for your brake finger. To do the swap you will need:
New hose from res to mc
Banjo bolt brake light switch
An 11 mm wrench (brembo only)
Solder, soldering iron, shrink tube, and connectors.

You may also want:
A vaccume bleeder
Stands
Smokables of your choosing.

Process:
Drain all the fluid you can. Brake fluid eats... Well everything.
Pull the old mc and disconnect brake light cable.
If not using a front brake light switch (not recommended for street but surprisingly legal) just put the new mc on and bleed till you're good
Otherwise solder on the connectors and rig up the banjo bolt switch.
Pm me if interested and ill throw up what/how I did it.

As for will the switch work.
Switches don't care which side is hot or cold. Ie it does not matter as long as you can close the circuit.

Below please find people telling you I am wrong and don't know what I am talking about.
Ey3
what do you mean by rig up the banjo bolt switch? i'm about to do this as soon as I can find a master cylinder from an 07-12 model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts