Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how often should you change the oil in the front forks? Is it a simple job?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Don't really know mate, however it should say in your manuel. I would say it is a fairly involved job, but if your good with that sort of thing you might find it easy.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt get a manual with the bike cos its a older 98 zx6. Just wondering thats all

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Arron depends what sort of climate u ride.Higher humidity causes water in ur fluids.If ur unsure of the history of the bike wouldn't hurt to do it any way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Arron,I changed the fork seals and oil,on my 1996 zx6r Basically it just involves undoing the bottom allen key with a RATTLE GUN,then the two parts seperate, I went to the local engine reconditioners and asked them to loosen it for me, the bolt connects to the top cap rebound adjusters..If you have a vice and some drifts the right diametre it should take less than 1 hour,once the forks are removed..

·
Registered
900 Posts
Depending on use about every 2 years, very few people do it that soon though. Oil goes off and stinks awful if left too long.

Reactions: Crashz28

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Go to www.haynes.com and order one mate.
:bitchslap

Go to the "File Vault" at the top of the page and download the "real" factory manual :devious

And if you feel like riding to Bacchus Marsh one Sunny Sunday afternoon, sing out, and I might just do it for you:))

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for the help and steve-_tls, thanks for the offer.. Just might take you up on tthe offer 1 day.. How do ya tell if the oil has gone off or water in the oil? What kinda oil does everyone use?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Us mortals probably don't know until we get new fluid.

I doubt there will be much moisture in it though.

I generally use Shell synthetic, weight depends on the application.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fork Oil Change

Changing fork oil is as important or more important than changing the engine oil. Most racers change it every race to get repetitive feel. I change mine yearly with the oil.

Dale Williams
Amsoil Dealer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts