Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I hope someone can help me out/point me in the right direction. I installed new shorty levers and as I was riding afterwards, my front brake felt pretty stiff and I assumed it was because it was a shorter lever so I would have to pull it in less for the brake to engage fully. After about 30mins of riding, I noticed my front brake get even stiffer and eventually I did a partial stoppie and the front brake seized up. Now I believe it was probably due to the new brake lever because I pulled out my bikes tool kit on the road (luckily there wasn't much traffic as this was at night) and took apart the brake lever. Once I yanked it out the front brake relaxed again but what I noticed was the pin from the MC was stuck in my brake lever and now I'm not too sure if it's supposed to be a snug fit in there like that or is it supposed to move freely?

I will also just install the stock levers back but if someone can tell me how to install the MC pin back into that handlebar cluster that would be awesome! I tried to put it back in but it kind of just moved around freely within the rubber gromet? Not too sure how it's supposed to be in there, any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
This was a common problem with people installing new aftermarket brake levers before. They would not seat the plunger on the master cylinder correctly. This would cause the brake pads to extend slightly and rub on the rotors the whole time. The constant friction would heat up the pads and the brake fluid will build up pressure from the heat, eventually locking up the brakes completely.

There are a few good threads on it. This one explains it pretty good and the 2nd page even has a picture of what the issue usually turned out to be. Give it a read: 06 636 front brakes locking up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was a common problem with people installing new aftermarket brake levers before. They would not seat the plunger on the master cylinder correctly. This would cause the brake pads to extend slightly and rub on the rotors the whole time. The constant friction would heat up the pads and the brake fluid will build up pressure from the heat, eventually locking up the brakes completely.

There are a few good threads on it. This one explains it pretty good and the 2nd page even has a picture of what the issue usually turned out to be. Give it a read: 06 636 front brakes locking up
I really appreciate it brotha! Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the thing with mine is that the plunger actually popped out of the assembly..

so I’m wonder how do I insert it back in? Is there a certain way?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this EXACT THING happening on my bike about 3 months after I bought it..

Brakes would completely lock up in the front and it was terrifying to be stopped dead in misty morning traffic in the middle of the lane..

When through a LOT of forums looking for answers. A LOT of guys on the GSXR forums were reporting the same thing..

The common denominator was shorty levers.. the metal actually warps from the heat build up in the brakes and the only way I completely got rid of it was putting OEM levers back on.

Although I'm sure a high quality lever probably wouldn't be as susceptible to this .. as I'd like to go back to the shorty levers soon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oddly, I saw a SportBikeTrackGear video on this exact thing yesterday. Not sure when it was made but pretty odd timing.
Hope you got it resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I did get it resolved. It was because the hole for the MC Pin in the new lever was just a bit too small so the pin got jammed in there. I installed the stock lever and its been working fine!

thanks,

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
The common denominator was shorty levers.. the metal actually warps from the heat build up in the brakes and the only way I completely got rid of it was putting OEM levers back on.

Although I'm sure a high quality lever probably wouldn't be as susceptible to this .. as I'd like to go back to the shorty levers soon.
Shorty levers isn't the problem. The problem is poor quality/incorrectly manufactured levers (shorty or regular length). Get a set of levers from a reputable manufacturer, and you won't have any issues.

I've been using ASV C5 shorty levers for several years, and they are really good! (They also have a less expensive F3 option.)

Here is a link to their site: https://asvinventions.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts