Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody, the technical expertise I get from this forum has been second to none so I figured I would post here.

I've been seeing tons of advertisements for these Front Brake Lever Anti-Theft Devices.

My concern is what, if any, possible damage can this cause to the brake systems? I feel like keeping the braking system under constant pressure would damage it, especially the master cylinder. Kind of like keeping a bike's forks compressed in the back of a trailer for a long period of time.

Is this a legit concern?

EDIT: The below picture is for a clutch ? ? ? Ignore that fact, I just wanted to post a picture so people would get a visual of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Director of Moderation
10,125 Posts
1. It is not the same thing as keeping forks compressed. In that case you're compressing mechanical springs, where as this is hydraulic pressure. It doesn't damage anything. I do this all the time with a zip-tie in my garage because it helps to bleed air from the system and gives a better feel of the brake temporarily. I leave it over 1 or 2 days, except for I squeeze the shit out of it. For anti-theft purposes you wouldn't even have to do that, just a light squeeze would be enough to move the pads snug against the rotor making it pretty much impossible to roll the wheel without increasing the pressure in the system by too much.

2. Why do they have it on the clutch lever in the pictures below?? lol How is that helpful? I mean sure you couldn't ride it anywhere, but it would be just as easy to roll around and steal it lol.

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,401 Posts
I don't have a lot of faith in something like that.. pretty easy to cut the line and roll it lol. Someone who's there to steal it isn't going to be deterred by that little issue IMO

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't have a lot of faith in something like that.. pretty easy to cut the line and roll it lol. Someone who's there to steal it isn't going to be deterred by that little issue IMO
True, but I don't think there's much a person could do to deter those fully committed to theft. Most anti-theft measures will at best keep the "honest" thieves honest. Reduces the chances of just being a target of opportunity.

That is the biggest reason I keep full coverage on mine. If it gets stolen, maybe I can't fully replace it, but at least I won't be out everything.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Anything can be stolen by those who are determined enough...

This is simply a deterrant for the would be thief to move along to an easier target....
unless they chose to remove the lever bolt, cut the lever, cut the lines, would all be pretty fast and easy to repair later

but I suspect they would simply move along to an easier target over the added time and energy this would take........ unless they are really determined
That fastest theft is always, just two guys in a pick up (trailer or not)- back up the intended target, lift it into the back of the truck/trailer and drive away... I do not see this even slowing that process down- it may actually help since the front wheel would not rotate when they use it as a grab point

Reactions: PainfullySlo

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,401 Posts
Yeah, it would actually make the truck method easier lol. Best thing you can do is keep the bike in sight IMO. Maybe an alarm for when it's close but out of sight. I don't ride my bike anywhere unless I can see it from where I am.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. It is not the same thing as keeping forks compressed. In that case you're compressing mechanical springs, where as this is hydraulic pressure. It doesn't damage anything. I do this all the time with a zip-tie in my garage because it helps to bleed air from the system and gives a better feel of the brake temporarily. I leave it over 1 or 2 days, except for I squeeze the shit out of it. For anti-theft purposes you wouldn't even have to do that, just a light squeeze would be enough to move the pads snug against the rotor making it pretty much impossible to roll the wheel without increasing the pressure in the system by too much.

2. Why do they have it on the clutch lever in the pictures below?? lol How is that helpful? I mean sure you couldn't ride it anywhere, but it would be just as easy to roll around and steal it lol.
Yes! I've done the zip tie method as well, but I meant more for like every night for the period of months/years. I'm not exactly sure how the internals of the brake calipers and masters work, so not sure how resilient they are to this type of constant pressure.

As for the clutch picture, just small oversight on my part. I literally just posted first image I could find so people would know what I was talking about.

That's a good point! But a lot of thieves here are breaking the fork locks and hot wiring the ZX6Rs and presumably driving off with them. (We know this because A lot of my friends get their bikes back because the bikes are dumped back on the street after fairing removal.) So I presume cutting the brake lines would be less than ideal.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anything can be stolen by those who are determined enough...

This is simply a deterrant for the would be thief to move along to an easier target....
unless they chose to remove the lever bolt, cut the lever, cut the lines, would all be pretty fast and easy to repair later

but I suspect they would simply move along to an easier target over the added time and energy this would take........ unless they are really determined
That fastest theft is always, just two guys in a pick up (trailer or not)- back up the intended target, lift it into the back of the truck/trailer and drive away... I do not see this even slowing that process down- it may actually help since the front wheel would not rotate when they use it as a grab point
Great point Riverszzr! How about your opinion on the damage to the brake system these can do? Any concern on any master cylinder or brake caliper components? You're probably the smartest guy on here!

·
Director of Moderation
10,125 Posts
Yes! I've done the zip tie method as well, but I meant more for like every night for the period of months/years. I'm not exactly sure how the internals of the brake calipers and masters work, so not sure how resilient they are to this type of constant pressure.

As for the clutch picture, just small oversight on my part. I literally just posted first image I could find so people would know what I was talking about.
They can handle it just fine. It's just static pressure and it's not much. Cycling pressure is much harder on seals than a constant pressure.

I still think best thing to do is to put an alarm on and connect a self-destructing explosive device to the bike that's controlled by your phone. As soon as they drive off with it, blow that sucker up! You get insurance money, they get burned...literally! :devilish

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They can handle it just fine. It's just static pressure and it's not much. Cycling pressure is much harder on seals than a constant pressure.

I still think best thing to do is to put an alarm on and connect a self-destructing explosive device to the bike that's controlled by your phone. As soon as they drive off with it, blow that sucker up! You get insurance money, they get burned...literally! :devilish
Thanks for the insight and hahahahahaha.

I was just genuinely curious about these. I don't have much need for anti-theft. My bike is garage kept behind my car and as a track rider and canyon carver, it's never really kept unattended for long in any sketchy areas. So I'm definitely on the lower spectrum of chance of bike theft. But who knows, if I came across a cheap one, might not be a bad investment for the very few times I do take it out at night or somewhere shady.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I do not see the constant pressure on the braking system hydraulics causing any damage.

I have had bikes with the lever zip tied for months on end without issue

·
Registered
805 Posts

This or a wrench on one of the bleeders, bike is rolling away in seconds.

To remove a brake disc lock they would at least have to bring something fairly large.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I mentioned you can easily defeat this on a Facebook ad for this product by opening the bleed screw.

As for seals, putting them under pressure for a long time under a static load will have little to no effect. Friction and cyclic loads are much more damaging. At worst you're going to see a very mild thermal cycling on the seals as temps rise and fall daily, but from my experience unless your cycling between minus 40 and 85c, you're unlikely to see issues here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts