Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You guys ever have (front) brake fluid try to find its way out of the reservoir cap? (filled and after a short period the reservoir is low). Would the brakes possibly need to be bled? I'll ride and find some fluid on the outside of the reservoir, like the top wasnt screwed down enough or somethin. maybe just a new cap would do?

Also, #2, you guys ever have any problems with gas running rich? seems like its spitting gas out of the exhaust when rev'd while on the stand in neutral. i dont do this too often, as its pointless, but is this weird?

NOTE: no major mods (as in stock exhaust and no fuel mgmt).

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
You guys ever have (front) brake fluid try to find its way out of the reservoir cap? (filled and after a short period the reservoir is low). Would the brakes possibly need to be bled? I'll ride and find some fluid on the outside of the reservoir, like the top wasnt screwed down enough or somethin. maybe just a new cap would do?

Also, #2, you guys ever have any problems with gas running rich? seems like its spitting gas out of the exhaust when rev'd while on the stand in neutral. i dont do this too often, as its pointless, but is this weird?

NOTE: no major mods (as in stock exhaust and no fuel mgmt).
Check the seal on the reservoir cap. Maybe it is worn and fluid is leaking out from there. Also check the front and rear calipers, the master cylinder at the rear brake and front brake levers. Look for wetness. :devious you should be good at finding that. :laugh if it is wet that is a possible leak. Also if your ride is running too rich you would see a lot of black smoke, usually more times than not condensation is what comes out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the seal on the reservoir cap. Maybe it is worn and fluid is leaking out from there. Also check the front and rear calipers, the master cylinder at the rear brake and front brake levers. Look for wetness. :devious you should be good at finding that. :laugh if it is wet that is a possible leak. Also if your ride is running too rich you would see a lot of black smoke, usually more times than not condensation is what comes out of the exhaust.
Only wetness found is where the fluid drips belie reservoir onto frame and tank (from wind)... Baby's dry on all brakes hoses and calipers. Maybe she's preggo? Ohhh i knew this would happen sooner or later.... : (

Btw, no smoke of any kind noticed.

Also, grtting ALOT of compliments on the Tire Penz tread paint job i did, about 5 or so friends have already ordered their own : ) TRENDSETTER. Only thing left to do is paint a set of tires from YOU lol

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll order a new one then

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
On the rich and spitting gas out the pipe while on the stands..... this will happen when the motor is not up to temp -- the cat hasn't heated up enough to work, and the engine is dumping more fuel into the cylinders while the motor is below operating temp... it can be a mixture of fuel, and whatever moisture is trapped in the exhaust since the last time you ran the bike.

If the bike does not smoke, or have a LOT of fuel smell in the exhaust after it's warmed up, I don't think I'd be too excited about it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the rich and spitting gas out... it can be a mixture of fuel, and whatever moisture is trapped in the exhaust since the last time you ran the bike ... If the bike does not smoke, or have a LOT of fuel smell in the exhaust after it's warmed up, I don't think I'd be too excited about it.
Awesome, didnt even consider moisture. good deal, i feel confident youre 100% right, brah, thanks.

Now if only i can figure out how find the wetness... :devious

Damnit Alex, now i'm subconscious about it... hell, my new gf is already jealous i say the L word to my mistress (the bike) and not her... however, i just call my stunt bike a slut cause i'll let anyone ride her, and she's super-slippery when wet

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
If you are losing brake fluid, and finding parts below the reservoir wet, I would be concerned with the fluid trashing your painted surfaces, or plastics.

One thing I have heard as a good way to neutralize the fluid is dilute the spilled stuff with water ASAP. If it doesn't have time to penetrate under the paint, and gets washed away you may be able to prevent an expensive/ugly situation.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are losing brake fluid, and finding parts below the reservoir wet, I would be concerned with the fluid trashing your painted surfaces, or plastics.

One thing I have heard as a good way to neutralize the fluid is dilute the spilled stuff with water ASAP. If it doesn't have time to penetrate under the paint, and gets washed away you may be able to prevent an expensive/ugly situation.
... damn you. now i have to think about that for the next 4 hours until im off work

·
Registered
100 Posts
After bleeding my front brakes one time I put the rubber seal on the wrong way and screwed my cap on and that caused a minor leak. I found the issue and addressed it the same day. That might be the easiest solution. As for the brake fluid causing paint damage, mine had some drops around the front end but was easily cleaned with some soapy water I wouldn't be too concerned. I've heard the dot 4 doesn't ruin painted surfaces like the other types of brake fluid. I'm no expert though just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it's a good thing I'm using dot 4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts