Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have removed the butterflies today. Did not have time to test it hard as it should. Just made few stripes on a local road and I can tell the difference. A lot stronger lows and mids. The bike felt a lot more alive. Love this, no need to drink coffee while I pass 6K :D deffinitely butterflies stay off. Had some pops on decel but will do the smog mod and most probably this will go away. I really dont think it is running lean...

p.s. Removal was easy. Just put the screwdriver bit it self in the nut's head and knock it with the handle of the screwdriver or some hard iron. Then lock the handle and the bit and loose. It will easily loose.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I have removed the butterflies today. Did not have time to test it hard as it should. Just made few stripes on a local road and I can tell the difference. A lot stronger lows and mids. The bike felt a lot more alive. Love this, no need to drink coffee while I pass 6K :D deffinitely butterflies stay off. Had some pops on decel but will do the smog mod and most probably this will go away. I really dont think it is running lean...

p.s. Removal was easy. Just put the screwdriver bit it self in the nut's head and knock it with the handle of the screwdriver or some hard iron. Then lock the handle and the bit and loose. It will easily loose.
told ya man you would love that mod :devious thats the 1st thing i noticed when i pulled my flies was the low/mid range came alive hell thats the 1st mod i do to all my bikes lol.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Lows make more sound now, but you don't have the power you did without adjusting the fuel. Shlevy, what's your email address? I'll send you the map I'm running, got it from JD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know which oem part number is the short velocity stack ?

Is it:
14073-0077
or
14073-0081

Easier to find a site for OEM parts than to find used parts for some odd reason...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I'm going to sorta answer this myself. But someone help me who is more knowledgeable!

14073-0077 should be the short one because there on the sides
14073-0081 should be the tall ones because there in the middle ?

Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 2005 ZX636-C1 Ninja ZX-6R AIR CLEANER Diagram
Yes, the shorter ones are on the outside. You'll need two of them. Use them to replace the tall ones in the middle and then some silicone sealant to reseal on the top. There's a tab you fit it in too, so it's pretty hard to mess this one up. Just needs some elbow grease to get it out and then the short ones back in. You'll be alright. I bought mine from Kawi Parts house or Bike Bandit I think...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am just wondering.... Is there really any gains from this? I maen stock short stacks (2x$10 rubber) vs. Factory Pro short stacks (~$200 aliminium...?)... If the gains are the same with both... I do prefer the cheapest ones... lol

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
I am just wondering.... Is there really any gains from this? I maen stock short stacks (2x$10 rubber) vs. Factory Pro short stacks (~$200 aliminium...?)... If the gains are the same with both... I do prefer the cheapest ones... lol
you want see any difference between the oem short stacks vs the expensive factory pro ones... save that money and spend it some where else man.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks guys! Buying these after work today.

Would all 05s and 06s have to do the Kleeen Air Mod? I thought bikes on the west coast would have them more so then on the east coast.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·

Would all 05s and 06s have to do the Kleeen Air Mod? I thought bikes on the west coast would have them more so then on the east coast.
yea you will need to do the kleen air mod to get rid of the AIS smog pump on both standard and cali models.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Not enough reason to buy the Factory Pro ones in my opinion. That have newer fancy ones that actually change length as you ride. Those Factory Pro ones are just aluminum vs rubber. Someone would be hard pressed to prove a significant gain over the rubber ones. Besides you are essentially just gaining some top end at the expense of the lower end.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

It's not just 05/06. Nearly all recent model bikes can benefit from it. My '81 KZ650 had a Kleen valve, which I removed.

Kleen Air and emissions stuff aren't the same thing, even though they're a bit related. East coast bikes don't have emissions stuff, or a carbon canister. Kleen removes the air injection valve that allows fresh air to enter the exhaust to help burn off any excess fuel.

As for the rubber vs aluminum tubes, the only difference is temperature. The aluminum dissipates heat absorbed from the engine more readily than the rubber does. We're talking maybe a degree or few. No tangible difference.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Only one i could find was the KLEEN air mod.

I think i can figure out Ram Air mod- but what do people use to plug the hole?

The rest i cant find!

Mine is a 05 though.
The Kleen air mod is pretty straight forward all you doin is removing the emission crap off the bike. wat i did was run piece of hose from one reed valve to the other plug the hole on the airbox where the hose runs to thats it. you can remove the sec flies also which is free with benefits i can help you with this also.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Best mod for the 05 is the jumper mod. Just use the search tool it'll be right on top

Reactions: 05Bblack6r
181 - 200 of 236 Posts