Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys here is a list of mods i put together that i have done to my 04 636 that will improve the performance and power for all the 03-06 636's. if anybody has any questions feel free to ask and i will try and answer them the best way possible.

1. KLEEN Air mod - where you reroute the pair valve breather located on top of the valve cover to the crankcase breather, plug all vacum ports on the airbox so it will let you pressurize the airbox, also gets rid of the popping & backfireing you hear thats most common with a aftermarket exhaust system & helps smooth out the throttle through out the entire rpm range

2. Ram Air mod - consist of removeing the resonator located underneath the ram air tube, you want to plug the hole back, this allows for the air to enter through a straight path without disturbing the airflow

3. Airbox mod - consist of removeing the dirvertor thats locate inside the airbox in the middle, you will need to drill out the 2 holes that holds the dirvertor inside, plug both holes back up, this "unrestricts" the air flow path to the throttle bodies given it a more staright flow, good for more top end power

4. Velocity Stacks - remove the 2 "tall" oem stacks in the middle for 2 "short" oem v stacks, this way you will be runnin all 4 short, good for more mid-top end power & thats where our motors like to be

5. Secondary flies removed - this consist of you takin the top airbox lid off when you look down inside the throttle bodies the 1st set of flies you see you want to remove them, make sure you dont let the lil screws fall down off inside the throttle bodies/motor best to use a magnetic screwdriver when removeing it prevents this of happen, this mod is good for more mid-top end power & better throttle responce

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
I'll play devils advocate here;
Did you do baseline dyno runs and then do a mod and verify that it actually did improve performance on your changes, or is this just your thoughts?
Say before and after of your airbox mod?
Before and after of your velocity stack hieght change?
Before and after of removing the resonator in the airbox inlet?

Also-Kawasaki does sell solid dowel pins to replace the hollow ones that fit under the valve cover and allow air to pass from the "KLEEN" into the exhuast port-you can find the part number in their race parts-they will fit almost any kawi.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
they all will do something but each on there own will have little but all will make a nice change.. just try some and see if you can tell the difference

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll play devils advocate here;
Did you do baseline dyno runs and then do a mod and verify that it actually did improve performance on your changes, or is this just your thoughts?
Say before and after of your airbox mod?
Before and after of your velocity stack hieght change?
Before and after of removing the resonator in the airbox inlet?

Also-Kawasaki does sell solid dowel pins to replace the hollow ones that fit under the valve cover and allow air to pass from the "KLEEN" into the exhuast port-you can find the part number in their race parts-they will fit almost any kawi.
dude to dyno before and after each mod would be really expensive but i did have the bike dyno tune with all these mods along with a full exhaust done to my 04 636 and it put down 120rwhp.

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
they all will do something but each on there own will have little but all will make a nice change.. just try some and see if you can tell the difference
^ placebo effect?

The only true way to verify if anything has actually made an improvement is with a baseline and then an after run under controlled conditions.

I have a dyno and have done thorough testing on hundreds of bikes- I just want to know what the OP did to verify if anything he is suggesting actually made a real repeatable and verifiable improvement.

"i did have the bike dyno tune with all these mods along with a full exhaust done to my 04 636 and it put down 120rwhp." So what was your baseline number?-120 means nothing without a comparitive figure. What are other bikes making on that same dyno?

"

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ placebo effect?

The only true way to verify if anything has actually made an improvement is with a baseline and then an after run under controlled conditions.

I have a dyno and have done thorough testing on hundreds of bikes- I just want to know what the OP did to verify if anything he is suggesting actually made a real repeatable and verifiable improvement.

"i did have the bike dyno tune with all these mods along with a full exhaust done to my 04 636 and it put down 120rwhp." So what was your baseline number?-120 means nothing without a comparitive figure. What are other bikes making on that same dyno?

"
i have access to a dyno also but like i said before dyno time cost money but ive did enough testing on this bike to no wat works and wat doesnt, if you have a 03-06 zx6r and would like to try any of these mods feel free too and let us know wat you think.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did the jumper mod. Works great

I removed the sec flies. Works great

I didnt do the same as u for the velocity stacks, but i did put aftermarket ones on. Works great.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the jumper mod. Works great

I removed the sec flies. Works great

I didnt do the same as u for the velocity stacks, but i did put aftermarket ones on. Works great.
x2 on the flies. loved the throttle responce it gave with them out and changing the v stacks to all 4 short is a very good mod to do. alot cheaper than buying the ones from factory pro and do just the same.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yeah about 200 dollars cheaper at that. i had a gift card to use up at the time :)

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
Knerona-has the best answer here.

AAron and ZXRACER, my point was and still is, where is the proof of what these changes will actually do for improvements. I am not saying they don't work-I am playing devils advocate because it is so easy for anyone to say "I fealt a big difference" when all too often there really isn't one, quite often the mods people do make there bikes even less powerful where you use it in everyday riding-but.....( a prime example is loosing midrange performance and then feeling a "hit" at say 10,000 rpm's that wasn't there before and thinking wow look at the performance improvement....when in actuality it was a performance loss)

ZX I actually own a dyno-so other than time costs and actual electrical usage it is free to me, and since you have access, I assume you work somewhere who has one, so dyno time for you should be free/cheap...unless you just mean someplace close to you will run your bike for you? And most dyno facilities have some day where they run bikes for $20 a run or some such "promotional bullshit". I do as does nearly ever place with a dyno near me.

I have done testing of many "mods" on many different bikes and some of these mods actually don't help, they actaully loose performance (much like the example I gave above), while others actaully do make improvements-some more noticeable than others.
The ZX6 jumper mod is certainly one of those that actually gives the most noticeable of gains without sacrificing performance in the midrange-that would be tops on the list for an actual "free" mod that actually works and benefits you.

ZX-what was your dyno numbeer before any of those mods??

·
Registered
425 Posts
Riverzzr is right you need to have a point of reference . i did the secondry flies removal and im sure that if i didnt have the advancer on the bike it woulod suffer too much coming out of slow bends so where that would maybe be a good mod for the 1/4 mile it wouldnt be so great for the cucuit in my opinion as its exactly as riverzzr said what happens is the bike power comes like a switch low end you have no power then when power comes on you feel that its a lot

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Riverzzr is right you need to have a point of reference . i did the secondry flies removal and im sure that if i didnt have the advancer on the bike it woulod suffer too much coming out of slow bends so where that would maybe be a good mod for the 1/4 mile it wouldnt be so great for the cucuit in my opinion as its exactly as riverzzr said what happens is the bike power comes like a switch low end you have no power then when power comes on you feel that its a lot
if you look and read very carefully i fully describe wat each mod will do. these mods are not just for racing these mods can be applied to a everyday commute bike and still see benefits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
More air, more bang. It's as simple as that.

Anyone who wants to try and contest that needs to remind themselves of the physics of an internal combustion engine :idea:

·
Registered
425 Posts
More air, more bang. It's as simple as that.

Anyone who wants to try and contest that needs to remind themselves of the physics of an internal combustion engine :idea:
No in fact its not as simple as that you have to see the flow and other things ,if you make holes bigger to flow more air its gona flow yes but slower flow ihic is not always better check the motoman on the net and see for yourself

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No in fact its not as simple as that you have to see the flow and other things ,if you make holes bigger to flow more air its gona flow yes but slower flow ihic is not always better check the motoman on the net and see for yourself
why do you think it will flow slower air ?

1 - 20 of 236 Posts