Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking into buying a project bike off someone but there are a few frame welds that threw me off that he is claiming are factory and the bike has never been wrecked,which,it has a clean title so I'm thinking about giving him benefit of doubt but I want to see if any of you know if the welds are suppose to be there or not. She is an older bike so hopefully someone here knows about it. But it is a 1989 ZX6.

Now I know it has more problems than the welds lol it is a project bike but if them are not factory welds then the reason they are there that I could think of is it had been rear ended and frame bent and fixed at home to keep insurance from knowing because it still has clean title and frankly I dont want an at home weld breaking and killing me running down highway. So could someone confirm if this is factory or not for me please?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Man, I wouldn't even consider paying $200 for that thing, he has it so jigged up... Look for a 95 and up zx6 in rough condition if you wanna have a project bike, but make sure they don't have any shifting issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I wouldn't even consider paying $200 for that thing, he has it so jigged up... Look for a 95 and up zx6 in rough condition if you wanna have a project bike, but make sure they don't have any shifting issues.
It's actually going for 300 because the motor and all are in good shape including plastics. He has entire bike I just only posted pictures of it tore down to see the frame welds.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Are you sure those are welds? It looks to me like it's just where the seat sits on the frame and has worn through the paint a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure those are welds? It looks to me like it's just where the seat sits on the frame and has worn through the paint a bit.
From pics I didn't think they were welds either but another person in my household told me they are welds and I asked they guy selling it and he confirmed they are welds. So I am hoping the guy that is selling it can tell if they are welds or not..

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I buddy of mine got one alot like that for $50 and 3k miles, needs some tlc but an amazing steal, ive been harassing him to sell it to me for $100 lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I buddy of mine got one alot like that for $50 and 3k miles, needs some tlc but an amazing steal, ive been harassing him to sell it to me for $100 lol
Nice deal! If possible, If it is like it in year could you possibly see if his has same wear on the frame? If you could I would be very thankful!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm with you on this one. The seat brackets can even rub slight grooves at times which I guess could possibly be mistaken for a weld by some? :O

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks like paint rubbed off. Most welds stick up if for some reason they were ground down flush. Don't really see why it would be welded there. If you were thinking it was wrecked hard enough to snap the metal that would be quite a impact and the be gone. Nice foot btw

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If it was wrecked and welded in those spots you would know from major deformities in the subframe, unless someone has some serious skill in jig making and welding to get it incredibly straight. Those are really unusual spots for the subframe to break unless it was in one hell of a crash

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks to me that its the seat rubber pressure points, look on the bottom of the seat to check it out. even if it has been welded there, its not in a position that's under any strain and unlikely to break whilst you are riding....
looks like a solid bike mate (for the price)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I'm with the older guys on this one.... that's wear and tear, rather than a repair. As it's the subframe supporting the seat and not the main frame supporting the motor and suspension, it's less critical, regardless.

Cheap in, is often expensive out. In this case I think you could probably drop $3-500 in parts into it, and twice that in labor and have a reasonably reliable bike. I certainly would not worry about cosmetic stuff, until I knew I had the running gear, and the electricals sorted.

This thing should have all the bearings inspected/repacked, suspension serviced, brakes rebuilt, new battery, tires, all the filters before I even thought about washing the plastics off.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feed back guys I haven't seen it in person yet just pictures and what the guys says. With everything you guys have told me I'll go check it out in person and if I get it I'll keep y'all updated on my restoration process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts