Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it may be a good investment to have some frame sliders installed on my ZX6R. The dealer said it would cost me around $200 for the sliders and installation. There is some slight cutting involved on the sides in order to attach the slider to the frame and I rather not do that myself. Is $200 reasonable or too much?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd recommend getting some. I had a low speed crash (the front slid out on an icy road) and the damage was minimal, just some cosmetic damage, but would've been a lot worse if I had no sliders.

I'm in the UK and they cost about £40 - £50 ($80 - $100) but don't know what they'd cost in USA, just have a look around to get an idea. You can buy some that don't require cutting the fairing on the left side as they come with a bracket, in order to fit this you will need to remove left middle fairing. They are quite easy to fit as you only need to remove engine mount bolt, but on the 05-06 model you need a lock nut socket to do this.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
you can do it. just believe in yourself.

:laugh

but seriously, you can do it. you'd be paying ~140 bucks for taking out 2 bolts, making 1 small cut, and replacing 2 bolts..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will eventually take my bike in and have the dealer install them so all the cutting is done neatly by someone who has done it before and the work will be guaranteed.
I don't even have the cutting tools to do such a job.
I was reading about how the no-cut frame sliders aren't that good and most riders seem to prefer to cut their fairing to install the regular sliders rather than using the no-cut sliders.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's really not that big of a job man, the sliders are cheap and I'm sure you have a friend who has a hole saw drill bit that you can use. $200 is crazy if you ask me. Also, the no cut sliders work just as well as anything else really and if you crash with any kind of speed involved it isn't going to matter what kind of slider you have it's still going to be an expensive repair.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's really not that big of a job man, the sliders are cheap and I'm sure you have a friend who has a hole saw drill bit that you can use. $200 is crazy if you ask me. Also, the no cut sliders work just as well as anything else really and if you crash with any kind of speed involved it isn't going to matter what kind of slider you have it's still going to be an expensive repair.
I have to diddo this response...its gonna be costly if you wreck regardless of brand or configuration....I got the shogun sliders...$120 for rear swingarm, engine mount, and bar end sliders...its called a no-cut crash kit at kneedraggers.com...I installed all of it and will fore warn you that it can be done however the engine mount bolts are rediculously tight...I had to weld a bolt to the left side engine bolt and a nut to the right side engine mount bolt to remove it...i stripped it cause they are so tight from the factory...then tried the bolt removers that some folks recommend but they didnt work for me...so I used a mig welder and welded the nuts and bolts to the end of the existing engine bolts attached the socket and it came off instantly...anyhow which ever route you go I wouldnt recommend cutting the fairing it just seems like bad news cutting on that expensive fairing...hope this helps...i will post some pics of those bolts later...

·
Registered
6 Posts
yea $200 sounds pretty steep. im in nashville and i got a buddy who does everything for $50 a piece out the door... but im a do-it-yourselfer and a perfectionist so i say go for it and just take your time and make your wholes tight as possible...good luck

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
just have a go and take ya time to do it

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have SATO's on mine and they are no cut, but I still believe they will give enough protection. Took me half an hour to mount em using one of the empty bays at work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts