Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if there is a thread on this already but I recently watched a video on why not to run frame sliders because they can actually tweak your frame, if you low slide at a high speed. The video stated that engine cover/clutch cover sliders are the way to go. I had a stunt cage(came with it when I bought the bike) on my bike but I find that too bulky for daily use. Race rails seems to sit a little more flush and I like the look. What is everyone running on their Zx6r?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Not sure if there a thread on this already but I recently watched a video on why not to run frame sliders because they can actually tweak your frame, if you low slide at a high speed. The video stated that engine cover/clutch cover sliders are the way to go. I had a stunt cage(came with it when I bought the bike) on my bike but I find that too bulky for daily use. Race rails seems to sit a little more flush and I like the look. What is everyone running on their Zx6r?
You will get a dozen contradicting answers on this. I can tell you that throughout my racing career I have had frame sliders on all of my bikes, and it is never tweaked the frame.

I can also tell you that the forward frame spur on the ZX6R is very weak, and that is where most frame sliders attach.

Because of this, I have given up on using frame sliders ON THIS BIKE and instead use only the case covers from Woodcraft. I still run frame sliders on every other bike that I own.

Finally, I can tell you that I took a >100mph digger and the case slider did its job perfectly. No damage to the bike other than some fairing repair and a bent front wheel.

·
Director of Moderation
7,703 Posts
You will get a dozen contradicting answers on this. I can tell you that throughout my racing career I have had frame sliders on all of my bikes, and it is never tweaked the frame.

I can also tell you that the forward frame spur on the ZX6R is very weak, and that is where most frame sliders attach.

Because of this, I have given up on using frame sliders ON THIS BIKE and instead use only the case covers from Woodcraft. I still run frame sliders on every other bike that I own.

Finally, I can tell you that I took a >100mph digger and the case slider did its job perfectly. No damage to the bike other than some fairing repair and a bent front wheel.
Interesting to hear this and it's funny to see this thread just a few hours after I had posted a similar question on the STT forum. Was wondering about frame sliders or no frame sliders on track-only bikes. My opinion has always been that it's really based on the design of the bike and the frame sliders. I've seen some really shitty ones that wouldn't work on a 5 mph crash and I've seen some good ones, like what I had on my 1198.

What are these frame spurs you speak of? Sorry for the newb question, still trying to familiarize myself with the ZX6R. Can you point it out in a picture?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Awesome. I see you're very well known on this forum, any advice/input for you is reputable. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting to hear this and it's funny to see this thread just a few hours after I had posted a similar question on the STT forum. Was wondering about frame sliders or no frame sliders on track-only bikes. My opinion has always been that it's really based on the design of the bike and the frame sliders. I've seen some really shitty ones that wouldn't work on a 5 mph crash and I've seen some good ones, like what I had on my 1198.

What are these frame spurs you speak of? Sorry for the newb question, still trying to familiarize myself with the ZX6R. Can you point it out in a picture?
I think the frame spur, he's referring to, is the arm that the frame sliders bolt to?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts

To me, it really comes down to the frame design. I had them on my SV650 (tubular steel frame) and crashed the hell out of that thing. Sliders saved a TON of damage to the bike.

I had them on my GSXR600 and only hit the deck once but again, slider did what it was supposed to with no damage to anything else but the frame on this bike is much beefier than the ZX6R frame.

The frame spur that I am speaking of is the forward most 'leg' of the frame. in the picture below you can see it coming off of the frame just behind the front wheel and pointing down.

That is where the frame slider attaches to and that particular part of the frame is already pretty weak. There have been some cases where a slider can snap off the bottom half of the bolt hole if the slider catches on something.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Frame sliders can save your bike from damage from low speed falls or standing still ones. If you are going fast and you fall, i don't think anything could save your bike from massive damage :bored:

In Greece, frame sliders are not allowed during races or track days, because bad quality ones just brake off and the (longer) engine bolt scrapes the track.

I think cages are only for stunters, since they limit your max lean angle and also your ability to lanesplit :devious

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Frame sliders can save your bike from damage from low speed falls or standing still ones. If you are going fast and you fall, i don't think anything could save your bike from massive damage :bored:

In Greece, frame sliders are not allowed during races or track days, because bad quality ones just brake off and the (longer) engine bolt scrapes the track.

I think cages are only for stunters, since they limit your max lean angle and also your ability to lanesplit :devious
Very good point made in your first paragraph

haha there's different types of cages though, crash cages, which is what stunters mainly use and race rails, which are made to sit a bit more flush to the bike so you can angle more when riding on the street.

·
Director of Moderation
7,703 Posts
To me, it really comes down to the frame design. I had them on my SV650 (tubular steel frame) and crashed the hell out of that thing. Sliders saved a TON of damage to the bike.

I had them on my GSXR600 and only hit the deck once but again, slider did what it was supposed to with no damage to anything else but the frame on this bike is much beefier than the ZX6R frame.

The frame spur that I am speaking of is the forward most 'leg' of the frame. in the picture below you can see it coming off of the frame just behind the front wheel and pointing down.

That is where the frame slider attaches to and that particular part of the frame is already pretty weak. There have been some cases where a slider can snap off the bottom half of the bolt hole if the slider catches on something.
I thought that's what you might've been referring too. Mine definitely don't look like that. Didn't notice that when I bought the bike obviously, but once I took the fairings off I realized those had been modified. I'll have to take a picture of one and post it up, but you can tell it most likely was cut off and replaced with another piece of aluminum that was welded onto the frame...quite interesting for a clean title bike lol...but I guess it was a race bike for most of its life, and nobody bothers with insurance claims on those unless they get stolen.

I agree with you on the design of the frames. My 1198 had a very sturdy frame, being a steel tubular frame. The sliders was basically a solid bar (probably close to 3/4") that replaced one of the engine mounting bolts, so it went all the way through the frame and engine, and it had a pair of nice plastic pucks/sliders on each end. So there really wasn't anything to bend. In my one and only crash, the frame slider took most of the impact and the bike slid off the track and right before it came to a stop, the tires caught some grip on the dirt and flipped the bike over once, and then it fell on the other slider which took most of that impact. All in all, it saved me from a lot of damage. Just had a broken peg, a bent shift lever, and the clutch lever with master cylinder broke off the clip-on. The rest was cosmetic damage on the fairings. Even the tank got away without any damage.

However, I've seen sliders on the ninja 300s we use at the site where I teach MSF classes that are a terrible design. They have a bracket that holds them in place so they can clear the fairing and it's about a 3" offset from the mounting point, so when you drop those, the bracket almost always bends. Saw one that was crashed at about 5 mph and the bracket bend enough to where it gouged one of the engine cylinders to the point that oil was sipping through the crack. Shitty design for a frame slider.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have some Woodcraft Frame sliders, but from a lot of what I've read it seems like it may be a better idea to skip them and just get the engine covers instead.

Are R&G/GB/Woodcraft roughly all the same quality? I know the Woodcraft ones come with an extra skid plate that is replaceable, are those that much better?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.