Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am conflicted on whether or not I should put frame sliders on my bike. My current thought is that frame sliders would really only be beneficial during a low side followed by a long slide on pavement. More often than not I would expect to end up in the grass shortly after going down, not staying on pavement. On grass I can't image frame sliders doing much more than just being something that will dig in and put torque on the frame where it was not designed to take it and act as a focal point for energy during tumbles.

So I'm thinking the best thing to do is just roll with my case guards and not put frame sliders on. But I figured there are some people with a lot more experience than me who might feel otherwise...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I currently have frame sliders on my track bike only because I don't have case guards yet. Once I have a full set I will be taking them off. Right now I can only hope the bike slides once it hits the grass.

Reactions: Gawernator

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Oh boy, you are going to get a million different viewpoints on this one. Here is my take:

I have run frame sliders on my race bikes for many years. I have never had a bad experience with them. They have always done their job and protected the bike. This was all on v-twins with big, chunky frames (SV650, Ducati 848, etc).

I had a single lowside on my GSXR600 and the frame slider did exactly what it was supposed to do with no drama.

The Kawasaki seems to have a very weak front frame spur and I have heard of sliders catching and breaking the bottom of the spur. Also, I-4 bikes are much wider down the bottom so you need to run case covers, usually with sliders on them.

Because of this, I am NOT running frame sliders on my current ZX6R race bike. The engine covers have sliders on them to prevent case damage and after that, you are kind of on your own.

The best answer is to not crash so you never have to find out whether you need them or not.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
879 Posts
^yeah. just don't crash dude. boom problem solved.

lol. case sliders that are flush mounted seem to be the best bet. next time you are out at a CMRA event walk around and count the # of bikes with white plates that have frame sliders.

Reactions: zerolution

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have both on mine. They serve different purposes. Woodcraft sliders are pretty low profile and they even have lower profile pucks. There are a lot of things that can cause a bike to flip. I am not saying frame sliders won't cause it but it can happen either way.

Going with what PS said, my 650 will still scrape the engine cover on the left side even with a slider. It now has a cover on it. The rest of the left side looks practically untouched due to the slider.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I would absolutely advise against frame sliders on the 09s. While they might work well for other bikes, they do no for the 09+. In fact, any 07+ zx6 is essentially the same frame - all of which putting a frame slider on is a bad idea.

"But Woodcraft's make good quality products..." (agreed) "...and they're low profile so they won't break your frame".

Interesting point:

I wrecked: broke my clip on and master cylinder (just the plastic piece on top), dented my tank - oh, and my frame. Get some case covers and call it a day. Don't kid yourself that you'll be okay with Woodcrafts.
-Cody

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I use GB case sliders and Motovation frame sliders. I've gone down once with no damage to the bike other than the slider. They are low profile. If you expect them to save your fairings, they probably won't satisfy you. I just want my frame to survive.

I've seen some racing teams, such as in the following example with WSBK Kawasak; however the sliders are flush with the fairings.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wrecked: broke my clip on and master cylinder (just the plastic piece on top), dented my tank - oh, and my frame. Get some case covers and call it a day. Don't kid yourself that you'll be okay with Woodcrafts.
-Cody
A couple of observations on your pics and yes like PS I've seen all sides of this debate:

1) Those look like no-cut frame sliders
2) Think of all the damage to bodywork breaking that frame saved :devious

I run low-profile Woodcraft cut sliders but I'm not married to the idea of sliders. I've crashed a few times even a highside and in each case they did what they were supposed to do. The tendency I've seen with sliders is they usually are helpful in a lower speed or even garage style tip-over and potentially harmful in a higher speed crash.

It seems to me this is an area that could use some further development. Perhaps a better overall design with better attachment scheme and/or less of a tendency to catch and/ or at least bolts which are designed to shear well before the frame mounting point.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
A lot of people say that frame sliders catch on and flip the bike but I think there are too many variables to confirm that. Sometimes the bike will flip regardless of frame sliders. I still like the low profile type.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
1) Those look like no-cut frame sliders
2) Think of all the damage to bodywork breaking that frame saved
1) They were woodcraft 'cut' sliders. You can see in the picture with the body work that there's a neat little arch cut into the body work
2) Quality body work did a lot more for me than these sliders. I still haven't done any fiberglass to them from crashing and I've wrecked a couple more times since then. Although I will admit, they need some work.
-Cody

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
3 crashes at the track including 2 high sides and 2 of those wrecks the bike passed into the dirt on its side from the track. Sliders worked GREAT all 3 crashes. Bent when they were supposed to and definitely saved my bike from severe damage. In 3 crashes, I have never filed an insurance claim (track fairings and slider kits)

I've used R & G and GB Racing sliders and both performed excellent. They both have crush zones that allow the sliders to bend if they hit something. Did not damage the frame.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.