Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got hit by a pickup 50 miles from home after a 500 mile Deal's Gap trip. I tried to swerve to miss a white S10 crossing four lanes without looking on US72 near Scottsboro Alabama. He took out 3 of us coming back. Guessing he was texting. I couldn't believe it was happening as he slowly crossed the road towards us approaching and never changed his pace until I swerved right to avoid him and he gassed it striking me in the leg with his bumper going about 10 or 15. I was going about 60 when hit. Smashed my leg into the bike breaking several parts but not my leg. It is double its size now though.... Unfortunately Alex on a 2009 Monster ZX6R plowed straight into the side of the truck before having time to slow and is in an induced coma with multiple breaks and a severe head trauma. Third guy laid it down on top of himself as he tried to stop. Driver, a young man, said he never saw us but two of the three had our brights on and I watched him for about 4 seconds as he crossed the three lanes slowly like an elderly blind person or something before hitting us in the far right lane. I hope my friend lives. He is a 25 year old tender hearted rider. Never a bad word about anyone.

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
This post was moved from the 6 Of The Month thread because it sounds like some folks could use some support and more awareness should be brought to this incident. I am very sorry to hear of such a catastrophic incident and I hope your friend makes a speedy recovery. Please post up if there is anything else we can do to show our encouragement.

Reactions: badgerninja

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Let us know if there is a financial need, and if a fund has been set up.
Hoping for a full recovery for everyone involved.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
May you and your friends heal quickly. It's a good reminder to always be vigilant, paranoid, and to never trust a cager.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Prayers going out for you and your friends. Hopefully the driver learned something to and won't be so careless in the future.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Damn man... My thoughts are with with you and your friends. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Was anything done with the driver?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds mind-bending and frightening. Hope the best for all of you. I'll say a prayer for healing for all.

·
Registered
875 Posts
definitely one of my worst fears, i hope you and your friends have a full recovery. i cant stand people who are distracted by their phones on the road. I've almost been destroyed multiple times due to distracted drivers

·
Registered
400 Posts
Prayers go out to u and your friends pucksdown. I've lost a few friends to bikes and sucks because even with being alert it's still not enough to Avoid these careless drivers who don't pay attention to the road and vehicles around them like they should . I pray for a full recovery for you all.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Sorry to hear so many riders got hurt; particularly your friend in the coma. Best wishes all around.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Looking for a sympathy vote. Got hit by a pickup 50 miles from home after a 500 mile Deal's Gap trip. I tried to swerve to miss a white S10 crossing four lanes without looking on US72 near Scottsboro Alabama. He took out 3 of us coming back. Guessing he was texting. I couldn't believe it was happening as he slowly crossed the road towards us approaching and never changed his pace until I swerved right to avoid him and he gassed it striking me in the leg with his bumper going about 10 or 15. I was going about 60 when hit. Smashed my leg into the bike breaking several parts but not my leg. It is double its size now though.... Unfortunately Alex on a 2009 Monster ZX6R plowed straight into the side of the truck before having time to slow and is in an induced coma with multiple breaks and a severe head trauma. Third guy laid it down on top of himself as he tried to stop. Driver, a young man, said he never saw us but two of the three had our brights on and I watched him for about 4 seconds as he crossed the three lanes slowly like an elderly blind person or something before hitting us in the far right lane. I hope my friend lives. He is a 25 year old tender hearted rider. Never a bad word about anyone.
Damnit.
Hate to read this stuff. I am sure you will all make a speedy recovery and everyone will pull through. Positive thoughts sent your way for sure.

·
Registered
412 Posts
So sorry to hear, hope your friend makes a quick recovery. I also hope that driver got a ticket or more...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry so long in getting back. Thank you all for the words of encouragement. My pain is minor compared to my friend Alex who is in a coma in the local NICU. Turns out that the driver was charged with DUI from illegal drugs in his system when blood was taken from him. He had also told the trooper that he took pain medication(also not his) for a back injury about 8:15 a little while before the accident. The problem was that the accident was at 6:55 pm and he was too messed up to even know approximately what time it was. One last thing that I want to whine about... they impounded all vehicles including mine for the investigation, even though mine could have been loaded by my friend and they still haven't released it. At $30 a day storage I could have kept it in a Motel 6 or something. I already have the report and the pickup driver was the only one found at any fault. Thanks again for the support and see you guys at the 2015 Dragon Run... If I get my bike back by then.. I'll buy another if I have to.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sorry so long in getting back. Thank you all for the words of encouragement. My pain is minor compared to my friend Alex who is in a coma in the local NICU. Turns out that the driver was charged with DUI from illegal drugs in his system when blood was taken from him. He had also told the trooper that he took pain medication(also not his) for a back injury about 8:15 a little while before the accident. The problem was that the accident was at 6:55 pm and he was too messed up to even know approximately what time it was. One last thing that I want to whine about... they impounded all vehicles including mine for the investigation, even though mine could have been loaded by my friend and they still haven't released it. At $30 a day storage I could have kept it in a Motel 6 or something. I already have the report and the pickup driver was the only one found at any fault. Thanks again for the support and see you guys at the 2015 Dragon Run... If I get my bike back by then.. I'll buy another if I have to.
If you weren't at fault , and they took it as evidence purposes I don't see why you should have to pay storage cost .. Id look into it. And I pray ur friend Alex has a good recovery. Hopefully it's a medically induced coma so he can heal and get better. Best of luck to u all.. And ride safe everyone

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Thanks for posting up.... make sure you have your insurance working this. Storage fees should not come from you, since you are not at fault. At least up to the point where they release the bike. If it needs to go in to be evaluated, and repaired, storage and transport, should all be handled by someone's insurance. Your riding gear should also be covered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts