Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about dropping $150 and sending out my forks to "Metric Mike" for a fork refresh with springs and oil catered to my weight.

Question is, how do you all support the bike with the forks off? I have seen people use extendable jack stands under the frame sliders, but I dont have any that long.

Just looking for some suggestions, thanks!

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
I use a Pit Bull steering stem front stand. Or any other stem type stand will do. If you can't do it that way you can always try hanging it from straps around the triples.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
I use a Pit Bull steering stem front stand. Or any other stem type stand will do. If you can't do it that way you can always try hanging it from straps around the triples.
+1. Iv got the pit bull, works great for this. also as PG said straps over a ceiling beam.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any decent stand will work you'll need a rear stand to stabilize the bike and the front stand uses a pin that fits below the head set. Check the use market just make sure the pin is the right size. Great investment.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
^ :drool:

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill have to get more specifics for you tomorrow, but I was under the impression (after a conversation with my buddy) that this dude charges $150 for the full fork refresh including springs catered to your weight. It did sound uber cheap which is why I got so amped about it.

It's some dude known as "Metric Mike" who frequents NJMP and is apparently known by almost everyone who tracks their bikes there. He will also set up your suspension for you at the track for $50 which is another great deal.

I will talk to my buddy tomorrow and report back. I also plan to seek out this guy next Friday when I am at the track and have him adjust my suspension for my weight and riding style.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If you don't have a stand, a floor jack with a block of wood underneath the header pipe union works too. It's solid & the bike won't move. The wood's not necessary, guys just like to use it. Or stands underneath the engine.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Ill have to get more specifics for you tomorrow, but I was under the impression (after a conversation with my buddy) that this dude charges $150 for the full fork refresh including springs catered to your weight. It did sound uber cheap which is why I got so amped about it.

It's some dude known as "Metric Mike" who frequents NJMP and is apparently known by almost everyone who tracks their bikes there. He will also set up your suspension for you at the track for $50 which is another great deal.

I will talk to my buddy tomorrow and report back. I also plan to seek out this guy next Friday when I am at the track and have him adjust my suspension for my weight and riding style.
I'm willing to bet the $150 is the labor charge and doesn't cover the parts. $150 labor for that would still be good. Doing a baseline setup is a fraction of the work involved for that and if he charges $50 for a baseline setup then $150 for the other job sounds about right. We have a suspension guy in our club that was charging $20 for a base setup at the track last year. This year he's charging $30 and $40 for the baseline + full weekend tweaks.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you don't have a stand, a floor jack with a block of wood underneath the header pipe union works too. It's solid & the bike won't move. The wood's not necessary, guys just like to use it. Or stands underneath the engine.
This is more what I was hoping for but wasnt sure if it would suffice. Good to know, will likely end up using this method or something like it.

Also, just shot my buddy an email regarding the fork refresh and what exactly teh $150 covers. Will report back shortly.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Straight from my buddy:

"Yes, he does fork refreshes for $150, which means he takes your forks, takes them apart, checks everything, and puts fresh best quality oil in there. If you buy springs he will just drop them in as he’s doing the refresh.

For example, 2 years ago I sent him my GSXR forks from my SV650 for a refresh, and when he got them I asked him if he had springs, he said yeah, asked my weight and how I ride. The springs were $80, and he said he could have thrown a buffer kit for another $20-$40 (I think it was that much). What a buffer kit does is it keeps the spring from hitting the sides of the inside of the fork leg so the spring compresses perfectly every time. The whole thing was like $300 and the bike rode like a dream! He told me the fork oil was black when he took it out and there were a lot of particles.

The seals are like $20-$40 depending on your bike, so if you tell him you want new seals (might as well) he’ll just throw them in when he’s putting it all back together. If you do the forks through him, then you won’t have to pay him $50 to set up your bike at the track, it will be free."

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
This is more what I was hoping for but wasnt sure if it would suffice. Good to know, will likely end up using this method or something like it.

Also, just shot my buddy an email regarding the fork refresh and what exactly teh $150 covers. Will report back shortly.
Yeah bro....it works just fine. I saw Dave Moss do it on YouTube & thought, if it works for Dave.....
Worked for me as well (and 1 man can do it). Padded jack stands underneath an engine hard point are good for additional support as well.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
"Yes, he does fork refreshes for $150, which means he takes your forks, takes them apart, checks everything, and puts fresh best quality oil in there. If you buy springs he will just drop them in as he’s doing the refresh.

For example, 2 years ago I sent him my GSXR forks from my SV650 for a refresh, and when he got them I asked him if he had springs, he said yeah, asked my weight and how I ride. The springs were $80, and he said he could have thrown a buffer kit for another $20-$40 (I think it was that much). What a buffer kit does is it keeps the spring from hitting the sides of the inside of the fork leg so the spring compresses perfectly every time. The whole thing was like $300 and the bike rode like a dream! He told me the fork oil was black when he took it out and there were a lot of particles.

The seals are like $20-$40 depending on your bike, so if you tell him you want new seals (might as well) he’ll just throw them in when he’s putting it all back together. If you do the forks through him, then you won’t have to pay him $50 to set up your bike at the track, it will be free."
Cool, so no parts other than oil which still isn't a bad deal. I do my own forks and even built a fancy dancy spring compressor that I used for the last set I did:

http://zx6r.com/mechanical-technical/40303-my-home-made-fork-spring-compressor.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
dont mean to thread jack but I have a question. If I wanted to setup my suspension for my weight what would I need? I was on race tech website I have concluded that I will need new springs and a gold valve kit. i understand that I will need new seals also since its being taken apart. I dont intend on doing the work myself but aside from that what else would I need? Bottom line is that I want a more stable bike under hard breaking and rough track surfaces.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts