Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just bought a 2000 zx6r j1 does any one know how much fork oil goes in each fork leg thanks bungle

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I belive its set by height not volumn. In order to bleed the forks you'll need to fill them up with the legs all the way compressed and the springs out, then suck the oil out until proper level is achieved. If you buy 3 liters you'll have more than you need, 2 would probably due, but might be calling it a tad close.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
1 litre will be close.

I put less than 500mm in each leg of my 43mm USD TLS forks.

:edit

:doh Your's are probably conventional. You might need more :dunno

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah, I'm only guessing based on other forks as well. I've not done a ZX of that year. What you have to watch is that you will need quite a lot more oil than the forks actually take, because you have to fill them all the way up to blead the air, then suck out the extra oil...You very possibly could do it with two liters but I always buy three so I'm sure to have plenty. I do forks often enough its useful for me to have extra fork oil laying around anyway:)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Download the manual from the "file vault" and do it yourself.

I made this up to set my level by over filling and sucking the excess out, but a zip tie around a screw driver that is used as a dip stick works too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I use a turkey baster with a small aluminum pipe and thumblock on the end. I set the height of the lock with a ruler, then insert the pipe into the fork untill the lock rests on the fork leg and draw out the fork oil untill I can't get any more. Works for me:) Steve's setup looks a bit nicer, but either will do the job just fine. All that matters is that you get the oil down to the proper level without contaminating it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts