Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys new to the forum just wanted to get some thoughts....have 2000 zx6r left fork is leaking been riding around with it cause im broke right now. my questions are should i rebuild them or just replace the left one, seen one on ebay for like 90 shipped.... need to get up and running quick how long would it take me to rebuild the set,can anyone give me a parts list of seals ,washers .......thanks for any info :2fingerlol:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i believe parts would be 1 inner tube guide bushing 2. washer 3.outertubr guide bushing 4 oil seal and 5 dust seal .......................anything else thanks

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
The fork seals and the oil, as long as the tube isn't damaged is all you would need.

$10 liter of fork oil, $10 each on the fork seals ( I am not going to quote a part number, oil viscosity or quantity since you don't state if it is an F,C or E model), So $30-$40 total you can have everything you need

And yes do them as a pair, then you have the same fresh oil in each and the same level in each

Of course you need a few tools and some rags, brake cleaner, air gun is nice for bottom bolt removal etc....

It is about a 2 hour job for a novice with a good mechanical skills and a service manual on one of these

But yes, do try the thin plastic or even a playing card cut under the fork seals and go around a few times. This does sometimes work for varying amounts of time. It is possible to forlong your need to replace them until you have better funds available.

But if it has been leaking for a long time, it will have lost a significant amount of oil--do not let your brake pads get oil soaked, pretty tough to try and clean them effectively to have max braking ever again.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
This is a 14 year old bike and these are wear items. Not sure why you would replace the fork on the "hope" that the parts in it aren't worn out too.

You can try and clean the seals as suggested. It often works.

If you do need new seals, you should do both forks at the same time. Doing only one side is asking for an imbalance in the forks. You will need oil and dust seals as well as inner and outer bushings. Its virtually impossible to get the oil seal out without damaging the bushings. Also, as mentioned, this is a 14 year old part and they are wear items.

Most people never service their forks so expect to find a nasty mess when you get them apart. A good cleaning and new oil will probably make it ride like a new bike.

If you do it yourself, cleanliness is critical. Keep that in mind>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts