Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was wondering if you could share any fool proof tips to reinstalling my forks when I get them back from having new springs, seals, and a oil change. I know to keep the height above the top clamp precise but I'm concerned about aligning them side to side so that my front wheel and axle are perfectly straight. thanks!

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
When you get one the height you want (say 5mm over the top triple as an example)

slide the other one in and install the axle- then get the top to align with the axle in and the lower is truly more important as fork tube assemblies can vary in total length....

more important to have the axle aligned correctly and have the tops 1-2 mm apart than align the tops and have the axle not aligned

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks riverszzr! This is the first time I removed the forks or even loosened the lower triple clamp for that matter. I figure it needs to be straightened regardless of the fork service. I do remember the top of the tubes were exactly .200" above the top clamp. I'll definitely make sure the axle is aligned first and foremost though. so then would you just tighten the triple tree clamps up and install the wheel? Or do you leave everything kinda loose once the wheel is on and press down on the forks till everything rights itself? I Appreciate The help

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
ONe fork to your .200" if that is the height you want

tighten loosely

slide other leg in and install axle
spin the top to whichever direction you want the adjuster or not.... loosely tighten

plate glass or flat edge across the lower (in this case.... the steel inner) to guarantee the fork are truly aligned and not twisted in the clamps

then tighten everything up to the proper torque spec (upper and lower triple clamp bolts)

install wheel, fender etc

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it, thanks man. It may be a few days before I reinstall them Since I'm shipping them to gp suspension in Kent,WA. I'll let you know how I do though haha

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
got it, thanks man. It may be a few days before I reinstall them Since I'm shipping them to gp suspension in Kent,WA. I'll let you know how I do though haha
GP does good work.

·
Registered
879 Posts
i have GP internals on my '13. love it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks again for the help riverszz. The install went pretty smooth although time consuming haha. I do feel better knowing everything is straight and torqued properly. I never did ship the forks to gp suspension though after they told me they were 2 1/2 weeks out on service. I used EDR performance in Beaverton who basically builds race bikes all year round. But apparently getting some .95kg fork springs for these showa bpf was no easy task and I ended up getting some k-tech springs shipped from England. It took a few more days but between the new springs and Motul oil I am a happy camper! On a side note, both gp suspension and EDR talked me OUT of revalving the forks. They said it really wasn't cost effective and that I should just wait till I could get some cartridges And that I'd be happy with the springs and oil for now. Have any of you heard similar advice?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
^ same advice I often give on numerous bikes......... the cost to benefit factor just is not there to revalve many of the cartridge forks---far better money spent to go for new cartridges all together... ie--AK-20 kit

Springs would have been readily available (Omni springs) from Traxxion---and they are the spring to use, nothing worng with K-tech springs, but the centering guide of the Omni springs by traxxion is a much better set up

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ same advice I often give on numerous bikes......... the cost to benefit factor just is not there to revalve many of the cartridge forks---far better money spent to go for new cartridges all together... ie--AK-20 kit

Springs would have been readily available (Omni springs) from Traxxion---and they are the spring to use, nothing worng with K-tech springs, but the centering guide of the Omni springs by traxxion is a much better set up
I know EDR pretty much uses k-tech suspension exclusively so I wasn't too surprised about that. they did say that race tech and ohlins were out of stock though. Huge upgrade from the stock springs and I now have some adjustability finally.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
You will not be disappointed with K-Tech stuff. It is a high end brand that is only now starting to migrate to the US from EU where it is quite a big name. I am running their cartridges and shock and couldn't be happier.

Good on EDR (I've spoken with them a couple of times, they seem like good people) for steering you away from re-valving. Honestly the BPF forks are pretty damn good right out of the box once sprung properly...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts