Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

For track riding AND long days 09 cbr or 09 zx6?

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Alex Gold 
#1 ·
My first post here. I need some time sensitive advise, please.

I do about five, or six track days a year and take many 200 to 350 mile rides during the riding season (I live in Vermont). I'm used to riding naked sport bikes: speed triple, bandits, sv650s, but through my track addiction, I've come to understand why the super sports are built the way they are and the advantages they provide at the track.

I want to get a 600 and I'm willing to give up some comfort (I'm six foot and 200 pounds, I work out a lot, when I ride the 600s I know to hold myself up with my abs) However, I don't want to give up my long days on the back roads and the occasional road trip. And, no, I can't have two bikes--it's gotta be one. I've ridden the 09 cbr and found it to be fairly comfortable, but it's down in features compared to the zx6. I know the zx6 out performs it, but that's less of a concern to me than daily comfort--even as a track rider, I admit that I'm still spending 95% of my miles on the road.

The local Kawi dealer doesn't allow test rides :O So, it's the only 600 I can't test. GSXR is out. How do the 09 cbr and 09 zx6 compare on the street/long rides? I know, hands down, the zx6 kills the cbr on the track, but I've ridden the cbr (hard) and it's good enough for me in terms of track creds.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
Um you do know this is a ninja site right? The answers may be a little bias.

#4 ·
There is a dude on my local sportbike forum that has a 09 ZX-6R and has done cross country trips on it. It is also hailed as the top all around bike. You can add some comfort items so the bike can pull double duty. Same for the CBR, it is a light bike and is very capable too if flat out performance numbers are not your main objective. Check out the aftermarket for both bikes for things like handlebars, better seats, adjustable rear sets, etc to see what comfort items are available for both bikes.

You can't go wrong with either. Get the one with the best combo of $$$ and static comfort.

#6 ·
Honestly, neither will be comfy for a 300 mile road trip. You'd want something less aggressive for long road trips. For that, you need a Ninja 1000. Better ergos, but still a sport bike worthy of twisties. Larger fuel tank and 3 position adjustable windscreen. I'm not exactly in shape, and I only get to ride my bike on the weekends because I have a stupid job, but I can't take more than about two hours on my 09 ZX6R. I bet I could almost double that on a Ninja 1000 or ZX-14.

Oh and get real familiar with adjusting your suspension, cause it made a nice difference for me. I don't know who set my suspension at the factory, but it was WAY out of spec (according to what the manual says the factory settings are SUPPOSED to be). Its much smoother after I took it all to factory baseline standards and adjusted it to my preference from there...

#7 ·
I don't have any track experience but I can throw in my 2cents on streetability.
This past weekend I took a big ride. Not 'cross country' by any means but it was about a 125 mile ride one way. A bit by interstate and a little super curvy Appalachian mountain roads. Of course on the interstate you can take it easy and move around to get comfortable. Only stopped one time each way to fuel up and take a bathroom break. But by the time I got home that night I was ready to hit the bed. Surely not as comfortable as my 250r but dang fun in the mountains. Back to the point... couple hour trips are completely do-able

#8 ·
my personal opinion coming from ducati monster 900 to 06 zx1000r to 09 ZX6r. zx1000 was the most comfortable on long rides.

1000 was most stable on windy rides, less wind on my head/body,

you want comfort on long rides.. 1000 is the way to go.

for your direct answer.. cbr600 and zx6r are about same riding position IMO. go with what you like for looks.. some things to consider...
...both of the 09's are going to have less parts available, as far as used parts goes,
....cbr600 will be more expensive bike and parts
... reliability is arguable (depending on who you talk to)

in the end it all comes down to what you like. I chose zx6r cuz i love the look of it more than cbr.

#9 ·
The local Kawi dealer doesn't allow test rides :O So, it's the only 600 I can't test.
Don't buy a bike from them the whatever you do! What a bunch of knobends! Do they want to sell bikes or not? go to a dealer somewhere that will le you take a demo bike out for a ride before you buy. Sounds like you don't mind long trips so go elsewhere.

Oh, btw...to answer your question, you can't have a race weapon and a goldwing...it ain't possible to have your cake and eat it... so both the CBR and ZX6R are not designed for comfort (as you already know by the sounds of it) so just buy what you want.

#11 ·
Don't buy a bike from them the whatever you do! What a bunch of knobends! Do they want to sell bikes or not? go to a dealer somewhere that will le you take a demo bike out for a ride before you buy. Sounds like you don't mind long trips so go elsewhere.
Biggles... many dealers in the U.S. don't offer test rides for obvious insurance reasons. I didn't test ride mine. It had 0 miles on the clock. I've never test ridden a new bike in 20 years of riding on the street. (I've done plenty of test-ride events and the like though... and it doesn't hurt knowing all the guys at the local dealer.)

I sell high end cars... some of them I will not offer a test drive. And most people interested in an Audi R8 that costs $160k don't want any miles on it anyway... they know they're buying "awesome".

#10 · (Edited)
Being as NON -Biased as possible and simply comparing facts.

The '09 ZX is by far a better machine. The CBR is very nice to ride but down on HP and suspension compared to the new ZX.

I regularly do 300+ mile rides.
And about 5 to 6 track days a year...

Until a brand new CBR comes to market it's out-dated technology pretty much. Least HP in the class... oldest in the class. No brainer dude!

#13 ·
#14 ·
Yeah, unfortunately neither bike is going to be useful for long distance riding. My personal opinion. They are both good for sprints or track riding. But I'm ready to get off my ZX6 after about 90 mins. Get a Ninja 1000 or FZ1. Also, the new FZ8 or Honda CB1000R both look like they would fit the bill.

Shame most dealers don't have demo bikes you can test ride. Odd thing is the BMW/Ducati dealer here has a lot of demo bikes you can test ride by appointment. Last time I was in there, they had an S1000RR and a Diavel available for test rides, along with a Triumph 675. Was tempted but I'm not in the market for a new bike and riding an S1000RR might be really bad for my bank account.

#15 ·
Yeah, unfortunately neither bike is going to be useful for long distance riding. My personal opinion. They are both good for sprints or track riding. But I'm ready to get off my ZX6 after about 90 mins. Get a Ninja 1000 or FZ1. Also, the new FZ8 or Honda CB1000R both look like they would fit the bill.
In the guys post he state "I want to get a 600"

Just an observation. He's asking about the 600's and how they are for long rides. I'm sure he knows he could get a non supersport bike and be much more comfy on the long rides. Just sayin.. :)

The only time I'm not comfortable on my 6R is on the freeway for a long haul. I can ride all day long as long as it's not a freeway. Have put 500 miles on in one day. I'm 37... have carpal tunnel due to 25 years of playing guitar and never have any wrist issues for the most part. I'm also 6'3" tall so a 600 is cramped yes... but the Kawi's have always fit me well...

A new ZX6R isn't an beacon ergonomic touring capability... but it's not supposed to be. It's a supsersport after all. And one I'd happily ride all day long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.