Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

flat black'ed?

10K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  LaFace 
#1 ·
I saw a pic on another forum of a flat black'ed zx6, and it looked smokin' hot. Anybody done that here? He had used krylon, but hadn't clear coated it..any ideas on what I could use to clear coat? just...clear coat? Will that make it glossy-ish?

#2 ·
All you have to do is well one paint the bike black then when you go to clear coat it you gotta buy this special additive that will make it flat. If you don't clear coat that thing its gonna be shity

#3 ·
Just had the back and belly painted flat black.my paint guy says the flat is in the clear coat process.srip ur bike down and have a shop paint it.it will look better and its not that much money

#7 ·
Hey man, I did this to my bike.

I bought matte black paint from the paint shop, so that's black with a matting agent, and added paint hardener so that a clear coat is not needed. Clear coat will make it glossy. Just sand the panels, plastic primer and then matte black paint with hardener.

Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire Vehicle Tire

Green Plant High heels

Automotive exterior Bumper

Chair

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Let me know if you have any questions, I will try and help :)

#23 ·
Hey man, I did this to my bike.

I bought matte black paint from the paint shop, so that's black with a matting agent, and added paint hardener so that a clear coat is not needed. Clear coat will make it glossy. Just sand the panels, plastic primer and then matte black paint with hardener.

View attachment 10257

View attachment 10258

View attachment 10259

View attachment 10260

View attachment 10261

Let me know if you have any questions, I will try and help :)
so you keep your bike in your room and paint it in your kitchen? wish i could do that in my house.

#12 ·
Thanks man. The hardener is Metalux M700 Fast Hardener, product code 8788 if that helps. We bought a litre can and used about two thirds of it.

Yeah we had a bit of a problem with dust, the first coat was absolutely terrible but we sanded it down and tried again and now it's as smooth as a babies bottom :)

#11 ·
I used some flat black John Deere paint my friend had lying around on the '06. The paint HAS scratched a little bit because I didn't put clear but overall it looks pretty good. I'll eventually repaint her later on.

#16 ·
The prep work does the most, clear coat does not strengthen the paint, and most single stage paints look way better than clear coat paints, especially gloss black. If you prep the plastic properly a single stage flat black will last forever, unless you scratch the plastic in which case any paint would be removed regardless of clear or not!

#17 ·
The prep work does the most, clear coat does not strengthen the paint, and most single stage paints look way better than clear coat paints, especially gloss black. If you prep the plastic properly a single stage flat black will last forever, unless you scratch the plastic in which case any paint would be removed regardless of clear or not!
100% right. Don't take short cuts, take your time and do it right the first time.

#19 ·
Ive used Rust oleum flat black paint on my 250 it held up great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.