Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a big crack in the side of the rear plastic above the taillight. (Buying from a friend) Is it cheaper to fix the plasitc or just buy new?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
An 03? No idea about the prices in your area but it shouldn't be too hard to find a place to plastic weld it for cheap. The price killer will be getting it repainted. Because they can't repaint just that section where the crack occurred they have to repaint the entire piece. So that's the whole tail section. It's probably a lot less trouble to buy a new tail section (You can get them pretty cheap on eBay if you're in the US) but it all depends on price I guess.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
bondo + spraypaint = cheap.

to look astounding, however, you must pay

·
Registered
16 Posts
The tail section is made from ABS plastic. You can use MEK to glue it back together. Thats what I did to repair some crash damage. Although it is never as strong as the original material. If you want further details just ask.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
how big is the crack?? just weld it up

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im probably going to weld it from the inside for now and look for a good deal on a used painted tail section.

·
Registered
37 Posts
if you get a 2nd hand section the trick is gettin a colour match to your bike if u cant you will have to respray anyway so its a case of catch 22 do you go for a 2nd hand section and have the possible chance you need to respray it or its not an exact size match and the other you have the section that need repaired its an exact size match just needs fixed and resprayed anyway
me personally i would get the orignal repaired that way you dont have to worry about refitting it you know its gonna fit like a glove

1 - 8 of 8 Posts